1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gordon Hayward Extension Watch: Setting the Bar for Chandler Parsons Contract?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 20, 2013.

?

What will Hayward's next contract be for per year?

1. Less than $7M

25 vote(s)
    9.4%
  2. $7-8M

45 vote(s)
    16.9%
  3. $8-9M

57 vote(s)
    21.4%
  4. $9-10M

51 vote(s)
    19.2%
  5. $10-11M

32 vote(s)
    12.0%
  6. More than $11M

56 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Hayward shoots better from 3 point land

2. hooroo

hooroo Member

Parsons is more a Forward, his potential is a Lamar Odom type player. Hayward is the point forward swingman the Rockets had hoped Ariza could develop into. Also like Ariza he's quick enough to defend against speedy PGs.

It appears he could be a very good fit with Dwight:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EXg56rY-v6E?start=286" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

sorry, but this is a dumb comment, not only is it wrong, but the opposite of it is true.

Parsons is grossly underpaid, he's making less than a million AND has a team option next year, also for less than a million.

He's 25 and will be 26 next year.

IF Parsons does not go to the highest bidder when he becomes a free agent, or if he does not try to get as much $$$ as possible from the Rockets in an extension, I would be happy, but think he is a bit of a dumbass.

How many young, in their prime role players such as Parsons take less money to stay on a winning team? ESPECIALLY one who has been so underpaid for his entire career.

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

Hayward is not more athletic than Parsons, WTF.

He is only better than Parsons at ONE thing, and that's three point shooting. In every other area he is inferior. Lesser rebounder, lesser passer, lesser athlete, lesser defender.

5. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Chandler-Parsons-5050/

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Gordon-Hayward-5514/

Hayward is a better overall scorer, has a higher assist rate, lower turnover rate than Parsons, defense was just as good as Parson's was last year. Hayward is also 2 years younger

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll take Parsons over Hayward. Size and defense... Good luck putting Hayward on Kevin Durant or Dirk Nowitzki.

#26 RudyTBag, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  7. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Baby face Hayward vs. Pretty boy Parsons

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

9. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

you say the comment is wrong and dumb, but only support it by saying parsons would 'a bit of a dumbass' if he doesn't go to the highest bidder. *derp*

oh i don't know... players who want to win rings.

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

You can cite combine measurements all you want, but I'm just telling you, on the court in an actual NBA game, Parsons plays more athletically, and that's what counts.

In terms of rate stats per 36 minutes, sure, Hayward performs better. But you're operating under the assumption that increasing minutes from 29 to 36 is going to result in the same scoring/assist rates. Naw man, no way. That kid was gassed as hell at 30mpg which is why he didn't get to stay out there and Parsons did. I'd be surprised if Hayward adds another bucket and half an assist to his averages if you bump his minutes.

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I like what I've seen from Haywood but I just don't see how you can just say he's a better scorer or defender than Parsons. I don't watch the Jazz much so maybe your right but I don't see it. Chandler has had some marquee games as a Rocket like the one where he out played Melo last season. He was outstanding in the play offs. Haywood made a lot of improvement last season but I think he still has a ton to prove before I consider him as good or better than Parsons.

12. VBG

VBG Member

Calling Hayward, Haywood multiple times doesn't help your credibility.

13. supermang

supermang Member

It's Hayward, not haywood, and it seems like several ppl in this thread arent too familar with him. He's an athletic forward does more than shoot threes, which is what some of yall are saying. Also, he completely outplayed Parsons at the 2013 Team USA Minicamp, as confirmed by multiple sources.

http://www.indycornrows.com/2013/7/24/4554912/pacers-paul-george-gordon-hayward-usa-basketball

http://www.reviewjournal.com/columns-blogs/ed-graney/determined-hayward-takes-aim-team-usa-spot

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/7/23/4551142/team-usa-basketball-camp-doug-mcdermott-gordon-hayward

14. VBG

VBG Member

Hayward in the Rockets system would look every bit as good as Chandler Parsons. Maybe better. He has better playmaking ability IMO.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

A couple of ya'll be forgetting that Utah has to overpay to keep players.

He'll probably get a contract averaging $9.5-10 million a year.

16. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

17. TheBigFive

TheBigFive Member

No such thing as a home team discount when you're 25 years old and playing for your first big contract. I would be disappointed in Parsons if he doesn't try to get every penny he can get his hands on. Don't be surprised if this is with another team. It is much more likely some other team will overpay Parsons rather than the Rockets. Morey does not like to overpay non superstar players.

18. Croatian Sensation

Croatian Sensation I'd rather be a forest than a street

Hayward is a terrific young player. Fantastic shooter, athletic, with good court vision and very, very solid on defense. I'd rate him about the same as Parsons, probably even a little better.
    He'll surely get a $9-11M contract.

19. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Lots of homers in this thread, which I understand perfectly for reasons that Hayward is a Jazz and Parsons is purtier.

Hayward IS their #1 option this year, sharing the duty with Kanter/Favors. He is capable of creating for himself and others. Parsons on the other hand is woeful at it. I cringe every time he dribble drive in traffic or tries to create. Parsons will never become #1 option on any team nor he has the skills to be a point forward. It's not a knock on him but he is what he is: a glue guy.

His market value is around $10M. Hayward is young and has room to improve. For 4-year $40M, it's a good deal for Jazz. Anything around 7-8M would be a steal.

20. NotChandlerParsons

Some interesting opinions in this thread. Set aside your feelings about Hayward and Parsons for the moment and remember that GMs do dumb, dumb things to potentially get two-way SFs. Probably Morey's two worst roster moves of all time (Ariza MLE and trading for TWill) are for the same reason. I would not at all be surprised if Hayward gets an 8 digit contract. I think Parsons is the better player, and he absolutely will get a $10m+ contract.