1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[GQ] Houston is the New Capital of Southern Cool

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Bob Barker 007, Aug 23, 2018.

1. CCorn

CCorn Member

Most of my family is from Bedford. The people there are TOO friendly. It’s like pleasantville.

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I was deeply saddened when Twin Peaks Waco was shut down permanently after that biker shootout.

Place was only open a few months.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I tend to agree with this. While they say they hate Dallas, they end up loving and rooting for everything from there. I experienced that at Baylor years ago among guys from Ft Worth.

desihooper and Houstunna like this.
  4. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Oh wows !!! Somebody had enough fortitude to acknowledge reality that went against the disposition of a thread :eek::eek:

I've also experienced many Ft Worthers (?) who move to Houston, then claim Dallas.

In this thread, we've given Big D-ouche zero FW credit (not until I asked, at least) - which is only 30 miles away - but Houston gets complete credit for water that's 50 miles away. Lmao.

That said, it's great hearing Houston's advantages - much better food, culture, and museums. Also, DFW has never had anything on Houston's music scene - namely rap and r&b. Heck, we have ZZ Top too. The city has earned many cool points in my perception in this thread.

5. MadMax

I can't figure out if we're agreeing or disagreeing with one another. I'm fine either way.

Sajan likes this.
  6. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Lol. We are clearly agreeing. I "liked" your post.

MadMax likes this.
  7. MadMax

I just liked yours!! :) I'm subscribing to your newsletter immediately!!! ;)

Sajan likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

The pleasing on the eye part will improve with age, and honestly would improve if they didn't rip down everything that is old. Also, don't be fooled, places like NY, LA and CHI have lots of areas that are godawful on the eyes.

9. Buck Turgidson

Good luck with that, mi amigo!

MadMax likes this.
  10. Houstunna

Supporting Member

The Macy's Building downtown comes to mind. It was there for a long while, now it's gone. What other buildings are you thinking ?

And let your sentiment also serve as reminder to those wanting destruction of the Astrodome.

11. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

everyone from austin should leave and move to houston immediately.

Sajan likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

The Kirby Mansion is the latest one that will be torn down.

The Mecon Mansion is another one that has been destroyed.

The Rice Mansion....

Over the years Houston has lost the Shamrock hotel...... The Sam Houston Coliseum, the Milam Hotel, Incarnate Word Academy, the Stuart Building and the Prudential Building. The Rice Hotel was really close to being destroyed, and at least was repurposed as is going for high prices and is in demand.

I am not saying to keep every single building, or even all the buildings I listed.... but part of what makes downtown Chicago as appealing as it is, is that it is hard to tear something down and as a result you have a lot of different period architecture that comes together beautifully. There is no "anchor" in Houston like the Field Museum in Chicago that is connected to Soldier Field and the rest of the museum district in Chicago. There were calls to rip all this stuff down in Chicago for years and now it is the cornerstone of that city.

ima_drummer2k, SWTsig and Houstunna like this.
  13. Papa John

Papa John Member

well then you can't be that cool

Houstunna likes this.
  14. Papa John

Papa John Member

bone hot hispanic chicks, see trees, drink in all counties, not see one non descript cookie cutter after another neighborhood... Most importantly, not have to hang with some of the dorkiest lamest guys I have ever met in my life. Id almost rather hang out with the situation and tommy lee

15. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Guess I agree with your post, except the Hispanic chicks.

Did those mean Dallas girls leave you sexually frustrated ?

16. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Houston has historically black universities too with TSU and HBU, so that adds to culture and cool points.

I don't know if DFW has any.

#76 Houstunna, Aug 28, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Tearing down Pierce Elevated (which has been approved I think) and burying/building greenspace over 59) could be anchors that connect downtown with mid-town and eastside. Houston might not be able to create a Central Park or Grant Park but a Green Halo around Downtown would be great for beauty, charm, and flooding control.

[​IMG]

http://swamplot.com/tag/i-45/
    http://swamplot.com/txdots-plans-fo...tected-cheek-neal-coffee-building/2016-02-10/

Nook likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

Yes, it could certainly help and usually, in the long term these types of expansions prove to be quite good for cities.

19. Papa John

Papa John Member

ha come talk to me when you have finger banged cheryl crowe

20. Buck Turgidson

HBU is not a historically black college.

Reeko likes this.