1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Grantland] Bill Simmons/Jalen Rose Analysis of NBA Teams ('13-'14)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by vstexas09, Oct 2, 2013.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Clearly Bill Simmons forgot about the Bucks because there is just no way he thinks they're a Top 20 team

2. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

disregard this question..i just forgot the name...

mo money mo prahlems

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Their lottery pick is already done, and surely more to come, they're cursed.

4. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

"Looks like a magnum top" lol. These things are the best! I also recommend watching Story Time with Jalen Rose. So funny!

5. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Both of them seem to be on the boat that Omer is going to NOLA and Ryan Andersen is coming here...now if we could get something more out of it...

6. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

bucks are a top 20 team

7. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I would of loved to have Robin Lopez to back up Dwight if Omer was to be traded to NOLA, but now I don't see anyone that would interest the Rockets because we need a back up center!

8. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Yes, you are right, sir.

9. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Bill even seems to think we'd send our #1 pick with Asik....lol

tbh i suspect Anderson for Asik straight up has probably been on the table since minute 1 of the Dwight announcement, but as someone said, if it had included Lopez (who they traded for an ice cream and 2 candy bars any way), I'd probably do it.

10. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Yikes! great pelican vs. cat video

11. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Decent. Jalen's great!! Simon's knows nothing outside of the Celtics, idiot.

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Teams in the 15-20 range are not great teams.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Interesting bits from the Pelicans preview:

1. Simmons says he heard Pelicans are trying to ship out Eric Gordon.

Don't think Houston now has interest in Gordon even though Morey chased him when he was a FA. We have a high-scoring SG already and Gordon's injury history has only gotten more scary.

2. Simmons suggests an Asik/Anderson trade.

This has been discussed many times, but I wonder if we already have someone in Casspi who can bring the team 85% of what Ryan Anderson does.

If so, do you really sacrifice even 13-15 mpg of Asik playing backup C (plus injury insurance for games Dwight may miss) for Ryan Anderson? I think you'd better off keeping Asik or at least save him for a better trade.

1 person likes this.
  14. basketballholic

Exactly

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

To me, it's a question of value.
    Do I think Asik = Anderson from a value perspective?
    I do... and not just because the move seems to benefit both teams perfectly from a fit perspective.

They're clearly different players who bring value in different ways, but I think about the same overall level of value at the end of the day.

So, to the Casspi question. If the argument is Casspi brings everything Anderson does, then sure, why make the move? But I don't think anything can definitively say that... or anything close to that. Casspi's had a great preseason so far.... but usually coming against other teams scrubs. Last year, albeit his playing time situation was weird, he scored in double digits 5 times. He had double digit rebounds exactly zero times. And he's just not as tall or big as Anderson.

There's a reason Anderson's career low PER is still better than Omri's career high. In real NBA games thus far Anderson is like version 5 of Omri.

I do agree, though, that having a backup big that can keep you stabilized defensively, would be huge. The numbers with/without Asik on the court defensively last year tell you all you need to know. And Greg Smith sucks. this is likely the reason the trade hasn't happened yet. Not because it wouldn't be a fair trade, but because it leaves the team super exposed.

Is there a team out there that would be interested in something like Terrence Jones/Isiah Cannon for a legit backup 5 that is great defensively?

It should be noted, Robin Lopez is no longer with the Pelicans.

16. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Jalen Rose: I think (the team) or (the player) will be better than you think they will be

I think he's said this in every video but doesn't say anything else to back it up. If he thinks every time should be higher on the list than Simmons has it ranked than what teams does he think are the worst?

17. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

Looking at their starting 5, they are a top 20 team. (Top 3 team if you go by actually having to play them in 2k14, So many 3's). I bet they are next though.

18. Sen89

Sen89 Member

I like some of their guys (Sanders, Mayo, Henson, Giannis), but if you've watched them in preseason, they've looked pretty terrible, and they've struggled terribly on offense.

Knight is a horrible PG. He's not a horrible player, but he's not a guy you want running your offense. Mayo looks like he doesn't really care at the moment. Butler is shooting too much, considering he's 47. Sanders is very raw offensively, and Henson has some upside, but still has a lot of developing to do. Ilyasova's offensive skills are best utilized with a playmaking PG, which the Bucks don't have. I had them around 36-38 wins before, but now I'm thinking more like 26-28.

19. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

I agree about the trade scenario,Asik for Anderson straight up,their salaries match and he would be a perfect fit in Houston and he is a decent Rebounder aswell.
    But adding a first round pick with Omer is beyond stupid.

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Never said they were. But when your best player is Ersan Ilyasova or Larry Sanders, you are most likely not finishing as a Top 20 team. All I'm saying.