1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grant Hill or Kevin Durant

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, Dec 9, 2014.

Tags:
?

Pick 1

1. Kevin Durant

116 vote(s)
    81.1%
  2. Grant Hill

27 vote(s)
    18.9%
  1. RocketRed84

RocketRed84 Member

I LOVED watching Grant Hill play pre-ankle injury! He couldn't take over a game like KD and never lead a team past the first round by himself.

KD, if healthy, will be Top-10 all time by the end of his career.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I saw Hill in his prime. I'm taking Durant. I need a guy I can go to in the 4th down 2. That guy is Kevin Durant.

3. TheJet

TheJet Member

Reading comprehension needs improvement. C-

Just because I gave credit to Hill doesn't mean I didn't pick a player.

4. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Yeah, his second season he was already 20/10/7 which is really ridiculous. Lack of playoff success is his real issue. He didn't win any playoff series with the Detroit in his prime. The season he was 20/20/7 he had Otis Thorpe and Dumars at about 32 (Hakeem's prime age), Lindsey Hunter, Allan Houston, a young Theo Ratliff. The last season he had Stackhouse, Laettner, Hunter....not enough. By the time Durant is 22 he's in the Conference finals, granted they had 3 of the best position players in the league (eventual best position players). But he was able to win a playoff series without those guys.

Durant for me but Grant really was much better than the old man he became.

5. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Yeah, the Magic would've been fantastic. The conference didn't have real contenders until 2004. They could've been in multiple finals and changed perception of both TMac and Hill.

Another thing is that Grant Hill didn't play great defense until he was a role player in Phoenix. With Tracy as a true alpha dog, maybe Grant Hill takes a back seat and enhances his game on the other end. He definitely had a talent to be one of the best defensive wings of that generation.

But that's a what if. We'll never know.

6. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

First 6 seasons, pre injury.
    The difference is not that big.

Durant the better scorer (26.6 ppg to 21.6 ppg) and more blocks (1.0 to 0.6).
    Grant having more assist (6.3 to 3.1), rebounds (7.6 to 6.8) and steals (1.6 to 1.3)

http://www.basketball-reference.com...01&y1=2013&p2=hillgr01&y2=2000#per_game::none

For nostalgic sake, I'm voting Grant Hill. However I do believe Durant will be top 10 GOAT when his career is over.

7. bongman

bongman Member

Difficult comparison as they are completely different players. Grant is more of a Pippen than anything. But if we are just talking value, I would go with Grant. He helped in distributing the ball and scoring while guarding the best wing or 2 guard.

8. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Pippen was a far better defender, Grant Hill had an amazing 1st step and handle, an advantage over both Pippen and Durant.

I see Durant as both a better offensive and defensive player, so their comparison looks quite one sided to me.

Tbh, I saw Durant as clearly better back in 2012 or 2013, before he became MVP, I remember a similar conversation. Since then the gap has only grown.

Grant Hill was way cooler though, and more fun to watch. But Durant the better player.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Hill fits better with Westbrook - that would have been a dangerous team. Durant fits better with Houston.

10. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Grant Hill to me is probably one of the greatest tragedies in NBA basketball. He was just beginning to scratch the surface of his skill and his injuries derail any shot he had. The guy was just a complete beast and would have been a lock for the HOF. He had all the components in him and you knew he had that "it" factor that would have helped lead a team to the Finals.

I am glad he was able to come back and play in the league as a role player and has found a good life after basketball but it will always be a "what could have been" with him

11. Convictedstupid

Age doesn't matter. The answer is Durant. Pretty easily.

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He could have a team out of the 1st round. I mean if you are truly that good you should be able to at least do that. Even back then the west was better than the east other than the bulls.

13. joeson332

joeson332 Member

how old are you? Lol

14. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

urrrmmmmmmm

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fkhzfPD4b1o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Top 10?

Who of these can he surpass?

Jordan
    Kareem
    Russell
    Wilt
    Hakeem
    Duncan
    LeBron
    Magic
    Bird
    Shaq

16. AXG

AXG Member

Grant spent the majority of his "prime years" injured so we'll never know.

17. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Prime vs prime I will take Hill. He was the better athlete and more balanced player.

18. jlwee

jlwee Member

Turnaround jumper, triple doubles no trouble... i still remember the song.

19. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Well he can still surpass any of them, it depends on how much fantasy we want to employ. It's not unthinkable that he could win multiple titles and MVPs, in which case he'll have a case.

As far as his level of play at his peak so far, I think he already belongs with those players. He's just far behind on accolades and titles.