1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grant Hill and Isiah Thomas call Mike Conley an Elite pg and top 5 in the league, what say you?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Probably not top 5, but I love players with good defense. He's top 10 for sure.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Pretty crappy start for Conley.

Nothing special.

3. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Parker
    Paul
    Rondo
    Lowry
    Rose
    Curry
    Bledsoe
    Dragic
    Lillard
    Wall
    Kyrie
    Lawson
    Westbrook
    Dwill
    And..
    Lin

In All seriousness point guard has a lot of depth in the NBA and all of these guys are arguably better than Conley except Lin.

4. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

Marc Gasol and Conley play beautiful basketball together, there is a lot of resemblance between Duncan and Parker there.

5. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Conley is being severely under appreciated if people really think this many 1s are better than Conley. Paul, Curry, Westbrook are clearly better than Conley. Rondo and Rose are n/a. The rest of the guys you listed Conley is either better than or about equal.

Kyrie Irving? You serious? The Cavs would easily take Conley over him if they wanted to win right now and probably even the next 5 years if they were wise. Lawson is good, but I would take Conley over him as well because Conley is a better overall player. Lillard, Bledsoe, and Wall are all just not there yet. Maybe later in the season. Most likely next season, but not now. They have their moments of excellence that I won't deny them of, but I'll take Conley for a full 48 minutes as of now. Compared to Dragic and Lowry they are about equals. Williams and Lin are just a joke. Although Williams as been playing better this season.

As Rockets fans we should understand that our team doesn't get enough recognition and that freaking sucks. The media is terrible. It took Dallas signing Parsons & Asik going to another team with a well-liked franchise player to get people to think, "Hey, these guys are actually pretty good!"

When was the last time the media talked about the Memphis Grizzlies though? The guys who beat teams like the Clippers, Spurs, taken the Thunder to multiple game 7s, gone to the Conference Finals? They're becoming just like the San Antonio Spurs except they don't have anything to show for it. (4 or 5 championships) and now Mike Conley is becoming like Tony Parker where people don't realize just how good he is, but don't really give him the credit. I wouldn't go and call him 'elite' because there are few, very few elite players in the league. That's another discussion.

Parker was never the best point guard in the league, but only any given night he had the ability to make you think twice about it. Conley is in the same mold of Parker. Perhaps he's even better than Parker was at his age. But he's never going to get that respect because the media dictates that Kyrie Irving is an elite point guard when he actually isn't.

And that is simply unfair to Mike Conley, Grizzlies fans and especially you because you are being told false information and you are taking it for truth. Conley IS a top 10 point guard in league. He will also get outplayed plenty of nights, but the season is long.

6. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

Westbrook is probably one of the best defenders at his position...

7. what

what Member

Conley has won at least two games for the grizzlies this season with late game shots.

But he has also had a few bad offensive games also. I think that his injured ankle bothers him still.

8. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

Not in my top 10.

9. what

what Member

You're top 10 is flawed. Let me guess: Kyle Lowry, Kyrie, Lin, Dragic, Wesbrook, Curry, Beverly, cp3, Rose, wall.

10. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

John Wall didn't impress you?

11. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

If there were some sort of fantasy draft, there is absolutely no way that Conley would be one of the top five PGs taken. Any argument to the contrary is pure foolery.

12. what

what Member

That's because fantasy drafts are based on points. Again, the one position in basketball, where scoring a lot of points can be considered, in some cases, a detriment to your team, is point guard.

Most point guards that are playing the game today have no clue how to run a team.

Also, Conley has been consistently mentioned by other players about his play: Sam Cassell once brought John Wall to a clippers-memphis playoff game so that he could study Mike Conley. Wall thought it was because Cassell wanted him to study cp3. That was not the case.

Conley is just better at the nuances of the position than 99.9 percent of the players out there.

13. underrated015

underrated015 Member

14. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

In another era, it's quite possible. Conley is...what you would call a "Top 5 caliber" point guard. There's just a lot of damn good point guards right now and top 5 caliber might not be top 5.

Just off hand I'd have Westbrook, Curry, Paul, Derrick Rose's asterisk, Dragic, and Wall before Conley. Lots of other guys about even with Conley.

15. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Ok, not fantasy as in "Fantasy Basketball". Fantasy as in all teams start off with empty rosters and pick new teams. I definitely was NOT talking about fantasy basketball.

And if you're talking about literal points, as in points scored. The last "elite" PG to win a championship was Tony Parker. A scoring PG. And beyond that the only other name that can be dropped is Rondo. And he had a big three.

16. what

what Member

Is this the same draft where Stromile Swift was drafted top 2, Harold Miner was drafted in the lottery and Eddie Curry was a top 5 pick?

Again, I don't doubt that you are right about the whole draft point, however, I would qualify that with the general ignorance of gms in general.

If, however, Pops were to offer HIS top 5 (excluding Tony Parker-bias), I think that Conley would have a better chance at making that list.

17. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

That's a great example of the kind of arguments you make when you have no actual facts on your side.

Conley is so great at running a team, and yet Memphis has never had a top 10 offensive rating while he's been there. Of course, I'm sure that's not his fault. They'd probably be 32nd without him.

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Uhm no, it would be a fantasy draft that consists of actual NBA players which mostly have played in the league for years. Don't know what HS picks have to do with this.

19. what

what Member

Part of the reason the grizzlies have never had a top 10 offensive rating is game planning. If you dug a little further, you would also realize that the grizzlies shot the least amount of 3s of any team in the league, and since offensive rating is based on points per 100 possessions, this fact alone is going to put them behind the 8-ball.

It's analytics, not a deficiency of Mike Conley. In fact, the very fact that the grizzlies were about to be top 15 in theleague last year speaks to how much Mike Conley does to get good shots and not turn the ball over.

20. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Conley is not one of the 5 best players playing PG in the NBA right now but he might be one of the best at doing what people traditionally want/expect a PG to do.