1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Grantland] Mark Cuban on Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by airbulllard, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Cuban's kinda right. We're predictable, but it doesn't mean we're easily countered. It's like Kubiak's ZBS. You know we're gonna run it, but we still avg 5ypc. That's pretty much McHale and Harden to a tee. Should be good enough to beat an inferior team in talent like the Mavericks. But the Clipps or Spurs? That remains to be seen. We may still need our own version of Jon Gruden / Steve Kerr to get us to the promised land.

2. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

No, I just mean that, if you understand how sports works, you don't give those players any additional motivation. Heck, it even applies to star players. Look at Jordan- he said he would find all kinds of reasons to motivate himself. Any slight, whether real or perceived, was fodder for his drive.

Cuban needs no business advice whatsoever, or very little. But he does need advice at times to shut his yap when it comes to sports. No less than Dirk and Carlisle have both stated this clearly- and again, you didn't hear a peep from Cuban in 2011 during the playoffs (of course, 5 minutes after they won the 'ship, he couldn't resist taking potshots).

I would say the exception is Phil Jackson- though with Phil, his comments were always like backhanded compliments rather than outright "we can beat those guys." He would insult cities - you know like Cowtown for Sacramento, and saying that Memphis was like Dresden after the war. You know, if you're a player, and someone puts down your city, you might actually agree with them (I've been to Sacramento, and it's not like it's a cultural mecca).

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The point, though stated poorly, is valid. During the season the time and travel doesn't allow coaches the practice time to implement team specific strategies as effectively as can be done in the playoffs. Coaching is more important in the playoffs.

4. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Ramona...yall already know about her "hack like behavior"

Eddie Sefko used to be a beat writer for the Houston Rockets till he switched sides...trolls

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I hope the Rockets make a great big sign with that says, "that’s not a very good team."- Mark Cuban. And I hope they place it right over the door where the players enter the arena.

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Dear Mark Cuban...thank you...If you think that James Harden and Dwight Howard wont remind their team's role players about this...prepare to see your team demolished.

-sincerely Houston Rockets fans everywhere

(ps. last year Parsons' opened his mouth, and promptly got destroyed by Batum)

7. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

lol. U so funny !

1 person likes this.
  8. dandorotik

I would say, yes, coaching is more important. But without the superstars, particularly the take-over-the-game superstars, you're not going to win. Only happened once since 1970- the 2004 Detroit Pistons. There's a reason why - and I will say that in that case, coaching was it, because Larry Brown, to me, is one of the top 3 coaches all time.

1 person likes this.
  9. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Spot on.

He knows EXACTLY what we are going to do offense, now can they defend it?

I don't really know. I know that the Mavericks are at the mercy of Harden's ability to hit contested jumpshots, and we are at the mercy of the ref's calling the regular-season like fouls.

It's odds, I do not like. This will be a very competitive 6-game series, but much like the Blazers series that I expected us to win...I have to really remain cautious.

We are absolutely horrible at gameplanning, in-game adjustments, and for some reason do not get the benefit of the doubt. It'll take no more than 2 games for Cuban to call out the refs on Harden, and everything will backfire.

10. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

Haha just watched some post practice interview of harden and they asked him what he thought of this comment. Harden just shook his head and laughed and said "no comment"

I think harden,brewer,smith, and howard are all playing to disprove people

Harden- can show up post season
    Brewer- just being traded around
    Smith- people just see him as a cancer
    Howard- people hate howard and think he is soft

The more fuel to the fire the better

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yes but I wouldn't say coaches win the playoffs

12. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

His own damn Dallas Mavericks; they were not MORE talented than the Thunder or Heat. Definitely, not Heat, and that was simply great coaching.

Carlisle is the unanimous 2nd best coach in the league.

13. jscmedia

Speak for yourself fool.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

But they can sure help lose them.

To be fair to McHale, I do believe the refs put us behind the eight ball against Portland. We should have won the first two games regardless. Still, his adjustments, such as they were, were veeeeeery slow in arriving.

Here's hoping McHale has learned well this past year.

15. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Oh come on, the refs didn't do at all.

We basically no made adjustments until Game 3. We let TJones get murdered by Aldridge throughout the first two games, even though we knew in the regular season he murders T-Jones.

McHale lost us the series last season, make no mistake about it.

16. jscmedia

I know what my eyes have seen on the court since the addition of Corey/Josh. I knew Terry would be the best bag of instant cement our money could buy. I laughed when many folks jumped ship on Dwight Howard, (washed up, season over, never be the same).

I will also relish the respect Josh Smith will get after he comes out in this series and is a wreaking ball. I am not concerned with him blowing an extraordinary number of free throws.

I will shout out when Jason Terry drives the daggers thru the heart of Mark Cuban, and it is coming.

I will hit the ceiling when Corey Brew blows open the games with his tenacity and energy.
    I will hit the high fives when Dwight Howard destroys the paint area for any fool dumb enough to go into it.
    I will smile with satisfaction when Trevor Ariza shuts down Monte and cause him to commit charges and silly fouls because he's p.o.'d.

James Harden will be the icing on this cake.

These guys, all of them, are going to come hard and heavy and as Terry said, you have not seen the best of this team yet. He knows what he is talking about.

Dallas has no more to show, the Rockets ceiling is very high.

These are very talented players, and they are going to amaze the doubters, and the search for excuses will begin.

Go Rockets !

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Eric Spoelstra LOL

Rocket River

18. dandorotik

I agree. I did everything humanly possible to win that one.

Sincerely,

James Harden

19. dandorotik

That was good coaching AND a bunch of hungry players who played at their peak during that run. Barea, Kidd, Marion, Chandler, Deshawn Stevenson - they all played above their heads. Carlisle did some things that swayed it here and there- but the Heat, particularly Lebron James, weren't ready for how determined that Mavericks team was. They were not that less talented than the Heat.

20. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I cannot wait to roast these chumps. I want to sweep these clowns, make Dirk think about retiring and have Parsons run out of town for stealing $45 million.