1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grade the 2014 Houston Texans Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, May 10, 2014.

?

Rate the Texans 2014 NFL Draft

Poll closed Jun 9, 2014.
  1. A+

9.2%
  2. A

28.0%
  3. A-

26.9%
  4. B+

17.1%
  5. B

8.4%
  6. B-

2.3%
  7. C

2.6%
  8. D

0.9%
  9. F

2.3%
  10. Abstain, courteously

2.3%
  1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Best player in the draft, a guard who hard a first round grade, a NT who had a first round grade, the best blocking TE/FB in the draft, a space eating DE(along with Nix), and a QB who would have had a 1st/2nd round grade had he played on Pitt from year one. Yeah ok.......

2. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Yeah, can't please everyone now days

3. awc713

awc713 Member

thought this was an excellent draft...

outside of clowney, we didn't really have any risky/superstar picks, but overall we added strong, reliable players that can not only play immediately but will also IMPROVE our team immediately.

I really like the type of players we went after today. Gonna play some smashmouth football, thats for sure

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

"Value" only matters on draft day. The only thing that actually matters is the quality and production of the players you took. Unless you are talking about the top 5 picks of the draft, no one cares if you were taken "too soon" if you're an impact player.

Camp and preseason start telling the tale. Season hands out the real grades.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

We desperately needed a TE...and we have no FB on the roster.

Those were both absolutely excellent picks...specially when you consider that we'd be selecting ILB for depth. Our TE and FB will be starters in 2014.

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I gave an A...the reason I didnt give an A+ is because I dont know how I feel about Savage.

I wish we came away with a little bit more of a sure thing at QB, but it is what it is.

The rest of the picks were excellent...and you can definitely see that we had a definitive plan. Very organized, very precise in addressing needs. We just got a lot tougher. A couple more drafts like this one and we could be competitive for a long time.

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

No Manziel. F.
    Jk.
    B. I'm not sure about Savage.

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

There are a few...

F
    acshen, HTown_DieHard, Realjad

Teddy's Bears?

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Not sure I could even grade the 2013 draft yet. I'll let you know what I think about this one in about 3 years!

10. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

See I disagree, I think we desperately need ILB. Reed was crap last year and everyone is assuming he will be just fine in the middle, I'll believe it when I see it. We are also assuming Cushing will roll right back into form. This is his second season ending injury in a row. I think he will come back strong, but can't be sure.

11. Bogey

With all that being said, I like Clowney, the guard and Nix. Don't know much about the rest. Hall sounds intriguing. Not really sold on Savage, seems like he's trying hard to find the next Brady. I gave it a B, left some glaring needs and I don't know enough about the rest to rate it higher.

12. what

what Member

Pretty Much how I feel about it. Clowney and Nix were the best picks in the draft for the texans. If they wouldn't have addressed the qb in the second round or if they would have traded up for bridgewater, they would have gotten a slam dunk.

Taking Su'a-Filo was a major blunder in this draft. You take guys like that when you can afford to take guys like that. Your #1 need was NOT an OG, no matter how good he is. Especially since you already took a 'luxury' pick with Clowney in the first.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is a turnover machine.

13. mazinger

mazinger Member

You see, that's where you are wrong among many others. If you draft on need, you will always be mediocre. CJ is a big blocking TE, the best in the draft. The only reason he didn't end up with NE is because they outsmarted themselves and tried to force the Texans hand by picking Garoppolo. Why would you choose an average ILB when you can choose top position player? BPA over need all day any day.

14. Bogey

I said nothing wrong, I did not say the rest of picks were bad, hard for me to rate them. And yes we do still have glaring needs.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

A, simply because the team did not reach for a QB that wasn't likely to be a franchise guy.

Hard for a team like the Texans to do, especially given the ease at which they probably could have traded up for any QB other than Bortles if they saw a guy they loved.

16. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Years later,

Rick Smith will write a book and he will admit that in the 2014 draft, he was mind f**ked by both Min and NE to steal 2 QB from the Texans and then proceed to waste a 4th round pick on a scrub never played a down in the NFL.

17. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

But but but what about this position?
    Hope to sign a veteran kicker
    [​IMG]

18. finsraider

finsraider Member

Very good. Solid A.

Look....you can't fill all the holes in this team in one draft. So you take BPA that fits your scheme across the board.

Like others have pointed out, the got:

#1 DE pass rusher and best overall player in the draft.
    #1 Guard
    #1 NT
    Best blocking TE and FB
    A high upside QB.

There's a reasonable argument to be made that they had the best draft in the league.

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

Desperately? Really? They had two capable starters with a bunch of others who could compete for the third. There is no FB on the roster because they refused to resign the FB from last year for like $1M.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

They could have brought in undrafted guys for TE as well. At ILB you have a guy coming off major surgery and another playing that positionf for the first time. Yes, it would have been smart to get quality depth. And they waited so long to get DBs.