1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grade the 2014 Houston Texans Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, May 10, 2014.

?

Rate the Texans 2014 NFL Draft

Poll closed Jun 9, 2014.
  1. A+

9.2%
  2. A

28.0%
  3. A-

26.9%
  4. B+

17.1%
  5. B

8.4%
  6. B-

2.3%
  7. C

2.6%
  8. D

0.9%
  9. F

2.3%
  10. Abstain, courteously

2.3%
  1. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

A, picked up good value at every spot and filled some holes.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Good chance they found 4-5 starters. Right now Clowney, Su’a-Filo, Nix and Prosch could start week 1. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Texans&amp;src=hash">#Texans</a></p>&mdash; PDS (@PatDStat) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatDStat/statuses/465253195384516608">May 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. Remii

Remii Member

It's a lot of A's being handed out. You guys must grade on a curve.

They say this is the deepest draft in years full of talent and they walk away with a guard in a tight end at the top of the 2nd and 3rd round.

I really like Nix but that knee scares the heck out of me... And apparently it scared everyone else off which is why he was dropping. Great value pick if he works out but they shouldn't have traded up for him because he probably would have been there in the 4th. They may have out thought themselves on that one and gave up picks for nothing.

Tom Savage... The chances of finding a high calibre quarterback or a good game managing quarterback (that you can win a super bowl with) in a late round are slim... But they had to draft one.

They drafted Clowney who is the consensus #1 pick... But the Texans didn't want him. They were trying there hardest to trade that pick. And the rest of their draft doesn't reflect their #1 pick.

I give them a nice solid C+

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

I am still so glad Kubiak and Schaub are gone. They were like weights pulling down the whole system. I am very optimistic about BOB and his staff. I think we will see significant improvements across the board. This draft was BOB's first, and I think he did well. I am very hopeful that we are entering the new era of Texan's football. The Texans are going to be more Watt-like. A big, smash mouth team. And many surprises.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

B.

I won't judge players themselves and just the overall look at the draft. And it looks good. Clowney seemed like easily consensus #1. We took some risks with a project in Savage. We took an injury risk in Nix 2 rounds below where he should've gone. There is certainly a plan in place by trying to upgrade the trenches and play physical football.

It's not an A to me because in the end, we still lack a QB. I know it's not the Texans fault that they didn't like anyone enough near the top of the draft. But it still sucks knowing the one year you have the #1 pick and can't pick better than a project QB.

1 person likes this.
  6. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Member

First off let me say I don't care for Rick Smith. I thought he should've been fired. After this draft I really believe that Rick Smith gets input from what kind of players the coaches like. The scouts scout those type of players and then the team chooses the players. Many times around the league you will see guys picked that really don't fit the coaches type of players but this isn't the case for the Texans. I see Rick Smith as a GM that coaches would like to have as their boss. A lot like a "players coach" he seems to be a "coaches GM". That said he should be on a very short lease.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

So, for drafting the consensus guy #1, getting great value in the 4th round, drafting a need at the back of the 4th, and getting the best OG in the draft only calls for a C+.

I guess you had a QB you really wanted them to draft.

8. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I'm torn or have doubts on a lot of our picks...

But I was pissed when we drafted JJ Watt over Prince Amakumora... So yeah, since then I've learned to pretty much just trust the guys making the picks.

9. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

What a dumb ass post... SMDH

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Give me 3 years

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He graded the draft too high.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I guarantee you I wont care about your opinion on this draft in 3 years.

13. Raven

Raven Member

Let's be honest, if Clowney is a stud, the draft is a success, everyone else is just gravy.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

So many people here are so butt hurt that we didn't get a highly regarded QB they can't help but complain about the rest of the draft. I don't think there were any truly great QB prospects, so not taking one doesn't bother me.

Clowney was the best player in the draft, and we got him.

Sua-Filo will start next year, and could be an anchor on the line for a decade.

The Polish Hat could help in both the run and passing game. Potential upside as a weapon. He too will probably start this season.

Louis Nix was regarded as the best NT in the draft. Immediately gives us that interior stuffer. Injury is a concern, but getting a first round talent in the 3rd round is great value.

Tom Savage is clearly a project. He's got the size, arm, and intelligence you look for. We'll see if BOB can coach him up. he could develop into a good starter, he could be a complete flameout, but that's pretty much what you look for in the late 4th round.

Loved the draft, easy A

15. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

weak logic behind your statements

16. Remii

Remii Member

You mean O'Brien didn't get the quarterback he really wanted....Lol. But I like the Savage pick. He intrigues me and we need a quarterback. Savage is the only reason I gave them a C+. He's the guy I'm pulling for the most out this draft class.

They could have picked up a good guard prospect in the 4th-5th round. Maybe not the best rated guard in the draft but a good one. A decent to good guard is not as hard to find as an OT. And they past up on day 1 starters at the OT position. We already have a blocking tight end. Just do like San Diego does and go after a basketball player late in the draft. They past up other impact players at positions of need.

Drafting the #1 consensus defensive player with the #1 overall pick means nothing because they hardly ever end up being the best defensive players out the draft.

17. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Mel Kiper gave the texans an A-

18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I gave them a B+. They needed impact players, and Clowney is expected to be just that. The UCLA OG will definitely start, as will Nix, and the TE will probably start. So getting four starters makes this the Texans' most success draft (though tempering that is the Texan's mediocre at best draft history).

Getting more talent, and bigger/meaner players is a positive. But ultimately, I had to also look at how and where they improved. Going into the draft, the biggest needs were QB, pass rusher (one can argue that order, but IMO QB was the biggest need), NT, ILB, CB, OT, Safety.

Passrusher was definitely addressed, as was NT. But the rest?

We ended the past season with a below average QB (backed by below average backups), and being below average at what is arguably the most important position is damning. We now start the season with Fitz, Savage, and Keenum. Can anyone honestly say we have improved our QB position to at least "average"? I know... next year's draft has four QBs...

Next looking at inside LB, where our best has been saddled with a significant knee injury the past two seasons and our other ILB is a failed OLB being moved inside. We have been attempting to plug this need with midseason signees. Did we address this need at all in this draft?

Next look at defensive backfield (CB or safety). Sure, a better rush will help protect our defensive backs. But did this draft improve our CB or safety skill positions?

What about offensive tackle?

So again, I gave the team a B+. Considering my questions, seems like a high mark. Hard to give it an A-, A, or A+ that others seem to be giving.

#78 NewRoxFan, May 11, 2014
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  19. Remii

Remii Member

Lol... Maybe I did. Or I could be being too harsh because apparently many fans feel this team is just a Clowney, a guard, and a blocking tight end away from being the division champs again.

But if they hit on Savage my grade goes up.

20. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Literally, the worst poster on the Texans board.