1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gorilla Shot after Child Enters Enclosure

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Hustle Town, May 30, 2016.

?

Was the Cincinnati Zoo justified in shooting the gorilla to save the child's life?

1. Yes, you have to save the child's life in this situation. Humans are more valuable than gorillas.

35.3%
  2. Yes, but the child and/or parent is at fault here.

44.8%
  3. No, the animal's life should be valued over the child.

4.3%
  4. No, the child should be punished for being stupid and entering the enclosure.

7.8%
  5. Other/Too Ambiguous

7.8%
  1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Gorillas actually learn from their mistakes, and arguably better than humans, FWIW.

Opposable thumbs and complex vocalizations FTW. We just get a lot more chances to make and fix mistakes than Gorillas do.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This is what a responsible parent looks like.
    [​IMG]

3. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Where's Bill Cosby when you need him?

5. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Who F'ing cares if the parent was acting responsible or not. It's irrelevant. Parent shaming accomplishes nothing.

To my original point, the zoo itself should make modifications to avoid this from happening again. Incidentally, the zoo has already done that.

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">As attacks on the media become more and more heated, it is important to remember the vital work that the media does: <a href="https://t.co/Ni4RIc0eJU">pic.twitter.com/Ni4RIc0eJU</a></p>&mdash; Conservative Pundit (@DemsRRealRacist) <a href="https://twitter.com/DemsRRealRacist/status/737686811632226304">May 31, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dear Lord.

8. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Getting Trump's opinion on the matter is pretty much consistent with the circus-like media coverage he gets anyway. Softball questions. Few followups. Free pass to change subjects and avoid answering tough questions. Horse race coverage with no investigative work.... The gorilla question is just par for course.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Connies love b****ing about everything minor.

Trump did it for the free press and village idiots like CNN and Fox ate it up, hook, line, and sinker.

10. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SETvstQquVI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

The Harambe Rant

I guess this topic is kinda old news at this point, but I'm gonna throw in my two cents anyways on the subject.

I just wan't to say that, after this whole situation, and seeing the whole response online to this (not from this thread), Humanity is disgusting. Humans are disgusting. I can't think of any other way to personify it.

I think we can all agree that this was a very tragic event, and its horrible that an innocent Gorilla had to die because of this. Nobody is denying that. And I can also agree that to an extent, the mother of the child is partly to blame for what had transpired that fateful day, HOWEVER, what simply pisses me off about this whole situation is that so many people in my opinion are acting so idiotic to all of this and not actually taking some time to THINK and use their brains for two seconds. You know, instead of this being a tragic, horrible event that was simply just that, a tragic horrible event. Instead of this being the last time we allow something like this to happen, and we humans as a whole focusing our attention on a way to develop method for a situation like this to never occur again with an innocent animal, what do we do? Oh, we do what we do best. Find someone to blame... It's so god damn hilarious.

"OH IT'S THE ZOOS FAULT FOR KILLING THAT INNOCENT GORILLA"
    "IT'S THE MOTHERS FAULT FOR BEING SO IRRESPONSIBLE! I DON'T CARE IF SHE MADE ONE AWFUL MISTAKE, SHE NEEDS TO LOSE ALL OF HER KIDS AND GET SHOT!"
    "SHE'S A GORILLA, SHE'S SO UGLY AND FAT AND SUCH AN IDIOT, I WANT HER TO DIE"

It's honestly shocking, incredible, and stupid at the same time.
    Is this mother not at fault? No. This could have possibly all been prevented with a little bit more attentiveness. But from what I've heard, apparently, the child had his hand in her back pocket during the visit, he talked about going into the gorilla enclosure, the mother said no, she stopped to take a picture for about one minute, and in the minute, the child left. And yes, as stated earlier, she could had been more attentive, but honestly, these things happen. My parents have never done anything abusive or horrible to me and have taken great care of me my whole life, and I don't consider them horrible people because they've lost me before once. It happens. For the people that are spewing out ,"OH IF THAT WAS MY KID, I WOULD NEVER LOSE SIGHT OF HIM" Bull****. You're not perfect and neither is this mother. At the most, she should have to pay a fine for what happened, but for all these people witchunting her and calling for her imprisonment, kindly shut the hell up. You people are pathetic. Spending all your time, effort, and energy witchunting, sending death threats, and just overall hate and negativity to this person you have never met in your life is just disgusting. You people are honestly what is wrong with our society as a whole, and I dread the day I have my own children and they have to grown up in this judgmental, negative, corrupt, and disgusting world.

Well, I know that a majority of you people who think this way probably wont give two s**** about what one guy has to say about this, and i'm not expecting you to. You'll probably keep with your current disgusting behavior, and It's not surprising. At this current pace, this already traumatized kid will most likely lose his family and spend a horrible life in the hands of CPS, this mother will go to jail, and you guys will find your next target to witchunt and probably not even care anymore. The cycle of filth will continue, and i'll be here laughing, cringing, and lamenting on how idiotic of a world we live in.

Rant over I guess.

12. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

Ok, but finding a resolution isn't whats important. What's important is finding someone to blame, that's how were supposed to properly function.

13. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

That gorilla could easily have done the same to JJ Watt.

14. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Well said. If people don't want this to happen again, blaming the mother doesn't fix the problem. Humans constantly do stupid things. Some of the stupid things humans do can be avoided relatively easily by small adjustments (in this case, adjust the exhibit).

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

accidents happen, kids get away from parents all the time

take the lessons learned, make improvements, and move on

no need for any punishment

16. hvic

hvic Member

people just want to blame someone else instead of admitting fault

17. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I understand what you mean and for the most part, I do agree. Social media responses are the most reactive, least rational thoughts that most of the time are wrong for not considering all factors. People never take into account how their version of justice would affect those involved. It's almost like social bullying, but accepted by those who would be against the next bullying viral story.

This time, though, the parents do have a history of poor parenting. This is another example of that pattern. When is there enough data to say that the parents shouldn't be parents? Accidents and tragedies do happen. As an isolated incident, you can argue that the child escaped from his parents for a few moments resulting in a tragic killing of a captive animal, say this is one unfortunate incident in 40 years of existence and there shouldn't be consequences for either party. But when the parents have had incidents in the past, there's enough evidence to say these parents aren't fit to take care of their children.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING: Prosecutor says no charges against parents of boy who entered zoo exhibit, resulting in gorilla's shooting death.</p>&mdash; The Associated Press (@AP) <a href="https://twitter.com/AP/status/739864734028156928">June 6, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

[​IMG]

Didn't catch the entire press conference but...:

Had she been in the bathroom smoking crack and let her kids run around, it'd be a different story.

This is a beautiful boy. We could have had a tragedy here. Sad enough the gorilla was taken out but it could have been a lot worse.

If you don't believe a 3-year old can scamper away quickly, you've never had kids. They just do that sometimes.

4 children total with her. All witnesses(4), crime unit went to the zoo to observe the layout, the 4 witnesses say she turned her back to take care of another child and the 3-year old went through the fence.

Lesson here?

I don't know. On so many levels it's a tragedy. You locals know how hard our zoo works to maintain a first class operation. It's clear to me they are heartsick about this.

Father at the zoo?

With an adult friend, another woman. Father was not present nor interviewed. Our entire focus was what was she was doing when the child went in.

Charges against the zoo?

I don't know what the charge would be. They aren't the parent or custodian. I can't imagine any criminal charges against them. This happened so quickly according to witnesses that there was nothing the mother could have done.

#138 J.R., Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Perhaps. But that shouldn't be tried in the court of public opinion either. CPS and family court (as much I distrust them) have processes to make determinations on these things. In regards to whether the parents have culpability here, or whether it fits into a larger tapestry where parents might be unfit -- let the govt do its job.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

People in MOCK outrage over a stinking gorilla, meanwhile people are blowing themselves up, and killing other people every day in other countries, and in our country gun violence continues to rise.

Yep, but let's all get up in arms about a gorilla.

DD