1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Grantland] Listen to Your Heart: James Harden Is the MVP

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sydeffect, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/listen-to-your-heart-james-harden-is-the-mvp/

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Put a little Harden in your heart.

1 person likes this.
  3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The end of the article is the same stupid remark everyone in the media makes:

"The MVP is Harden's but Curry will win it"

I still don't understand the logic behind that considering they still need to vote for the MVP and if voters share the same sentiment as Sharp and others, then why don't they vote for Harden instead of Curry? Unfortunately I know the answer to that question and it's because the voters are a bunch of ball-less lemmings.

Take away Klay Thompson and have him play half a season and see if Curry can get GS to 60+ wins.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Eff these jerkoffs with their "Harden flops" crap. Maybe if they for whatever reason don't like Harden suckering in his opponents....fine. He takes a beating to get to the line.

These same writers never said anything about beloved LeBron or, God forbid, Chris Paul. Watch YouTube videos of those dudes if you want to see some flops. Hell, CP3 even flopped on reflex when a ref walked behind and brushed him during a dead ball.

Sick of this s***.

1 person likes this.
  5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

My Harden soul says he's the MVP

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I guess I'm a homer but I don't see much flopping from Harden this season. On Sunday, I DID see Westbrook flop a few times. I also saw him run/dribble into an unsuspecting Brewer in the backcourt and then flop like he had been shot in order to pick up a cheap foul. He should be fined for that.

Harden gets guys to commit REAL fouls against him. I'm not sure how that is flopping. It's crafty. It's also arguably the most important skill for a player to have when he not only hits his free throws but puts the defense in the penalty. Of course, that isn't so good when the entire front line shoots 13% from the line.

1 person likes this.
  7. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Harden MVP confirmed

8. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

9. steddinotayto

I agree.

Why are people so quick to criticize the way Harden gets to the foul line and not wonder why those idiots that commit the foul never learn or read the scouting report?

"Man..I've seen Harden pull that move about 8 times last night against the Bucks. I'll make sure it won't happen tonight when I guard him"
    Moments later....
    "****....I fouled out."

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Russell Westbrook shoots free throws at a higher rate than Harden. DeMarcus Cousins is close. That's just what happens when you are constantly attacking the basket.

It's a good thing. But for the injury potential, if Curry added more of that attack mode, foul or no foul to his game, he'd be even more unguardable than he is. For injury reasons, good for him for not doing it though.

Otherwise, I agree with Grantland all around on the player descriptions.

11. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

I feel like this article was campaigning Curry as the MVP. Harden flopping? are you serious?

1 person likes this.
  12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

The MVP is a great consolation prize for an early playoff exit. At this point, just give the damn thing to Curry, and then let Harden show he is as good in the post season as he is in the regular season. I would trade the MVP award for a dominant Harden in the playoffs every day of the week.

1 person likes this.
  13. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I don't think that drives to the basket can be referred to as "flops," by proper definition. He DARES people to foul him, and then they do. The fact that Harden literally cannot be stopped from making a layup without fouling him pisses sooooo many people off.

1 person likes this.
  14. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

I don't understand this part.
    You have to be good to get all those fouls. If it was just about flopping then CP3 would take it all. This is just a backhanded compliment article. He sums up his whole take here:
    He mentions that Harden is shooting 51% from beyond the arc but then he says Harden's whole game relies on the officials. What an asshat.

1 person likes this.
  15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I really really don't care if he wins the award, I already know that he has given us an MVP regular season.

The reward is watching James Harden play right now.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I really hope Harden DOESN'T win this award.

I want him to be like Hakeem was when Robinson won.

I want Harden to be pissed about it. He got pissed about Lillard's shot and look at him now.

2 people like this.
  17. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

The author, Andrew Sharp, is an unapologetic Harden and Rockets hater. Really surprised that he would admit that Harden deserved the MVP.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Hell .. take away BOGUT and tell me their record
    If Bogut goes down RIGHT NOW . . . everyone sees Golden state as second round fodder

Rocket River

19. steddinotayto

It's probably because he now realizes that his Washington Wizards should have agreed to trade Beal and parts for Harden when they had a chance to.

20. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

The whole article is one big back-handed compliment. It pushes the tired narrative that Harden doesn't deserve to be at the line, that he plays for the foul, and that he is spoiling the game.

The ratio in my mind is 20:1 with # of times Harden doesn't get a call when he is legitimately hacked vs # of times he embellishes contact or goes as far as to "flop". I've seen him flop maybe once this season, and it was on the defensive side, and it was more of a flinch to someone's elbow coming into his face area.

"People watch Steph Curry and their minds are blown for hours afterward. People watch Harden and the only mind-blowing takeaway is: “WHOA. So he really doesn’t have an ounce of shame, huh?”"

"The MVP is the face of the league. The face of the league can’t be someone whose entire game plan relies on officials. Even if Curry and Harden are dead even, that’s the tiebreaker."

"He’s the most creative scorer on the planet, but he also turns basketball into a flopping Olympics. "

Those were the 3 that pissed me off the most. You know nothing, Andrew Sharp.

1 person likes this.