1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

got hit by a drunk driver who was illegal

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by aggie87, Sep 17, 2015.

1. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

have you been contacted by the DA's office yet? in DWIs where there is an accident, the DA will typically contact the victim (or at least they used to) and see if they are out of pocket any money and will attempt to get you restitution (obviously that is not promised). If they haven't contacted you, you can call the DA's office and give the driver's name and DOB and they should be able to put you in touch with the ADA handling the DWI. DWI's aren't a deportable offense, so that fact that she's illegal doesn't mean she has been deported. It's just a thought.

2. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I feel your pain - been in 3 auto accidents - none of them were my fault and the Illegals driving the other car didn't have insurance in any of the accidents.

3. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

^^ Dallas is bad with the illegals. I thought I read somewhere they were arresting them and deporting them at one point

4. Buck Turgidson

Labor Day weekend + midnight + Sharpstown? What could possibly go wrong?

5. Raven

Raven Member

She's already back.

:grin:

6. codell

codell Contributing Member

Previous owner is not liable in any way even if the title never changed hands. Even if he still holds an active policy on the car (doubtful since he sold the car), his carrier would inno way consider the driver a permissible user.

File for uninsured motorist coverage.

7. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

Just curious how do you know this Latin gentleman was "Mexican" possibly from Costa Rica, Honduras, El Salvador?

But then again you are an Aggie so that explains a lot.

8. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Yeah, codell is right. Best you can do to get your deductible back is file a lawsuit in small claims court against the guy who hit you. But he's already deported or something you said? A judgment against him might not lead to anything anyway. Well, just be glad you had insurance. This is why I hope illegals should be able to buy insurance like they do in Utah and other states.

9. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Question for insurance experts: If my friend borrows my car and hits someone resulting in damage/injury-- can the other driver who got hit come after me (via lawsuit) since I hold the car title?

My friend has a non owners car insurance policy so she can borrow any of my cars at any time.

10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Codell will be better than me, but since I'm licensed I should know this (not doing auto much more nowadays is my excuse). So I think it all depends on if your friend borrows with vs without your permission. If he does not have your permission, then it will be treated like someone stole your car and then hit someone...not your fault. If you permit him to borrow your car, then your car's insurance is primary, and his non-owners policy is excess. So if your friend hits me, then I'm suing your car's policy first (your policy) to get it to max out whatever damage he as caused me, then I'm going after your friend's policy after your policy is maxed out. When you're letting others drive your car, you are increasing your risk exposure, even if they have their own insurance (owners or non-owners).

11. Asian Sensation

I guess this is what one resorts to when they can't hangout. :eek::eek::cool::p:confused::eek:

12. Asian Sensation

Rule of thumb. Insurance always follows the car first and then the person.

13. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I never understand people with this attitude. Maybe he can afford a BMW because he doesn't treat $750 like chump change.

14. codell

codell Contributing Member

You nailed it.

When you give someone permission to use your vehicle, they effectively become an insured under your policy.

15. Victorious

Victorious Member

i hate dealing with other people's insurance. *****ing scammers. they will look for reasons to not pay the damage. and if they find something, be sure they will full court press you with it.

16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

So this thread has value for everyone:

Is uninsured driver coverage standard in Texas or is it extra you have to add?
    How much extra is it?

because it looks like everyone needs it

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Uninsured and UNDERinsured is extra, but doesn't cost that much. Which tell me it's not that big of an issue overall.

18. aggie87

aggie87 Member

What's sad was the other insurance company only required a written sentence saying he sold the car 2 months ago to deny my claim... There is something fundamentally wrong if that all is required to prove to your insurance company you sold the car...

19. dragician

dragician Member

Wow, that's double jeopardy!

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Have you ever bought or sold a car privately? The purchaser brings the bill of sale to do the title transfer. The seller's only responsibility is the bill of sale.

Not taking your plates off is weird. I've removed mine when sold. Also, showing insurance information with the state 2 months after you sold a vehicle is strange. It does make you question whether a real sale took place.