1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gotta Feel For Seattle.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Marteen, Jun 7, 2012.

?

Will die-hard Sonic fans root for or against the Thunder?

1. They will root for the Thunder to win.

37 vote(s)
    45.1%
  2. They will root against the Thunder.

45 vote(s)
    54.9%
  1. Marteen

Marteen Member

How do you think die hard Sonic fans feel watching this? Or maybe they still cheer for this team even though they are in another city and feel proud?

This is similar when the Oilers moved and went to the Super Bowl. You had Oiler fans rooting for them to lose, others hoping that they win since it wasn't the players' fault.

Are the Sonic fans pulling for or against them? Either way, I feel bad for Seattle. I hope the NBA comes back to them someday..

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

If they're like me, they'll root against....

After all the Oilers put this city through, I could not imagine how distasteful it would be to see them celebrating a championship at a parade in the streets of another city. That's all gone now that the Texans are here and have established an identity...but when we were without a team, it made me sick to my stomach to imagine the Oilers winning anything after leaving town.

3. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Not all Sonics fans were from Seattle.

4. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

Bud Adams had a long history with this city. People hated his guts, for obvious reasons. He essentially packed up and left, at least that's how i felt. He owned the team, and I thus hated his team.

The Thunder didn't have that. A new owner sort of robbed them of their team. Maybe Seattle residents feel different. But Durant was their player, Seattle drafted him. He was supposed to put Seattle back on the basketball map, after Ray Allen was traded.

I wonder how Sonic fans feel.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I hate the Thunder on Seattle's behalf. I'd have to think less of a Seattlite if he was still rooting for the Thunder.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Seattle should have built a stadium...they had their chance.

DD

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Same way most Houston felt about the Titans making a Super Bowl.

I don't have to feel bad for the Seattle. I have not forgotten 1993 and 1996.

8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The city renovated Key Arena, in one of the most expensive renovations in NBA history, in the late 1990s. Less than 10 years later, after mismanaging the team, Howard Schultz sold it to a group of Oklahoma businessmen who had no intention of keeping the Sonics in the city. They "proposed" an arena in Renton, which is far south of Seattle, knowing that it wouldn't get built because it was so far from the city and was estimated to cost around $1 billion.

Can you not see how the city of Seattle was reluctant to play with Clay Bennett when he made it obvious from the get-go that he wasn't operating in good faith?

9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6/10, you got me to reply.

10. dtowninyourtown

dtowninyourtown Contributing Member

Hey at least they got to keep the sonic name, colors, and all that stuff should they ever get another team. That's how it should have been for the oilers and Houston.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

it is nowhere near that simple, da da

12. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Simpler!

Schultz never should have sold to a group that had been attempting to bring an NBA franchise to OKC.

13. 713

713 Member

this.

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I was always kinda annoyed with Houston fans cheering for the Titans. Now that we got another team, it's just ridiculous.

15. Spooner

Spooner Member

My college roommate was from Seattle. He hates the Thunder. He is in a very dark place right now....

16. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Stern could have made up for it by giving the Hornets back to Seattle; Anthony Davis is probably as good of a consolation prize as anything else.

With New Orleans no longer being an option, you have to imagine that the Commish will push the Kings there next year; there's no way he's gonna let his butt-buddy Clay Bennett pay that $30M penalty to the city of Seattle if they don't get a new team by 2013.

The Zombie Sonics owners can go to that special place in hell reserved for child molesters, murderers and Donald Sterling.

17. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

^^^This

18. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

...listening to old Pearl Jam recordings no doubt.

19. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I can relate, seeing the Browns turn into the Ravens and winning multiple Super Bowls soon after.

Friends become enemies.

20. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I was pretty indifferent toward the Titans.