1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Government Shutdown?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rimrocker, Feb 24, 2011.

1. SunsRocketsfan

2. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

She looks like she's eating goooooood.. Like a nice plump, healthy looking cow.

3. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

4. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I cannot believe that the tea party has such control over the republican agenda that the government is going to shut down because of defunding Planned Parenthood.

really?

Seriously you people need to get ahold of your party

5. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Sounds like a plan to me. But why stop there? Let's get all the waste and unnecessary government expenditures. Planned Parenthood has so many profit centers it can easily fund itself.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I could say how can the Dems allow a shutdown over reducing planned parenthood's budget by 7% in a time of 3.8 trillion deficit. :rolleyes:

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Except the JellyFishOCrats would not be nearly as effective with it.

Rocket River
    . . . *sigh* I fully expect the Democrats to Cave. . .go on Demos. . Surprise me.

8. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

God I wish you deficit hawks would have been around 6 years ago. We might have even stopped a war and financial meltdown

9. Bandwagoner

Hey, pull the troops out of Afghanistan and stop sending over 1.5 million dollar cruise missiles to libya and we can get started.

10. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I can't believe Republicans think that defunding Planned Parenthood will make a significant impact on reducing that deficit. In context of the deficit, the cuts that are being talked about are chump change. Of course, it's not about the deficit. It's about using the deficit as an excuse to cut programs Republicans don't like.

11. Bandwagoner

I agree that the motivation is not for actually cutting the budget. Frankly as someone that is pro-abortion it sucks to cut it. But to be honest, it is a 7% cut to their budget. We need to wake up and realize that when you have a massive deficit, sometimes sensitive cuts need to be made.

12. Major

Major Member

The problem here is that whichever side caves is put in a very weak negotiating position over the much bigger and more dangerous shutdown looming: the debt ceiling fight next month. So neither side wants to appear weak.

At the end of the day, the GOP is going to cave though - because it's only half the GOP that's on this crazy-train: the tea party faction. The rest of the GOP is relenting and that's going to ultimately lead to a deal - mostly likely tonight would be my guess.

Both sides will spin it as a victory for their side and then we'll repeat the whole process in a month - with much more disastrous consequences if they can't sort that problem out.

13. Bandwagoner

Depends on what you call cave. I have seen a compromise where the funding is instead sent to the states to distribute it themselves.

I disagree it is half though. you have the tea party plus the religious groups considering it is planned parenthood.

14. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I can't believe that given our current deficit, Democrats can't manage to stop funding radio stations, cowboy poetry, and abortions. There is no hope for our economy with such people in office.

15. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Actually I'm not sure if this is really a tea party thing. Now its hard to say because a lot of establishment republicans decided to call themselves tea partiers because it was a good chance to rebrand themselves. That said when you look at freshman republicans which are generally a better representative of what one would call the "tea party" this isn't really a pet issue of theirs. The abortion rider is a John Boehner/Mike Pence type production because they decided to be idiots and put this in.

Regardless, Republicans will cave on this. Their party isn't behind this at all and eventually the pressure will cause them to fold.

Dumb strategic move by Boehner, he should have a little more common sense when he KNOWS that Republicans get blamed for something like this. Especially as news keeps filtering out that something as trivial as this is holding up a compromise that would avoid a shutdown.

16. Major

Major Member

There is already a long-standing ban on any government funding for abortion.

There's no hope for a real discussion if you don't even know the basic facts.

17. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I was also sure a deal would be reached, but pushing the deadline wasn't "to distract the general populous". It was for GOP leadership to show tea partiers they would go to the wire. If an agreement would have been reached without theatrics, tea partiers would mercilessly rip Boehner for not showing any backbone. At least now, he can make the claim to be a tough negotiator and limit some of the inevitable complaining.

19. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Does planned parenthood receive tax dollars? Does planned parenthood perform abortions?

20. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Except none of that money can be alloted for abortions. Federal funding goes for family planning, contraception, etc..

It's been like this for years.