1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grade the 2014 Houston Texans Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, May 10, 2014.

?

Rate the Texans 2014 NFL Draft

Poll closed Jun 9, 2014.
  1. A+

9.2%
  2. A

28.0%
  3. A-

26.9%
  4. B+

17.1%
  5. B

8.4%
  6. B-

2.3%
  7. C

2.6%
  8. D

0.9%
  9. F

2.3%
  10. Abstain, courteously

2.3%
  1. Nimo

Nimo Member

I didn't understand this either. Even with Reed inside, they still need depth at that position. Instead they are picking up a TE and a FB.

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

A+

The Texans picked two players completely meant to help out JJ Watt and Clowney get
    to 3rd and long situations.

Nix/Pagan-great picks

A TE/G/FB who are possibly the best at blocking for their positions(in this draft).

A QB who had a 2nd round grade from some(picked in the 4th).

This team immediately improves in the red one, against the run, and defending the pass.

Homerun Rick Smith/BoB.

1 person likes this.
  3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

We aren't likely to see immediate fixes at LB or QB (or RT). It would be near impossible to deal with everything. I wouldn't consider Fiedorowicz a luxury pick. Garrett Graham and Ryan Griffin are good options at TE, but neither is elite as an in-line blocker.

Better to draft someone you're high on and think can contribute than pick a random warm body you aren't high on just because it's a position of need.

We'll see what happens the next few months. Some positions are going to be filled by one year placeholders.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What don't you like about them?

5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, this draft had a different feel to it. Whether it's Kubiak gone/less input from Smith...Anyway I thought they did an amazing job with the players they picked...and the trade up. I have a feeling that BOB would have liked to move down from 1- 1, but that it wasn't his call....Just think what this kind of drafting could have done with those extra picks in 1-2.
    So, I gave them an A-....

Clowney is a monster.....

Xavier will be a fixture for 10-12 years on that OL and a likely Pro Bowler.

I think C.J is going to be looked at as a major steal in the coming years.

The same goes for Nix if he can stay healthy.

And after further consideration, I think BOB knows exactly what he has in Savage and will help him become the starter one day. I think Fitz will start off this year, but eventually Case will be the MAN ....for awhile.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

The positions (TE & FB), and the players (Blue, Savage). Great players but not positions the team needs. When they drafted positions of need, they didn't even pick the best players available at their position. I love Clowney, Xavier, and Nix. I'm okay with C.J. and Pagan. They still don't have a slot receiver and ILB. I still gave them a B- because they know about their the players than I do. Hopefully they're right.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When it comes to slot receiver, BOB said before the draft that he thinks that they have one already on the team after seeing everyone in mini camp.

When it comes to ILB, you have Cushing and Reed as starters. I mean they could have drafted depth, but they could bring in undrafted guys just the same.

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Size and physicality across the board.

Thumbs up.

Beyond the actual players, the draft shows a very clear and well thought out plan for the type of player they were looking for. I can tell you by looking at the list exactly what it is they were looking for. I'm not sure I could have done that last year or the year before.

Keep in mind, we are about to enter the 2nd phase of free agency and releases. Teams have aging but expensive guys on the fringe that were only going to get cut if the team could find a replacement in the draft.

Also, at the moment, there is room on the roster for all these guys to make the team, and many of them are going to need to contribute. Even Balentine, Mr Irrelevant, projects as a great special teams guy based on size/speed. None of these guys are gone in a "numbers game". In order to get cut, they'll really have to suck in camp. That opportunity alone is going to make the draft class look better after year 1.

#28 Ottomaton, May 10, 2014
    Last edited: May 10, 2014
  9. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

Should of put this here

1.Clowney-OLB
    2.Su'a-Filo-G
    3.Fiedorowicz-TE
    4.Nix-NT
    5.Savage-QB
    6.Pagan-DE
    7.Blue-RB
    8.Hal-CB
    9.Prosch-FB
    10.Ballentine-S

We hit on a lot but i still think we need more DBs. Overall great draft, really wanted Desir.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

C

They got no value. They wanted to trade down but couldn't. Then they traded up for a guy (Nix) who is an injury risk and was dropping hard.

We didn't get the QB we wanted (Garoppolo) so we said screw it and took Savage who has neither accuracy nor mobility.

Lots of guys with low ceilings. More of a draft for character and positional flexibility than for raw athletic talent (starting in 3rd round).

That said, they get Clowney and addressed some needs, so I won't fail them for now.

11. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

People said that about JJ Watt...

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Seriously? They got the draft's top player that was the draft's top pass rusher, the draft's top Guard prospect, the draft's top NT prospect, and the draft's top FB prospect.....wouldn't you say that was at least "some" value?

13. Mr. Clutch

And this board hated the JJ Watt pick...and the Mario Williams pick.

You'd do well to take the opposite opinion of this board.

14. Mr. Clutch

Value depends on where you take them. It was clear they wanted to trade out of #1.

15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Don't know about these players, but I already like them.... because they're Texans!!

Welcome to Houston!!!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4Iua1oHych4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's clear they wanted to rip someone off, when that didn't happen, they took the best player in the draft.

17. Mr. Clutch

Definitely got size, but gave up speed.

Instead of speedy guys like Mercilus we go big guys like Nix.

Let's see if it works out.

18. Mr. Clutch

Yes, and I said I liked that pick. I like the first two picks.

19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Happy to read all the positive responses. Hope you guys are right.

H-Town!!!!!!

20. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I thought they should have addressed inside linebacker. Don't know if Cushing will be the same and they said they were moving reed to the inside and I don't know if that would work.

I'm not to hung up on quarterback... Yet.