1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gordon Hayward Extension Watch: Setting the Bar for Chandler Parsons Contract?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 20, 2013.

?

What will Hayward's next contract be for per year?

1. Less than $7M

25 vote(s)
    9.4%
  2. $7-8M

45 vote(s)
    16.9%
  3. $8-9M

57 vote(s)
    21.4%
  4. $9-10M

51 vote(s)
    19.2%
  5. $10-11M

32 vote(s)
    12.0%
  6. More than $11M

56 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. ickaruto

ickaruto Member

my mistake for being repetitive. shoulda checked posts literally a few spots ^^^

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Excellent player. Just knows how to play.

I'm thinking he can develop into a nice 18-5-4 type of guy. Pretty much identical in value to Chandler Parsons, especially with the HUGE drop In Chandler's defense.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Where did I say he was worth "the max"?

Its safe to assume you didn't watch the game. Here's the box score. This was during the period when Westbrook was injured, so Durant had to shoulder the offensive load (48pts that game); thus no way in hell was he going to guard Hayward.

Checkout his numbers and see the ridiculous efficiency (13/16!!!) + total game effort. The 17 pt 4th quarter was absolute clutch in the face of a surging Durant.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/855WxqfIqgg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

At 24 years of age, its safe to say that he is easily worth $10+ mill

4. Asian Sensation

Hayward's a go-to

5. verysimplejason

Hayward got a better upside than Parsons. That said, Parsons' contract should be around 8-9M. Anything more than that is too much.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

One game doesn't mean anything, it's about consistency. If players were worth 10 million based on one game then a lot of NBA players would be a lot richer. If your looking for a single great game then try this one.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/a0RYt58q8Kc?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/a0RYt58q8Kc?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

or this one

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/J03wtcrTF0A?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/J03wtcrTF0A?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

here is a play-off game against the Lakers by Aaron Brooks

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/b6VN3mrlam0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/b6VN3mrlam0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Hayward might turn out to be good but he was not very good last season. He flashed some very good games but if you only hit 30% of your 3pt shots and 41% of your FG attempts, you did not do anything to warrant a max or near max contract.

#86 crash5179, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This is the exact player smart GMs avoid.

You want value above contract, not below.

8. Croatian Sensation

Croatian Sensation I'd rather be a forest than a street

Hayward will hit >40% of his 3-point field goals this season.

At Butler:
    2008-09 44.8%
    2009-10 29.4%

With the Jazz:
    2010-11 47.3%
    2011-12 34.6%
    2012-13 41.5%
    2013-14 30.4%

Continue the sequence

9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

If you saw my earlier post, I specifically voice my concerns regarding his consistency. As for the "single game" argument, I have to say I agree with you. Of course any player can look otherworldly in the right circumstances (Brandon Jennings' 55pts as a rookie for example). I merely was trying to provide an example of his offensive potential and why he may warrant a $10+ mill salary.

Does he deserve it? Probably not.
    Will he get it? I think its likely.

Take a look at Eric Gordon as a recent example.

10. Mr. Clutch

Trending down.

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Your right, he will probably get it but at Eric Gordon's years with LAC were light years better than anything Hayward has done. As a 20 year old, Eric Gordon played better than anything Hayward has been able to approach. Both his totals and averages during his 3 years in LA were just outstanding and he was exceptionally consistent. The only knock on Eric Gordon was his ability to stay healthy.

Gordon Hayward will be 25 next season and he will be in his 5th NBA season. He is just praying he has as good of a season as any of Gordon's 1st 3 seasons when Eric was 20, 21 and 22.

12. LoganRoxFan

LoganRoxFan Member

They have Hood, Burks, and Exum who can all play a combo of 2-3 without giving Hayward the max. I can't see Utah being stupid enough to match a max deal. Didn't they learn their lesson with AK-47?

But I will say that I hear it all the time from Jazz fans how the FO screwed up on Matthews by not matching, so who knows.

13. Mr. Clutch

The obsession with average players in the NBA is just downright unhealthy at this point.

14. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Eric Gordon is a bad comparison for Hayward as Gordon was a surefire max-offer guy after his 3rd year in the league despite missing over 20 games. I doubt any team really thinks Hayward is worth the max, but if you are Pheonix or CLeveland, how else are you going to get him without overpaying. Offering him 10-12 million starting is only going to result in the Wolves matching. That's why players like Batum/Deandre Jordan got their big contracts and why Hayward and Chandler Parsons might get huge offers at or near their max of 4 years 60+ million.

In a vacuum neither are worth that, but what are the Rockets and Wolves going to do when the Lakers, Suns, Cavs or some other desperate team off them 12 or 14 million starting.

15. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Rockets and Parsons might end up in a very similar predicament, do you also suggest the same course if the Suns offer Parsons 12+ per?

16. Mr. Clutch

Why, because he's white?

Parsons is much better.

17. Cygnus33

Cygnus33 Rookie

I can't believe people are still comparing this scrub to Parsons.

"Omg 16 pts a 5 assists. He must be as good as Parsons cuz he has similar numbers!"

No. Just no. He did that as the first option on a terrible team. Come on.

18. LoganRoxFan

LoganRoxFan Member

Lets be honest...there wasn't a first option on Utah last year. Their offense was the worst executing Jazz offense I've ever seen.

19. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

What does him being white have to do with it?

Both of them are RFA. Both will be expected to get offers anywhere from 9-14 million to start. Both Utah and Houston will have a decision to make. All that = similar predicament... Pretty obvious.

Interesting that you think parson is so much better when they both have similar # and production as well as age. I think most will disagree with you and find both to be about even or one slightly better than the other.

And finally you didn't answer the question of what the rockets would do if parson gets a near max offer.

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

Hayward plays on both ends of the court and can defensively cover the 1/2/3 positions. He's also a go to player on D.