1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grantland-Simmons: Reference to Rockets needing a David West type player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yakitori, May 20, 2014.

1. bmd

bmd Member

While I agree, he's wrong about the shooters part.

The Rockets were not loaded with great shooters. They had many average shooters, two good shooters in Parsons and Harden, and one incredible shooter in Daniels who didn't play hardly at all the entire year.

The Rockets need some players who can actually shoot well from behind the arc, and not just average.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I agree that Houston isn't exactly a great shooting team-- see their team 3 point % rank. They shoot frequently from long range, with only average accuracy.

Shooting from the bigs is especially an issue. None of the true bigs is even an especially reliable mid-range or free throw shooter. This makes floor spacing an issue unless the team goes small. Most of the games, the opponent isn't exactly worried about having DMo, Jones, Howard or Asik fire away from 15 feet and beyond.

The Rockets are still a very good offensive team overall despite this (use of small ball when needed helps) but they can be that much better with some competent shooting at the PF/C spots.

3. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Losing in the 1st round to a lower seed was definitely less than the expectations of this team. Just because Morey predicted we wouldn't win a ring this year, doesn't mean we didn't have high expectations. This season was a overall failure

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

People need to stfu about Battier

5. bmd

bmd Member

Agreed.

6. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Totally agree with this....

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

Pierce would be great actually.

8. da_juice

da_juice Member

Any chance we could get our hands on Zach Randolph? I think he's physical enough to match enough with a lot of the other PFs in the West, and he won't clog the paint as much.

I know Gasol and Howard wasn't a success in LA - but I think he could play that West role that Simmons is talking about - maybe take Asik's minutes as the backup 5 while occasionally playing TT with Howard (Gasol has a better midrange game than Asik).

9. JLFan

JLFan Rookie

the Rockets need like an Ibaka... see how different OKC is without him.

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I have no scientific or mathematical basis in this, but I feel like ZBo has been playing with house money the last two seasons. I really feel a big injury that sidelines him for a while is long overdue, that's my fear with him in any trade talks. It's like a player who plays on the suns, you know in phoenix he's going to be healthy, but once he leaves boom it's career over.

11. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

What happen to PatBev? Everyone is off his bandwagon now that Lillard shows that Bev is not as good as a defender that the clutchfans and media is making him out to be.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

No one is off Bev's bandwagon really.

Lillard was just hot in the series. Pat was solid on D. He was far from Houston's top defensive problem. Besides, he was playing through a nasty illness.

But Beverley isn't the "David West" type that Simmons refers to. He won't back down against an opponent, but I don't recall ever seeing him being the type to call out teammates and police the locker room. Kind of hard to be the locker room cop as a 2nd year guy. It seems Beverley is more of a guy who just gets along with other guys.

13. LosRockets2011

LosRockets2011 Contributing Member

Love Bev, he is what Jackson is to OKC or Collison to LA. Rondo would be perfect as our starter.

14. basketballholic

Get out of here!

Beverley was playing with a torn miniscus and a 102 degree fever the whole durn series!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just ..... get off please. Sick and tired of this junk.

15. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I'm much more concerned about getting a coach on the sidelines before we get a coach on the floor.

16. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

For real. Dude was washed up three years ago.

17. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

I think watching that Bad Boys 30 for 30 episode the week before the playoffs really hurt the team. They were so amped up and ready to play 1980s style playoff basketball, the fouls just piled up. Hopefully, they learn from that.

18. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

If anybody could ever underztand him.

19. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Wrong Pacer...not David West...The Rockets need to let Parsons walk and go after Lance Stephenson.

20. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Ehhh...Dwight always b****es. The guy is convinced he never fouls anyone and is always fouled. Granted this happens a lot more nowadays, but he is one of the worst in the league with it.