1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grade the 2014 Houston Texans Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, May 10, 2014.

?

Rate the Texans 2014 NFL Draft

Poll closed Jun 9, 2014.
  1. A+

9.2%
  2. A

28.0%
  3. A-

26.9%
  4. B+

17.1%
  5. B

8.4%
  6. B-

2.3%
  7. C

2.6%
  8. D

0.9%
  9. F

2.3%
  10. Abstain, courteously

2.3%
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think an incomplete grade would be the most fair in that we haven't been able to see much from Clowney and Nix. Also tight ends usually have underwhelming first seasons, we can look for Fiedorowicz to either break through next season or we can start doubting him.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I didn't fail to run all those marathons I signed up for, they're just incomplete!

1 person likes this.
  3. Nimo

Nimo Member

It's been a while but I remember when I was in high school I got a progress report every six weeks. It wasn't my final grade but it showed where I was so far. Of course I could change my grade as the semester progresses so an F could become a D or a C. Also an A could become a B or a C. The Incomplete grade was only if some work was pending that could change my grade for that six week period. There is nothing pending that could change how good or bad the rookies played in 2014. That's gone. Now they if by 2017 they've raised the grade from a D to a B, good for them. Right now, it's not so good.

4. Remii

Remii Member

As of now Walter Football has the Texans drafting Landon Collins in the 1st round to replace DJ.... I'm not sure the Texans will go that route in the 1st round but there are some good safety prospects in this draft (I like the LSU kid) and I believe they will draft one. The Texans need to pay some attention to the secondary this off-season.

An 'incomplete' may as well be an 'F' because we are judging by this point and time. And both Clowney and Nix have serious career altering injuries. Coming out of the draft people were saying we had 3-5 players who would start and contribute this year... Now you guys are saying let's wait to see what we got in two years...

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough. Do it however you choose to do it. As for me, I'm not going to grade an incomplete product. I understand your rationalization of the knee jerk "F-" grades and whatnot, but IMO if an F- draft becomes a B draft then you were just wrong the first time. The 2014 draft is done, they aren't adding any new players, if you grade it out low and the players develop, that simply means that your talent evaluation was poor.

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

By your logic every grade is incomplete until the players are past their primes. If only you would apply the same benefit to other QBs in this last draft, but you don't. This proves that you'll say anything to justify your agenda.

7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Injuries=Incomplete.

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Well when you draft a guy with injury concerns coming into the draft...

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, you're just not following my logic. I'm giving an incomplete because I haven't seen enough to properly judge the talent, largely because of injuries. I guess I could give a knee-jerk type of grade, but IMO those are worthless. CJ Fiedorowicz started looking better and better as the season went on and TE's usually make a jump in their second years, we'll know a LOT more about Nix and Clowney this time next year, and we'll probably have a full season of XSF starting to judge him more properly as well.

When it comes to QB's, you can usually judge them pretty accurately after their first season starting, it's not that way with almost every other position. Then again, you probably know that and were just trying to be a dick.

10. Major

Major Member

And yet you were judging them after their first week or two of starting. Drew Brees, John Elway, and many other great QBs throughout history are also glad you weren't in charge of deciding whether they were busts after one season.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Drew Brees is a good example of a QB who didn't come into his own till he was in the right system but even then if you look at his numbers in the proper context you see that only 4 QB's threw for more TD passes the first year he was a starter. When you look at QB's, you have to compare them to their peers, not to the numbers of different eras.

Also, I don't think I've called any QB from last year's draft aside from Manziel and Bortles a "bust"

12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

All injuries that happened this year were from on field activity from "THIS" year.

Seemed kind of unlucky to be honest.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well that's not the story with Nix, but we drafted him knowing he might miss significant time, that's the reason he wasn't a top 15 pick.

14. joeson332

joeson332 Member

D- is fair. Blue shows upside

15. Remii

Remii Member

Brees only played one game his rookie year Major... And that was probably best for him. And I don't know what Bobby is talking about but Brees threw 17 TD's to 16 INT's his 1st full year as a starter which was his 2nd year in the league and 16 other QB's threw more TD's than him... But Brees turned out to be a good quarterback while he was in San Diego before he got to New Orleans. Developing a serviceable to good quarterback doesn't happen over night.

Just the same, as of now the Texans 2014 draft class is garbage.

16. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Realistically speaking, some of the rookies didn't even get half the snaps of starters - and are still learning a complicated system.
    As far as I'm concerned, you have to look at how they have progressed and it seems to me that they all have.
    Now if you want to grade them by comparing them to the best in the NFL, then they are all F's.
    Personally, I think several have shown promise including XSF, Pagan, Blue and Hal.
    Fiedorowicz needs to stop giving up penalties and will immediately be a more valuable contributor and hopefully Clowney and Nix come back from injury hungrier.
    Savage and Labhart also gave us glimpses with their limited time on the field.

17. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

If the following happen:

1st Rd: Jadeveon Clowney - recovers and becomes a solid 8-10 sack per yr guy (but we are always left wondering what could have been...)
    2nd Rd: Xavier Su'a-Filo - becomes an above average LG for the next 8-10 yrs
    3rd Rd: CJ Fiedorowicz - develops into a solid above average blocking tight end (But never close to the next Gronk)
    3rd Rd: Louis Nix III - never amounts to much
    4th Rd: Tom Savage - becomes an average backup in the league
    6th Rd: Jeff Pagan - provides decent depth for 5-6 yrs
    6th Rd: Alfred Blue - back up running back
    6th Rd: Jay Prosch - average fullback
    7th Rd: Andre Hal - decent 4th or 5th corner on a team

Nothing unreasonable in this scenario and would still grade out to a "B"

Give this draft a little bit of time.

18. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

if this scenario plays out, the draft is an F.

sorry, but there was SO much talent in last year's draft & to come away with a bunch of "average players" is not a "B".

19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

A "B"? You must grade on a huge curve. Can't count bouye because technically he was not drafted.

Hopkins- great pick
    Swearinger- slow, limited ball skills, average tackler
    B Williams- cut
    Montgomery- cut
    T Williams- cut
    Quesseberry- may not play again
    Bonner- cut
    Jones- cut
    Griffin- backup te

That's not close to a B. Only reason that class is not a F is because of Hopkins.

20. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

This is the worst case scenario and still produces 2 starters plus 2 or 3 contributors. The average team gets maybe 2 and if they are lucky 3 starters out of a draft.

People forget how bad Duane Brown and Kareem Jackson were as rookies. If a couple of these guys make similar leaps this draft class will be fine.