1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[GRANTLAND] Schaub Story

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by oelman44, Sep 30, 2013.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You should look in his direction right now. He and Schaub and Smitty are trying to win in the 2013 NFL with a 1998 Broncos mindset.

It's quite apparent that the game has, in fact, changed, since then.

2. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

I agree that Kubiak is stuck in 1998. However, I don't agree that you can't win that way. Kubiak's offenses, since he has been here, have been a great success. I'm not going to take Schaub having an aneurysm as a reason to kick Gary out too.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Could?? It *IS* successful. Again, no one thought the NFL had caught up to the Texans' offense 6 quarters ago. They were steamrolling a team most thought had the NFL's best defense. Last year, they finished 7th in offense and most thought it was a *down* year. The offense works *if* it's QB is executing and not playing like a five-year girl.

I know people hate to trot out stats with Schaub because they hate to concede he's not a universally terrible QB - but between 2009 and 2012, he averaged 7.8 yards per attempt. To frame that, PeePee Manning averages 7.7 for his career. They were a chain-moving juggernaut before this stretch. Since last year's MNF against the Pats, he's averaging 6.7 (regular season only), down a whole yard, which is just incredible. And it's now a 9-game stretch so it's no longer an anomaly.

If Schaub is average... we're not giving Kubiak credit for turning an average QB into a league-leading Pro Bowler? I mean, one of them is carrying the other, right? The numbers back that up. So which is it?

4. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Come on man. Let it go. Schaub is done, Kubiak needs to go - quit this. For the last 2 years you've been defending Schaub with some meaningless 'stats' - you need to just stop. Schaub is done.

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Since Kubiak continues to throw out the same fluff of not having his team in the best position to win, and not doing winning things, why does McNair find it acceptable to keep him around??? Week after week, and now for several years, you have an employee that has the nerve to say the same darn thing. If Kubiak is willing to be a sacrificial lamb, then McNair should have the stones to send a message...

But here is the truth.... Bob McNair really doesnt care about a winning product. He cares about a cash creating product. He is a terrific businessman. You cant be a billionaire if you dont know how to operate a business. So this is why the extension of Kubiak and Matt Schaub are perplexing/mind boggling. McNair cares about his bottom line. After the constant spiel of expecting great things for this team, etc etc. Why arent people held accountable.

Why is Joe Marciano still on this team? Who cares why Kubiak thinks about Joe? He doesnt deserve to be a coach on this football team. Why is Matt starting? Why is Kubiak running the same identical plays? All of these questions has the same answer: It doesnt matter if the team does well for McNair; all that matters is his bottomline. The profits he generates every time you buy a jersey or get a ticket to watch this team play keeps him happy.

Once that "bottom line" is lost, I can guarantee that McNair wont be as nice, and his actions will have some bite. I love the Texans as much as the next person here, and there is a great chance i go watch this team play next Sunday. But after every public chance at getting national recognition gets destroyed...the Texans brand gets back to where it deserves to be...in the gutter. And once this brand suffers, McNair will listen.

And if you and I the fans, start sending loud and clear messages to McNair, that his product is substandard, we may start seeing changes. First and foremost, make sure to boo the crap out of Schaub at Reliant this Sunday at the opening snap. He deserves it for making our city look like a laughing stock. You know why people started to leave after the pick six during the Tennessee game?? They had zero faith in the ability for this team to come back. But what we didnt know was that the Texans had a secret magnet on the football and a corresponding glove on DeAndre Hopkins' hands...

1 person likes this.
  6. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

this "mcnair only cares about the money and not winning" stuff doesn't really fly. winning equals MORE money. maybe he's just doesn't have it in him to pull the trigger right now but i can guarantee he cares how the team is doing.

7. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

Apparently it isn't successful when teams are preparing for us and their defenses are able to predict our plays and Schaub's throws. When fans as well as the media complain about the short routes on 3rd and longs (which do us no good), you know the playcalling isn't working.

8. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

They don't need to predict the play when they simply need to follow Schaub's eyes

9. Major

Major Member

Have they really, though? The best the Texans have ever been is 8th in scoring (last year). Their ranks during the Kubiak era are: 28, 12, 17, 10, 9, 10, 8. (and 25 this year)

Is that really a great success when you are supposed to be an offensive genius and have a pro-bowl WR, RB, and TE? Last year, I think they had 6 or 7 pro-bowlers, and they were 8th in scoring. Keep in mind, there are 12 total playoff teams, and assuming all are in the top 15 in scoring, they had probably a below average offense amongst playoff teams - and that was the best they've had.

10. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

Yes, they really have. If they had a better scoring %, they'd be hands down one of the top 3 offenses in the NFL. But they're solidly in the top 25%. I'd say that's great. Not elite, but great.

11. Major

Major Member

Solidly in the top 25% would be top 8. They've been in the top 8 once, and that was at #8. They are barely hanging around the top 30%, in a league where 37% of the teams make the playoffs. And offense is supposed to be their strength.

12. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Need I say anymore...

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ha, they all say the same thing. One in the same - McNair, Kubiak, Schaub. Too bad Rick Smith doesn't speak or we'd hear the same from him too.

McNair: But that wasn’t just Matt; we have 53 people on that team and everybody needs to step it up.

Kubiak: It's not just Matt. We can all do better.

McNair: We need to step it up, I need to do better, everybody needs to do better in this organization to get us there.

Kubiak: I need to be better for him. We can all do a better job.

And we won't comment on the top five-ten status.

14. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

Solidly in the top 25% of offenses. If you're counting scoring only, then of course not. Converting points is the biggest weakness of the offense and always has been, sadly. It's what has kept their from being one of those top 3 elite offenses (Saints, Patriots, etc).

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

The Texans dominate the clock and have long, time consuming possessions...that's a major reason why their scoring is only 8th.

16. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Why aren't you guys REAL fans!!! We have to support our team!!!

:(:rolleyes::):cool::p:eek::rolleyes::confused:

I want to shoot myself in my own face.

17. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

To me, that should be enough to keep them from being 'great successes'. It's kind of important.

18. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

It's a convenient way to diss Kubiak, but it's silly to act like anytime someone says "they're have the best offense!" it by default means points only.

19. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

Wow, I butchered that. Anyway, there are more considerations that go into an offense. For example, yards per play, time of possession, turnovers, etc. Acting as if points is the only measuring stick for offenses is plainly disingenuous.

20. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

no, silly is trying to devalue actually scoring points with those 'great offenses'. Moving the ball without scoring and acting like this is a great accomplishment is a convenient way to try and support Kubiak.

Of course there are other considerations. No one said otherwise. But pinning a 'great success' on an offense that struggles to actually convert points is fairly disingenuous in of itself.