1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grade the Houston Texans OffSeason

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by IronTexan93, Mar 17, 2015.

?

Grade The Texans OffSeason

1. A

25 vote(s)
    29.1%
  2. B

58 vote(s)
    67.4%
  3. C

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. D

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  5. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, overall a good grade but the Hoyer deal was a head-scratcher. I would have preferred a QB depth chart that looked like this:

QB1 - Mallet
    QB2 - veteran backup on the cheap
    QB3 - rookie with potential for upside (not Savage)

2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

So if Dre has a 1,200 yd 10td season will you admit that you were wrong about him being washed up? Or will you make an excuse that those 10tds came versus bad teams????

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

"Veteran backup on the cheap" is code for "total garbage".

I feel much better about our immediate future with Hoyer as the safety net than I would someone like a Bortles or a Petty.

If you're not a fan of Hoyer, that means you have an astounding amount of faith in Mallet, or you're in love with a prospect.

I'm not in either camp. Hoyer has the most potential to push Mallet and/or Savage to greater heights as well as succeed on his own merit.

I don't see the logic in putting all of our eggs in the basket of a rookie/unknown QBs when we're a 9-7 team.

#23 DonnyMost, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  4. rockets13champs

We just need a sorry ass reciever like crabtree

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'll be absolutely shocked that it happened and thrilled that the Colts wasted that many targets on him (it would take something like 190 targets for him to get 1200 yards) instead of going to better options.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Haha, brilliant.

Andre is washed up and won't have more yards than Cecil Shorts. If by some chance he has good stats it's because Andrew Luck is an idiot who doesn't understand who is best options are and forced Andre the ball.

7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

So if he doesn't get 1200 he's washed up and if he does get 1200 then Luck was dumb for throwing him the ball that many times? Give it up Bobby.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's not the argument at all, try to keep up. I said if Andre has 1200 yards then they wasted too many targets on him because going to TY Hilton or the TE spot is better than going to a 34 year old Andre Johnson.

Even if Dre manages to put together one last solid season he'd still be the 3rd option behind the Hilton and the TE spot which means he's likely looking for something around 700-900 yards if he manages to stay healthy. There's a chance that his 700-900 yards ends up being more than Shorts, but 1200 yards is pretty much out of the question unless the Colts are doing something stupid.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He'll probably get 70-80 targets and 900-1000.

Not elite anymore but better than Shorts, and I'm a fan of the signing.

Colts just throw a lot more. 600+ compared to 450 for the Texans.

Of course not having Fitzcraptrick could mean a more pass heavy offense for us.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, note that i never said he's "washed up" I said that he's the 3rd option on his team and as such he won't have a 1200 yard season. Again, all I'm saying is pretty obvious things but for whatever reason it's going over the head of quite a few in here. It's sad.

11. Mr. Clutch

Already backtracking slowly. From washed up to probably 900 yards and better than Shorts.

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yeah, I think a lot of fans, for some reason, are taking for granted that Mallett will be successful and, man... I hope - but it's straight-up 50/50. And if he flames out, no one is going to be upset with the move to Hoyer.

It's a smart gamble all around by BOB; he gets Mallett cheap for a year to find out what he has. And if he doesn't work, he has a stable back-up/stop-gap QB already in place who will know the system and understand his role.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

80 targets gets him somewhere around 46 receptions for somewhere around 500-700 yards.

14. justtxyank

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=9617931&postcount=2030

Edit: That was in response to the Colts posting a picture of Andre and Gore and trying to recruit Wilfork. Just in case anyone needed the context.

1 person likes this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Actually I've said the same thing all along....maybe you've been paying too much attention to the stupid strawman arguments that have been thrown around. I expect somewhere between 700-900 yards and about 4-6 TD's from Andre this season and have said nothing different. I think Shorts could surpass 900 yards as the #2, thus I think Shorts has a good chance of having more yards as the #2 in Houston than Dre as the #3 in Indy.

16. Mr. Clutch

1 person likes this.
  17. Mr. Clutch

What happened to our offense not having a WR2?

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

19. justtxyank

So Cecil Shorts is going to turn back the clock to when he was 25 and average over 17 yards a catch in order to exceed 900 yards on those 45 balls he should expect to catch in this "role" that he fits better than Andre?

Last season he had 53 catches for 557 yards.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, I guess I should have been more specific, I never said that "if he doesn't get to 1200 yards, he's washed up" which was the strawman I was responding to. He's 34 and anyone paying attention can see that his best years are behind him. Take a look at the history of WR's in the NFL, unless you are Jerry Rice, you aren't having many, if any, successful seasons past 34.