1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Grantland] Bill Simmons/Jalen Rose Analysis of NBA Teams ('13-'14)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by vstexas09, Oct 2, 2013.

1. finsraider

finsraider Member

15 minutes of Asik + 15 minutes of Casspi >>>>>>>>>> Ryan Anderson

That's why you don't do the deal.

Short of another star player, there really isn't anyone on the market worth giving up 48 minutes of elite rim protection every game. Think about it.......there will be no defensive collapse when Howard comes out.....ever.

1 person likes this.
  2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Anderson's skillset is far more replacable than what Asik can do.

I wouldn't trade Asik for anything less than an All Star or a player + lottery pick

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Abso-f***ing-lutely agree with Commodore and finsraider. Keep Ryan Anderson and his ugly contract far away from my Rockets!

If Simmons can predict ATL flipping Horford to CHI, why not here?

4. Raven

Raven Member

Then Bill Simmons is full of ####, because it should be the other away around. The Rockets should get Anderson and an unprotected first for Asik, and I'm not even excited over that offer.

5. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Anderson would be perfect for this team but Asik's value is too great on this team. This team will have no problems scoring the basketball, over 110 ppg this preseason. We need defense, especially for our second unit and a big man. Or else it will be like like season all over again with our starters playing great and our bench losing our lead. I don't trust Greg Smith defensively or Camby's health and age. So if we are going to trade Asik, I would like to get a back up 5 as well as the prementioned 4 we need if that be Ryan Anderson or whoever. I'm 100% certain that the Pelican' offer of Asik for Anderson has been on the table for Houston to accept but Morey and crew know it's not equal and value straight up and are waiting for a better offer. Anderson and Jason Smith would be interesting though..

6. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMnnp2_jX5c

Though we don't think LS is an elite player, he is very serviceable. The Bucks have finished 8th or close to 8 in the past few years..it makes sense that they are in the TOP 20...i see them as no. 17, but I think they should be 18, as I feel the Lakers are still better.

7. buffalobills!!!

Possibly because of Parsons and his future contract?

8. parksn306

parksn306 Contributing Member

And I agree with you!

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So... I want to know the secret about Dale Davis that they cut out.

10. Chamillionaire

They have the Pelicans too low. They could really be pretty good this year. Anthony Davis is for real. They have 3 good guards and a great stretch 4. (Asik's value > Anderson) They have a capable coach and a decent bench.

I think they'll definitely make the playoffs.

OKC
    SA
    HOU
    LAC
    MEM
    GS

NO
    DEN
    POR

In no particular order, I think the 1st 6 will make the playoff and the last 3 will be fighting for the last 2 spots.

Man, the West is tough.

11. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I don't think NOLA will be anywhere near playoffs contention, realistically. Sure, the three guards can share the ball well and Davis matures into a top 5 power forward this year but it's unlikely. Part of the reason is that those three good guard, one of them is highly turnover prone as we saw Bev destroy Holiday, another one can't consistently make anything past 6 feet (Morey said Evans shoots like 25% from outside the lane) and doesn't take great shots either, and the third is more likely to miss 50 games than play 35 and most likely to be traded this season anyway in Gordon. Anderson, while a great offensive stretch 4 can't guard his position to save his life. The only real bright spot is Davis and hopefully Holiday and Evans, everyone else is just whatever.

I would put a team like Minnesota in their place. Health permitting, I can see them take the 7th seed. With either the Blazers, Denver and possibly the Lakers and Mavs fighting option out for the last seed.

12. bootsdaddy

bootsdaddy Member

Everyone has their own opinion but his "Big Book of Basketball" was really good and I've been reading his column for over ten years. He has a thorough knowledge of NBA history and has gone from a small website to one of the most visible and influential NBA analysts. I guess some find him credible.

13. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Chicago have the same thing going with Butler

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

I gotta disagree with Simmons about the Pelicans. Anthony Davis is a beast, he's going to take a big step forward this year. If Gordon stays healthy, New Orleans has a real shot at the playoffs.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iQZnQU-Ep8w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

That right there is why Dwight is awesome! No matter how he plays, he's the first one to give LA the big F U!!!!

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The 2013-14 Lakers: Defensive apocalypse.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I disagree generally. I find their value to be fairly equal. I'm not an all PER guy... it is clearly offensively favored... but there's a reason why Ryan consistently rates better there than Omer.

Of course, each player brings different value. The question is which is better for this Rockets team? As I noted previously, the Rockets CLEARLY need a backup defensive 4/5 to protect the paint and score putbacks. I just don't actually think this is as hard to find as some. You're not going to get someone quite as good as Asik, but Robin Lopez who's been brought up in this thread is a great example. Kind of a ho-hum 15mpg guy who got some time with the Hornets, and may not have turned it on like Asik did, but actually ended up with a better PER, more scoring at a higher efficiency and more blocks per 36 minutes. The only thing Asik definitively did better than him is rebound the ball, which he did way better, but is that supremely valuable?

Finally, consider role. It's great that McHale and co. keep talking about a DHo/Asik combo, and everybody getting minutes, etc. But reality is reality. Those 2 guys are NOT in any way a good combo at the 4 and 5.... ESPECIALLY with our offensive backcourt players... who like to drive and kick, or drive and find the open big... which works with one big clogging the paint, but not two.

Yes, the offensive problems will be negated somewhat because they SHOULD be so good defensively... but even then, there are ways to attack them defensively (going small) without necessarily getting hurt on the other end - because Asik is a liability offensively and the Howard/Asik combo shouldn't work. So really, Asik is a GREAT luxury to have, but he's a luxury.

And the risk is as the season goes on that it becomes clear it won't work and the Rockets lose leverage when looking to deal Asik.

The upside is it works great, and the defensive double-headed monster is so suffocating it's the perfect pairing. I'm not sold on that being the case though.

So specific to Anderson, he's got his shortcomings no doubt, but he is a great fit for this team. Would I rather have Horford or Aldridge? Sure... but I don't see that happening.

So to me, if you can find a Robin Lopez like backup big - which at THIS POINT is easier said then done, though you'd have one of DMo/TJones to dangle, then an Asik-Anderson swap makes a lot of sense to me.

As for the point of this thread, I kind of agree with Simmons on the Pelicans. I don't see how Holiday/Gordon/Evans makes the most sense. I don't see how you have Anderson coming off the bench, etc.

19. afk

afk Member

HAH! I knew it! Bill gave out the hint by mentioning the Magic Johnson thing on the table. :grin:

20. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Thank you,I mean Omer is a Good Center but People here are acting like we could get Carmelo or something in Return for him,I think we should trade him while his value is High and this would be Till trade deadline cause if he will backup Dwight for a whole Year its Gonna be tough to get equale value for him