1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gov. Perry Wants to Eliminate Medicaid and CHIPs (Child Health Program) in Texas

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why not secede from the federal government?

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

if an adult (parent) sucks and will not get a job, or wastes money on something else instead of getting insurance for there child. why take insurance away from a little itty bitty micro baby?

im joking that sounds like a great plan. i say start 2 to 3 more wars and stop having school for kids past the 5th grade, except for the very smartest and start making them work in the factories. making bombs and such.

3. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Medicaid is a state program not federal that is Medicare. Every state but AZ has Medicaid and recieves federal matching funds for providing basic services. AZ has a similar system called ACHHS.

Also states have what's called reciprocity where if you have Medicaid from TX and you go to NM and get hurt the NM hospital will recieve funding from TX Medicaid according to their fee schedule.

Each state administers its own Medicaid program, if Perry wanted to eliminate Medicaid he probably could, the federal government has no say in it. However Texas would have a HUGE problem on their hands because it is a federal law that ERs must stabilize patients even if they cannot pay. Without Medicaid all of the poor would go to the ER for EVERYTHING, bankrupting the hospitals. The federal government would have to bailout the hospitals through the Disproportionate Share System, (which they already do yearly). I wonder on those grounds if the federal government could block this? Doubtful...

God forgive me but I would love to see this happen just to watch Perry preside over a literal bankruptcy of just about every hospital in Texas.

1 person likes this.
  4. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Rick Perry is not, in any way, a libertarian. A libertarian might not agree with forcing people to pay taxes to support welfare, but no libertarian would propose that people who're dependent on welfare simply be tossed to the wind. Things are never just one way or the other. It's the pervasiveness of this point of view that turns all political discussion into a gathering of monkeys flinging feces at each other.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Does medicaid eligibility change between states? I think it does. I think some states take household income, while others take family income for instance(may be confusing with WIC). It gets so confusing since its a federal program administered by the states. My kids are currently on medicaid, and will soon be transferred onto Peachcare which I believe is GA's CHIP program.

I'd agree that leaving each state up to itself to have medicaid type benefits could have bad consequences.

My problem with Medicaid is that it is an all or nothing program. Making one dollar more than another person could cost you thousands of dollars worth of benefits. We have this guy who works as our janitor once a week. If he makes over $600 for two consecutive months, he loses his medicaid benefit. He has had to work fewer hours at times or have his pay delayed to a less busy month in order to comply with the income limitation.

6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Medicaid does have a spend down component:

http://www.lawv.net/Home/PublicWeb/Library/Documents/MedicaidSpendDown

This is a program for people who have too much income for the regular Medicaid program, but who also have high medical bills. In this program Medicaid can pay some, but not all, of your medical bills.

You must show your medical bills are equal to a required dollar amount. Once you do that Medicaid will pay any additional medical bills. In effect, you "spend down" your income by meeting some of the medical bills.

It is like paying a “deductible” in an insurance policy. You have to pay some first. Then Medicaid will cover the rest.

This benefit is granted for six months at a time. Every six months you will have to meet a new “spend down amount.”

You will be responsible for all medical bills up to your “spend down amount.” Medicaid will cover all medical costs above that amount for the rest of that six month period.

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes that's exactly part of the problem. Working too much can cost you your medicaid. It would be nice to have a single payer system where all of that didn't matter. Then the more you worked just meant you got to take home more money which you could spend on your family and pour back into the economy.

8. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

He is very irresponsible to put his familiy's financial future and/or his kids health in needless jeopardy.

A sterling example of how an ideology largely spread by rich cooks has ensnared ordinary folks to their disadvantage. Poor guy. Poor wife and kids.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'm pro-life! Until you get born, then f*** you, kid!

1 person likes this.
  10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Does he realize that if his kids get sick and he takes them to the ER he will not only be one of those free loading liberals but will also cost the health care system more than if he was on CHIP in the first place?

11. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Of course not. He's a moron, obviously. In fact, he probably thinks that, unlike those other free-loading welfare moms in the ER, he paid for this service fair and square with his oppressively high taxes.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I didn't think there was such a thing.

13. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

He might be so libertarian/conservative besotted that he still won't take the kids and then the school nurse will have to report him to CPS so that they can take the kid to save his life. Hopefully CPs won't be too late.

Maybe his kid can become a libertarian martyr if she should pass away.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

hey, i was able to rep you.

no kidding..this is disgusting.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Ha, you stole my conan quote.

Although I took it out of my sig after about 6 months, so I suppose you can borrow it :)

16. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

glynch thinks neocon/republican/conservative = libertarian. he really knows nothing about libertarianism so dont pay attention to him when he tries to link the two.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i didn't realize you had it in your sig! :grin:

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Really you'd be better of just not paying attention to him in general.

19. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

On the other hand, most so-called libertarians know nothing about libertarianism as well.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What about Emeril, Rachel Ray, Gordon Ramsey and Martha Stewart?