1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Goran Dragic

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Glenyo, Mar 20, 2012.

Tags:
  1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, wouldn't that be nice...but extensions have a maximum raise of 10.5%, which would get Dragic a $2.33 m starting salary.

Something tells me he'd decline that.

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

with his height, his excellent shooting percentage, and his experience playing behind Nash and Lowry, I really do think he's primed to be a serious impact player over the next several years. Losing him for nothing in free agency would be a serious blow to Houston. We simply must retain him; he's got too high of a ceiling.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Didn't we sign Scola to a new contract before the season was over?

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

[​IMG]

DD

5. rockbox

We don't need cap space. We have his bird rights.

6. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

8 days ago he made an interview for one of our newspapers. This is what he said:

on the season: This year's season is the toughest of all. We have to play 66 games in a very short time, so we have like 4-5 games per week and we travel a lot. Fatigue gets to us.

on being first play since Lowry's illness: Starter or not, I'm very happy with the minutes I've been given. Sometimes me and Lowry were on the floor at the same time; him as play and me as a 2 or viceversa. This year's season is phenomenal and the coach trusts me, especially in crunch time. I'm repaying him with giving all my best.

on playing for Slovenia in friendlies during the summer (Slovenia didn't qualify for Olimpics): I'll talk to head coach (Maljkovič) and try to get some rest, because I don't want to risk an injury with a new contract signing coming.But I'm always happy to play for Slovenia and I will always return the call in upcoming years.

on adapting to Houston and new team: It's been great. Teammates helped me get accustomed to the team and new enviroment, so that's been much easier than I thought. Houston is fourth biggest city in USA, but I didn't have the time yet to explore it for the lack of free time.

on this summer's plans regarding new contract: After this season I'm a free agent and I can go anywhere. I'll wait for the offseason first and see what options will I have.

Reporter ended the interview with "Dragič is most compelled to return to Arizona, but he will play basketball with all his heart wherever in NBA he lands.

One question: Will he be a restricted free agent after this season? This means that if he gets offers and Houston matches them, he stays in Houston, right? Or does he walk?

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

He's unrestricted. He can go where he wants but the Rockets can offer him more years (I think).

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Can't trust Dragic. He is a career backup.

9. rockbox

Yep, we can offer him more years but its not that big of an advantage since other teams can just offer more money up front to compensate. We will have to pony up some real dough to keep him, unless he just likes being a backup/sixth man type. I actually like when Lowry and Dragic on the court together.

10. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Nope. Signed him about a week after the July Moratorium lifted.

I think you guys are misunderstanding what cod is proposing; while it is true that extensions are limited to a normal raise of the last year of the contract (7.5% in the new CBA I believe), teams under the cap can get around this by renegotiating a players deal upwards in his final year. The Zombie Sonics did just that with Kendrick Perkins; since they had extra cap room, they were able to adjust the final year of his contract from $4.6M to $6.7M, then offer him a 4-year extension based on the higher number.

Since technically extensions can be negotiated until the close of the season on June 30, and teams are only prevented from trading until their seasons end, the Rockets could conceivably dump either Scola or Martin to free up cap room during the draft. However, the CBA specifically prevents contract renegotiations between March 1st and June 30th, making this scenario impossible.

TL;DR, Dragic is going to be a free agent, and will likely sign elsewhere.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Morey and McHale better show up on this kid's door-step at 12:01 on the first day of free agency. Sounds like McHale and him have developed a great relationship, which is a huge selling point. The more time he gets on the floor, the more success he has with this organization, the more he forgets that Morey already shipped his ass out like an "asset" ...the better our chances of signing him. Time to pucker up and show this kid some love. Morey ...get er done!

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Is there a reason for Phoenix not to want Dragic back? I never understood if they just thought Aaron was that good or Dragic not good enough...

13. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

He's only been a starter for like 5 games? Remember what Lowry's numbers were at the beginning of the season?

Small sample size, people jumping the gun a bit. Don't forget how beastly Lowry was at first too

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

FWIW, it's 9 games, but that's just this season...let's not forget he put up similar numbers last season when he started. His last three starts of last season were near triple doubles.....so it's actually 12 games.

15. gah

gah Member

Good ol' DD. Saying stats are overrated yet attaches himself to the boxscore like an old secretary to a typewriter. Two things wrong about this.

16. gah

gah Member

Both were stinking it up real bad. Both teams were hoping that a change of scenery would suffice. Only one of them snapped out of it.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Goran's productivity as a starter from a box-score stats standpoint -- which encompasses 334 minutes, 9 games -- is pretty much all-star level. He's been really good.

Lowry's numbers, in contrast, is a shade or two under all-star level overall, though he's had maybe 3 or 4 stretches during the year where he's played like an all-star.

People with short memories will of course remember more that Lowry was slumping somewhat before he was out with his illness (probably related). And Dragic is doing really well right now, so that's also fresh in people's memories as opposed to all the times earlier in the year when the Rockets performance went way south when he replaced Lowry on the floor.

18. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Thanks for the info. I knew there had to be a way to extend a player and give him a competitive salary.

19. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

...and this is why Jeremy Lin was cut people.
    And I've become a big Lin fan too.

People forget how special he was for certain streches and games in Phoenix, albeit in a PG/PnR heavy offense of Pringles

20. cod

cod Member

He was another player who missed a good part of training camp because he was recovering from an injury.