1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grant Hill and Isiah Thomas call Mike Conley an Elite pg and top 5 in the league, what say you?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, Oct 20, 2014.

1. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Exactly the counterargument I predicted. A stack of excuses, followed by the use of those excuses to prop up your guy. Where have we seen that before?

2. what

what Member

It's not an excuse, it's a fact. A 3 point shooter is inherently more efficient than a 2 point shooter. So a 3 point shooting team is going to be more efficient than a two point shooting team.

Maybe you should consult Daryl Morey on this topic, to educate you.

3. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

He's alright. Not top 5 though. Off the top of my head I would take:

1. Paul
    2. Westbrook
    3. Rose
    4. Curry
    5. Parker

in no particular order, over Conley. You can even replace Parker with Wall and I wouldn't be mad. Nothing spectacular about Conley.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Some people, for instance me will have a hard time taking your opinion too serious when you were literally touting Rudy gay being as good as Kevin Durant. Now you are trying to convince people he is top 5 and teams like the cavs would be eager to trade Irving straight up for him.

14.9 2 6 with good defense is great. But the strong positions in the nba are pg/PF. I bet morey would love Conley on the rockets for 7 million though that is probably top with contract considered.

5. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

I would take Wall over Conley. Wall is a better athlete and has the potential to be the best defensive point guard in the NBA. I like Wall's playmaking ability. If I have to start a team and have to choose between Wall and Conley I'm taking John.

And that's no knock on Conley, he and Dragic are the most underrated guards in the league.

6. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

So many flawed arguments here & I do understand why some of you are hesitant to give 'What' any type or form of agreement since he did say Rudy Gay was going to be good as Kevin Durant, but even still... Conley is again being severely under appreciated just because his stats don't say 23ppg and 6apg.

Again, I'm not saying Conley is elite. Very few elite players in the NBA as of today. I mean there were only 3 elite players on team USA this summer and those 3 are still even questionable. I do think Conley is top 10 for sure though.

Steph, Paul, & Westy are the only given, guaranteed, no point in arguing guys better than Conley. Rose and Rondo are obviously better than Conley as well, but that's like saying Yao was obviously better than Dwight in 2010 or '11. So there's your top 5 guaranteed..or almost guaranteed.

Parker? The only thing Parker does better than Conley is score and play in Pop's system which is one of the friendliest scoring point guard systems in the league.

Wall is my favorite player in the league by far. I love watching him play. I really do think he can become the best pg in the league soon. He has amazing instincts, one of the best on fast breaks, crazy athleticism, great vision and a phenomenal passer. I love the dude foreal. But his jumper simply isn't reliable. That doesn't make Wall mediocre though. He's still great. Just that Mike Conley can do all of that pretty well too, plus a jumper. Also, none of this is based on potential either.

Kyle Lowry has gotten sooo much better since he was with us. You take Lowry over Conley. Lowry just keeps getting better each season. Dragic as well was great last season but it'll be hard to see if he'll be able to duplicate that level of play again this season. I think he does. I don't mind you taking Dragic over Conley either. So I've named you 7 guys who are better than Conley with two having question marks dangling over their heads. (Although I do believe those two guys will return to form)

Irving, Parker, Wall, Williams, and Lillard just aren't there yet. Of course Lillard and Wall are for sure going to be better than Conley some time soon. Probably by the end of 2015. I'm not sure on Irving though. He reminds me of a taller Nate Robinson or something. Scoring wise, he's great. Play making, getting team mates involved, bball IQ, defense, unselfishness though.... I dunno. He's young though so he can definitely change. Irving is still raw and far from a finished product. Let's just hope Lebron got to him before the Cavs ruined him too much.

7. Luke_The_Duke

Luke_The_Duke Member

Agree with above. He is very underrated and i would definitely have him above Pat. He has a lot of Playoff Experience, also from Thee Ohio State University, great program, solid player.

8. Pukimonster

Pukimonster Member

This x100

9. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

Basketball history suggests having a PG who is a ball dominating score-first guard is a recipe for not winning titles.

Magic was ultimately not a point guard in the traditional sense, he was a wing who ran the offense, and just towered over other players. And really you can only point to Isiah Thomas being the only example since the 1980s of a point guard in the traditional sense who led his team to the finals while being the top scorer. Maybe Billups as well but their team defense is what led them to a title, not Billup's offense.

Ultimately the PG is limited by being the smallest player on the floor for his team, and why you'd want to have the smallest guy dominating the ball rather than distributing the ball kind of defies basic basketball logic.

10. what

what Member

Watch the 4th quarter of the kings-grizzlies game last night. This is vintage Conley. It was a beautiful display of basketball and how great conley actually is.

11. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

"Vintage" Conley.. LOL:grin:

Never heard anyone say that before.:eek:

12. rockets13champs

He always puts his numbers solid player

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

I actually don't have an issue with Conley being top 5, there are a lot of solid pgs in the league but apart from CP3, Curry and WB (at his peak when he isn't pouting or selfish or whatever) I can't really think of anyone else who is a cut above the rest so maybe he's in there somewhere along with Parker, Wall, Lowry, Lawson etc.

14. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Paul / Westbrook / Rose (Healthy)

Curry / Conley / Lowry / Parker

Rondo (Healthy) / Wall / Lillard / Irving

Williams / Beverley / Chalmers / Rubio

My top 15, in the tiers, no particular order. So, I'd say he has a shot at top 5, tho id also say he's prolly out of it.

15. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Well, I boned my own list, because I left Dragic and Bledsoe out, so I'd bump Williams and Rubio off, both a cut above that bottom tier.

16. baubo

baubo Member

This thread sounds so much like the Jeremy Lin thread in terms of content. Just replace Lin with Conley and LOF with what.

1 person likes this.
  17. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

Chalmers your top 15 PGs !??!???!? :confused::confused::confused:

18. what

what Member

I don't even think cp3 or curry is better than Conley at this point or even westbrook. Conley plays beautiful basketball, watch conley play, the guy has the best balance of knowing when to shoot and when to pass and he is only getting better.

Conley's instincts are unmatched.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He does not have an elite skill...... maybe his is IQ. JK :p

20. downbytheriver

Every season to fans find a Cinderella story and over rate it cuz the media isn't all over it. It's cute, and Conley is a consistent, solid player, but not in the convo with the game changers. Memphis as a whole is a likely 1st round exit, can't wait to get to April.