1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grade Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HROZ, Apr 18, 2019.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is lookin for Freedom.

Freedom Movement.

2. major_major

major_major Member

Shumpert is still in the team, and we gave something of value to acquire him. That alone rules out any A scores. He gets the perfect attendance award.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't see the need for this thread at all, with all due respect.
    This has all been beaten to death multiple times in the GARM.

daywalker02 likes this.
  4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think your expectations are a bit unrealistic. Nobody bats 1.000. What Morey accomplished bringing in three rotation players off the buyout market is remarkable. I'd also argue against the premise that he's done nothing to set us up for the future. The G League MVP might just be a future back up. And I think signing Gary Clark to that three year deal is a good move. Obviously it'd be better still had we been able to get House on a similar deal but with Morey at the helm I'm just not too concerned.

Deckard likes this.
  5. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

??
    He traded one very late draft pick.
    Clearly you have a misconstrued idea of what’s valuable on the trade market.

topfive likes this.
  6. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

I like House as a replacement level player, but not as a centerpiece. I believe the reason that Morey didn’t up his offer to House is that he intends to pursue a major upgrade.

Everything we’ve done so far - minimizing the cost of locking up Capela, getting under the cap to avoid luxury tax, dumping every long term contract on the bench for expiring ones, avoiding overpaying for House - it all suggests that Morey wants the flexibility to pursue a major piece.

Most GMs fall into the trap of overpaying marginal players on multi-year deals. This kills their roster flexibility when a player underperforms their deal, which most mid level players do.

There is a reason why House has been cut in the past. He has holes in his game, especially on defense that prevent him from being a top line player. Morey was happy to offer him a multi year deal at below market value because he knew he could trade that deal as needed.

But I believe he intends to prioritize getting a defensive stopper who can shoot 3s and he needs the financial flexibility to make that happen. A bigger deal to House would have made that more difficult.

napalm06 likes this.
  7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This place has really bounced back from being a cesspool of negativity and tears..... in December.

BamBam likes this.
  8. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Winning will do that.

9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

idk how to grade the offseason - bc i still think there were ramifications that havent been aired...
    I think Bzdelik quit bc of Melo - and I think Melo was axed to lure Bzdelik back into the fold... and I think there was some under the radar blow back from CP3 from the whole debacle (since he was the primary recruiter for Melo)... obviously it eventually worked itself out and everybody is back on the same page and playing good defense... but idk how to rate the whole Melo debacle until knowing what the actualities were... just bad fit? disrespect/undervalue Bzdelik? there's more to the story... imo... u dont recruit a guy as heavily as we did just to kick him to the curb 10 games in...

Signing House was great - but the later fracas was a joke.... sign him, waive to sign Clark to a reg contract, re-sign him to a 2 way, use up NBA time and send him back to d-league while we were short handed to try to strong arm him - only to cave and convert him anyway... i think that was totally mismanaged.... and as far as LT ramifications... idk how converting House vs signing Nunally, TJ, etc... may have potentially offset....

Obviously getting Rivers and Faried was phenomenal... but idk how much of it was luck... teams had to decide to kick these guys to the curb for them to even be in play.... still definite positives...

Getting below the LT was a phenomenal job of finagling... hopefully its set us up for freewheeling spending for the next few years by dodging the repeater tax...

Overall I guess Morey gets a B+... going from last years WCF team to this years team I gotta say is an improvement... but it wasnt always pretty getting to this point - and it even looked rather dicey the first part of the year....

10. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

It’s been a crazy season. Starting with Melo, MCW, Ennis and Knight. Then ending up with Rivers, House, Faried and Shumpert. IDK if Morey was lucky or good but all of the changes worked out. I wish that they still had a medium sized contract to trade but that will likely be Gordon.

For fixing his off-season mistakes and giving the Rockets the deepest squad for the playoffs in the Harden era, I give Morey an A+.

daywalker02 likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think everyone is under immense pressure, Bzdelik was trying to enjoy his retirement for a while, now he is thrown back to the harsh reality of the NBA.

The coaching staff has two guys going 70. Chris is 34, who is slowly but surely becoming a role player, wants to win bad, so of course he thinks Melo can help. He is trying everything.

Those guys are on their last legs, trying to win big here.

The only guy who does not have immense pressure to win but likes to win with not paying the entire tax.

You know, Tilman. One simple grade won't tell the whole story.

kjayp likes this.
  12. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

There will be no demerits for Daryl

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

There are some things we simply won't know until Daryl writes the inevitable book years from now. Coach B doesn't come across to me as someone who would ever say a word. BTW, I'll buy that book whenever it comes out if I'm still around. Something tells me that Morey will do an excellent job and won't need a ghost writer.

kjayp likes this.
  14. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I know I want to read the chapter on SAS game 6 - the meltdown game...
    There were rumors Ariza had stepped at Harden after he went hero ball at the end of game 5 - and lost...
    Was game 6 a quit game? A respected poster alluded that harden was gonna have some Oprah moment admitting to anxiety issues that led to meltdown... never happened....
    Inquiry minds want to know! lol

15. Zergling

Zergling Member

That's a bit of a stretch. Those bad signings were the primary reason we got off to a horrible start.

Inconsequential? That bad start is why we'll have to play the Warriors in the 2nd round and also why Harden won't win back-to-back MVPs.

16. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

I think it is a huge assumption to say that they were THE reason why we got off to a bad start. There were a ton of problems. They contributed to the bad start but maybe 2 or 3 losses? Those guys didn’t make CP3 and Gordon lose their shooting stroke or make Capela come back soft.

17. PatBev

PatBev Member

If only we still had Melo

18. Zergling

Zergling Member

But they did play a huge role in the team's horrific defense.

2 or 3 losses? Just 1 loss is why we aren't the 2 seed, which would've really strengthened Harden's case.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

And thats why Adam Morrison is one of the best players ever, he is a 2 time NBA champ on the same level as Bosh and Dwade twice as good as Barkley and Malone who dont even have 1 ring. Like you say its a result driven league.