1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gordon Hayward Question

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Jake Stewart, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Jake Stewart

Jake Stewart Member

The Utah Jazz definitely wants to keep Gordon Hayward....I mean who wouldn't. My question is if Gordon has told the Jazz he will not sign an extension until this summer when he becomes a free agent then that almost guarantees he is leaving Utah. If he is going to stay in Utah then wouldn't it make sense to sign a max deal now in case he were to get hurt ?

So my next question is yes sure the Jazz are a good team this year but they are not good enough to win a championship so would it make sense for the Jazz to trade him and get some great young players & draft picks now?

Because if he won't sign a long term deal now .....he's walking and you shouldn't let him leave without getting something in return.

2. omgTHEpotential

IMO the Jazz are just like the Rockets. A very good team that isn't quite a contender material yet. The real star of that team is Gobert. And he's starting to enter his prime (24). So you do what you can to surround him with talent in my opinion. Trading an elite talent like Hayward away for young assets/picks would be an opposite of that.

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

hayward will probably go to boston this summer to reunite with brad stevens. however, the jazz can't trade him when they're in the 5th seed in the west. if they weren't a playoff team this year they might've thought about it, but there is no way now that they are finally back in the playoffs they decide to tank again.

4. Nook

Nook Member

I think Hayward stays in Utah.

While the Jazz have some very good supporting pieces (Gobert/Hood/Hayward/Favors), they lack a true top top 10 player.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It doesn't matter what the championship prospects are in Utah or that Brad Stevens coaches the Celtics. If the Jazz offer Heyward a max deal, he will definitely stay. The money difference in the new CBA is just too great. This is the new normal.

The NBA accomplished its mission.

DudeWah likes this.
  6. rockets13champs

Hordon Gayward will stay in hatU bc cba him alot more money there

DudeWah likes this.
  7. Jake Stewart

Jake Stewart Member

THe Jazz have already offered him a max deal and he told them he is no.

8. Jake Stewart

Jake Stewart Member

Then why doesn't he sign a max deal now before the season ends.

9. CallMeTheDream

No ones trading assets for possibly a 2 and a half month rental

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Because he will get more money signing in 2017 than 2016. He ain't leaving Utah.

I would love for him to go to Boston.

11. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

Re-signing as a free agent, as opposed to a contract extension guarantees him more money and more years if I am not mistaken.

12. Jake Stewart

Jake Stewart Member

But he is playing with fire. What if he has a career ending injury before the end of the season.

13. Jake Stewart

Jake Stewart Member

All I'm saying is if he knows he's staying in Utah I would just go ahead and sign an extension right now for fear I'd get hurt and be in a situation like DMo

14. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Hayward isn't going anywhere. He will sign his deal this summer. Anyone who is dreaming about him coming here or anywhere should probably start thinking of something else. NOT happening.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Most veteran NBA players don't max out until they become unrestricted. In additon to getting more money, they want to be courted by teams.

On the other hand, guys signing a contract coming off their rookie deal usually take the money early from the team that drafted them.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

A high character star like Hayward will not abandon his lunch pail fan base.

rolyat93 likes this.
  17. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I can see him leaving for a better team.

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

if i were utah management, i would do my best to trade hayward for brewer on the asap. but alas, utah management isn't as smart as me.

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

he has a lot of dud games where he disappears and bricks a ton of shots. he's still a very good player with tremendous skillset, but i'm not sure he's ideal next to harden. we need a more consistent shooting version of ariza who can actually dribble and finish

20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

A more consistent shooting version of a guy who hits 7x3's at 37%, plays really good defense, and can dribble and finish... basically doesn't exist.

And that's assuming you actually mean consistent. Because consistent means he makes some of the 3's he misses on off nights, AND he misses some of the 3's he makes on ON nights. I think what you really mean is a better shooter, i.e. someone who hits 40% of 7x3's, and in that case, it's even more non existent outside of Klay Thompson.

My view is we need someone to guard PG's and someone to guard the best wing player. That's why Beverley and Ariza complement Harden, we can hide Harden on the worst of the PG/SG/SF. If Hayward comes to Houston, he's a 4 imo in the same way Dekker is a 4 here. I'll take that mismatch as long as our C is defensively competent.