1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[GQ] Houston is the New Capital of Southern Cool

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Bob Barker 007, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

it's the home of Moog and Make Noise so it's got something going on...

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Houston literally has something for everyone. Sounds like an overused cliche, but it really is true.

"A friend once asked me, 'what can you do in Houston?' and I said to him 'anything you waaaaaant."

- Billy F Gibbons

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

70 people live there.

4. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

What's weird, people say the same thing about Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, and Miami?

5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

IMO... Dallas, Miami, and Atlanta are all cooler than Houston.

Not better, but cooler

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rap albums are named after amusement parks that were torn down there

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I haven't lived in Houston in over a decade, so I feel like my bias has diminished and I can definitively say there is absolutely nothing cool about Dallas, its honestly one of the lamest cities in the country. Nothing I associate with "cool" is anywhere near Dallas

LonghornFan and Harrisment like this.
  8. Houstunna

Supporting Member

I'll just say, most people I've met who aren't from Dallas or Houston think Dallas is cooler --that removes all bias.

But again, I think Houston is better overall.

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's why people overlook the city. Moving from Houston to Boston, and an avid Houstonian who will rep Houston for the rest of his life, cities like Boston easily trounce Houston in the asthetics department.

10. fchowd0311

I think it has nothing to do with the cities but rather Dallas being more renown in the national culture war with major TV series named after it and the Cowboys.

There is more to do in Houston and a more diverse crowd.

11. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Yeah. The Cowboys and the show Dallas is partly reason I think Dallas is cooler. Throw-in the Housewives show too. I don't watch any reality TV, but can recognize the coolness in having it.

Curious... what can you do in Houston that Dallas doesn't offer ?

12. fchowd0311

More regional but the beach, watching a World Series level baseball team, more diverse cusine off the top of my head.

Houstunna likes this.
  13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Those qualify as recognizable, not "cool."
    Not just way more diverse cuisine, but truly world class cuisine. And not just food diversity but overall diversity, ethnic enclaves, etc. I much prefer the bar scene in Houston. Arts are culture are substantially better in Houston, ranging from highly reputably museums to extremely quirky art installations. And yeah, way closer to the water.

Houston's shortcomings (big picture) are that its ugly and there is a lack of respect older/historic buildings (way too much new construction imo).

14. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Being recognizable is usually a cool thing. It's called being popular, the cool kids. It's entertainment. Dallas does have some nice lakes for water enjoyment, too. Having that enormous Football Stadium is great because it attracts so much more entertainment besides the Cowboys. Dallas also seems to have more women - although Houston is pretty damn good.

Houston gets the overall advantage IMO because it has more important things - Med Center, Port, etc. Having the Cowboys and Reality TV is cool, but it's just entertainment.

Great to hear all of Houston's advantages that have been mentioned. Nice

#34 Houstunna, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  15. Buck Turgidson

Did you meet them all at Hooters?

LonghornFan and Blake like this.
  16. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Houston is definitely changing. I used to work in one of the most dangerous area in Houston according to statistics, I was always guarded and luckily nothing happened driving to work at 5am for 10 years. 3 years ago, I went back work at the same area and the whole area is beginning to revitalize with new multi-level houses. Property tax shot way up and it will keep going up with new housings, new roads and improvements around the area. And the people there used to be a one race majority, now I see all kinds.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Mighty Fine is on my real list too.

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Awesome that we're getting props. Not awesome that this will have an impact on real estate prices/taxes.

19. CCorn

CCorn Member

Our Kung fu bar is slightly less racist than Austin’s.

20. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Native Houstonian (still live here)...lived in Dallas from 2005-2007 in Uptown Dallas.

Dallas is much more aesthetically pleasing...it is a prettier city, a lot of which is due to the zoning they have in place and not nearly as many ugly strip centers all over the place. The traffic isn't as bad and at the time they had a better bar scene for people in their 20's. It was just a bit "nicer".

That said, the people were ****ing terrible and the town was full of $30k millionaires, stuck up women (I say this as someone who grew up in upper class Houston) and materialism was rampant. It was also not diverse at all and while they had great BBQ and Tex-Mex and Steakhouses, there was absolutely no comparison to Houston's ethnic cuisines. The best Chinese was PF Changs! Forget about good Vietnamese food...

Houston people were much more chill, relaxed and friendly. It doesn't feel like a mini-SMU like Dallas does. Houston has made HUGE strides in the last 10 years but the sprawl, traffic, weather and overall ugliness due to the lack of zoning will always be strikes against us when people visit. I can see how outsiders would think Dallas was nicer but Houston is a better place to live IMO by a long shot

Houstunna and Torn n Frayed like this.