1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gov. Abbott keeping Texas safe from ISIS

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

But if he serves his sentence then he's able to be released into society. So JuanValdez should be able to manage the safety tradeoff.

2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

How do you know this?

3. bigtexxx

he doesn't. He and FranchiseBlade are blinded on this topic and aren't thinking clearly. You've got to put safety as the #1 priority, and then address the rest. It's common sense.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

*offer valid for Christians only

1 person likes this.
  5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Guns have resulted in more deaths than terrorism. Safety is your #1 priority right? Do you want to ban guns?

6. VanityHalfBlack

Hahhahaah, oh man!:grin:

7. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

If only there were a seasonally appropriate story about Middle Eastern people seeking refuge and being turned away by heartless a-holes... :(

1 person likes this.
  8. bigtexxx

hahahaha!

If Nazareth were a hotbed of terrorists, then you might have had something here. You can't just look at one side of the story. It's not that simple.

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

America protecting Americans comes before helping Syrians, period

allowing refugees in endangers American lives, just as it endangered French lives

endangering one group to protect another is not practical

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jesus was big on the kind of excuse making, you're doing now. It's in nearly every bible story there is.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is there new information that it endangered French lives? I thought the attackers so far weren't refugees

12. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Syria was actually one of the more educated and westernized countries in the Middle East. Unlike the Gulf states, Syria didn't grow because of a bunch of oil below the ground. Syria (before the war) had a very well educated middle class. In fact, Syria's government did stuff like banning niqab's from universities and public places and had a large Christian population that lived there openly. This is a sharp contrast from the Gulf States that dont really have a middle class and live off oil and foreign labor. Plus the Gulf States push laws dictated by the religious establishment. Syria until the civil war was a secular dictatorship.

The Syrians have marketable skills and education. This isn't a country like Afghanistan or even Saudi Arabia. Syria actually had a functioning middle class and a strong education system. Their refugees are far more likely to be productive members of society.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Again though, how do you know that you'd be getting the Syrians with marketable skills and education instead of the Syrians with no marketable skills and ties to terrorism.....or we can take this further, how do you know that you won't be getting the Syrians with marketable skills, education, AND that are loyal to ISIS?

In short, you don't.

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Matthew 25:35-40 - New International Version (NIV)

35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

15. NewRoxFan

The latest report was that the Syrian passport left at the scene was a fake.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

yes, he was posing as a refugee, that's the point

17. NewRoxFan

Any possible refugee from any country has a risk that someone could fake a passport and pose as a refuge. So your position is that the Unites States should do a 180 to a long history of helping refugees from any country on the outside chance that one person might fake a passport?

If the U.S. does that, America becomes less of that "city upon a hill—the eyes of all people are upon us" (quoting JFK) or that "tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it and see it still.... (quoting Reagan).

We do that, and the terrorists win...

18. Major

Major Member

The current intel suggests that it was fake in that it wasn't a passport used to get across a border. In that case, it was likely used to make people think that it was a refugee in order to inflame tensions, which is the stated strategy of ISIS.

19. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

It's sad that so many don't realize that these refugees are RUNNING AWAY from ISIS. It's sad that so many don't realize that ISIS has killed more Muslims than any other religion. It's sad that so many don't realize that ISIS isn't against just the "Western" world - it's against anyone that doesn't agree with their ideologies. It's not ISIS vs Non-Muslims. It's ISIS vs HUMANITY.

...interesting take. I wasn't aware that ALL of the refugees would be coming and settling in specifically in Houston. Where did you read this?

Houston cant house everyone? Unless you've been living under a rock, Houston has had one of the largest economic growths over the last 5+ years. You mean to tell me all the population and economic growth came without increased housing for all the people moving to Houston?

Did you know that over 100 refugees have settled in Houston in 2015 alone? How many refugee camps have you seen?

Please check your facts.

Do you realize that there have been over 63,000 refugees to settle in the US this year alone? And how many terrorist attacks have been linked to these refugees on US soil this year? Answer is, ZERO.

Do you also realize that there have been over 750,000 refugees to settle in the US since 9/11? And how many terrorist attacks have been linked to these refugees on US soil over the last 14+ years? Again, the answer is, ZERO.

As a matter of fact, during that same time span, there has been over 406,000 deaths that have occurred due to gun violence.

So are you saying that we should start "Safety first" by banning guns and firearms? Am I understanding you correctly?

2 people like this.
  20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

bigotexxx ran right in to that one.