1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Grantland] All work and no play for JJ Watt

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by newAge_Rockets, Jul 29, 2014.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Let me guess. Someone wanted a picture or something and he didn't do it for them. Must be an *******. :rolleyes:

Hello Papa John :p

[​IMG]

2. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I hope Clowney spends some quality time with J.J. If he puts in half the effort that J.J. does we are going to be scary!

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If he wins a Super Bowl he will be up there with Olajuwon

4. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

This guy is too good to be true. I hope for the sake of those of us who still believe athletes can be role models that it stays that way.

5. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

yup. These are the things that make us remember our childhood idols.

And at the same time, it's that he has brought to life that combination that so many of us have always thought was impossible...or at least extremely rare: "if that guy just cared as much as I would and worked as hard as I would if I was blessed with that talent/natural ability.."

6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

This. No one tops Hakeem.

7. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

A drunk sorority girl didn't get an autograph after a long training session where he is about to pass out. I hear fanatics make these claims all the time. They judge these guys 24 7 and think they aren't allowed to have a one bad moment.

I will say, I can't relate to a guy that works this hard. I'm in good shape and make good money but damn I have to goof off, hit on women, and be lazy a good portion of my life. I'm glad the Texans have him.

8. Remii

Remii Member

Way too early in J.J.'s career for that to be discussed. During those two championship runs Olajuwon had the best two years ever IMO. J.J. being adored off the field is one thing but even having that conversation at this point is blasphemous.

But with guys out of J.J.'s draft class getting big contracts _ it's time for the Texans to make a move. His hard work and dedication is about to pay off.

9. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Clutchfans will turn on him in a second.

10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Calling Watt elite doesn't do him justice. He's historically good. A twice in a lifetime type player. Dre is great, but you can argue 5 other contemporaries equal or better. Not the same case with Watt.

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Not sure - Watt has earned a lot of visible credit in the community, and he's not someone whose likely to run his mouth or go clubbing with a bitter arch-rival.

Although the full spectrum of opinions will always be here, I think Clutchfans will be legitimately sad, not mad, if JJ leaves the Texans.

12. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

You would have said all that about Dre before this year, but go and look at the "Andre Johnson doesn't want to a be a Texan" thread and see how fast people were turning on him...

People are fickle

13. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

And so is Andre Johnson apparently.

14. Remii

Remii Member

Actually you can argue that only one or two WR's have been equal to or better than AJ by the numbers. Watt on the other hand has only had one great historical year and two normal years were he didn't even rank in the top 15 in sacks. Although us Texans fans are building up J.J. with "Paul Bunyan" stories _ one great year isn't close to accomplishing what AJ has.

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

There was nothing "normal" about JJ Watt's 2013 season; he was the most destructive defensive player in the NFL. Any discussion of his long-term legacy is premature, sure - but his first three years are on par with roughly any previous Houston athelte, in terms of results. Off the top of my head, there are only three players who might be ahead of him - again, through just the first three years: Earl Campbell, Jeff Bagwell and maybe Hakeem Olajuwon.

He's on pace to be an all-timer.

#35 Hey Now!, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  16. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Defensive numbers aren't all about stats. Watt's sack were way down last year but he had 9 more QB pressures even though he faced 70 less passes. His advanced stats are off the chart, not just his box score.

17. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

http://wp.advancedfootballanalytics.com/defenderstats.php?pos=DE

Watt is at the top of most categories for DE

18. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

watt only had 2 normal years?! Last year was far from normal and the other was his rookie year, so I think he gets a pass. Thanks for re-affirming my decision to put you on the ignore list.

I wish you guys would stop quoting that dude because it completely ruins the purpose of him being on my ignore list.

19. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

It's truly incredible how delusional he is, but isn't that the way it's been with the YOF's, LOF's and now AJOF's? They claim to be team fans, but are adamant that the way forward in their eyes is always some action that benefits the individual player while damaging the team. The idea that the Texans had any other option in handling AJ this offseason is ludicrous.

20. Remii

Remii Member

This...

Good point sir.

You and Donkey have fun shopping for tampons. Never seen a forum were men bleed over other people's post.