1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Goran Dragic

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Glenyo, Mar 20, 2012.

Tags:
  1. OremLK

OremLK Member

The point DD is, you don't trade Kyle just to make room for Goran. You trade Kyle only if you get an all-star or a top, top draft pick in return. It's of utmost importance to get fair value for Lowry. He is by far our best trade piece and if we deal him and screw up we will regret it for a long time.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not really, his D has gotten worse - he can't stay in front of any decently quick PG.

He no longer fights through screens and his assist totals are almost 1 better, but his turnovers are way worse.

Last year he increased his percentages across the board with consistent starter minutes, this year, some have gone up...3pt, assists, rebounds, and some have gone down...overall FG%, turnovers, and one on one defense.

I like Lowry, but I view him as a hustle player who is not a good enough athlete to ever crack that all star level, oh sure he might bogart his way in a year or two, but he is what he is a bulldog player who is just not good enough to ever be considered elite.

Now, Dragic is also "not elite" but he can do everything Kyle does and then some, he plays great D, he has better court vision, he can create shots for himself and his teamates....the only thing Kyle does better is rebound and 3pt shooting.......and that is just this year, I believe career wise Dragic wins that too.

Trade Kyle, keep Dragic...

DD

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yeah, I don't see the parallel DD is trying to draw either. To me, its all about who you're winning with. Last year, and the year before that, Lowry was the motor of the team. Also, him getting the starting job had a lot to do with just how bad Brooks was last year.

I'm not going to complain if McHale elects to keep starting Dragic the rest of the year, the way he's playing lately. But Lowry, even with his ups and downs, has still been our best player this year overall. He's by far the biggest reason we're even in the playoff chase.

4. DaDakota

You don't see it because you don't want to see it.

The parallel is actually quite obvious, one guy is outplaying another one, while he is injured.

It is really not that hard to see if it is not one of your favorite players that is being outplayed.

DD

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

I will complain because I think it hurts Lowry's trade value in the offseason and makes Dragic even harder to sign to an extension. Lowry is a trade asset, Dragic is a free agent.

6. CXbby

CXbby Member

I'm not sure he has more upside, but I will say that Dragic's game MIGHT translate better in the playoffs. There is a premium on the ability to create for oneself especially when offenses stagnate in those pressure situations. Dragic, 25 points in 1 quarter, has demonstrated that ability at the highest level. I am curious to see how Lowry's strengths translate in the playoffs. No way am I writing him off, but we've yet to see.

7. DaDakota

Might translate better?

LOL - like the word "Might" is even needed. There is no substitute for speed, and quickness.

Lowry doesn't have it, Dragic does. .......there is no MIGHT about it......

Quickness is something you "MIGHT" have considered when you declared Marcus Morris as the next "GO TO" guy.

:)

DD

8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Come on, its not that hard to be objective for once..

"Some have gone up" is an understatement. His points, rebounds, assists, steals, FT%, 3PT%, TS% all have gone up.

The things that have gone down are turnovers, he averaged 2.1 last season, 3.2 season.

And you honestly cannot argue the FG%. He shot 42.6% last season, currently 41.8% this season. That difference is minimal. In fact, if Lowry goes 5-5 in his next game his FG% would be better than last season.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Pretty weak comparison IMO, considering how far apart the degree of "outplaying" is between the two cases.

But if Lowry plays as poorly as Brooks did last year when he returned to the lineup, by all means keep starting Dragic. Actually, as I said, it doesn't matter much to me in any case. Dragic has played well enough to where I'm comfortable keeping him in as a starter. If that's how McHale decides to go, I hope Lowry takes the news better than Brooks did and continues to compete like he usually does.

10. CXbby

CXbby Member

Dragic Might have Lowry on quickness, but at least in the regular season, Lowry has him on Winning. Which is all that matters. He is the engine that makes the team go. Like I said, we'll see how that works out in the playoffs, but in the regular season at least give me Lowry all day.

But yes, I would trade Lowry for a centerpiece and a centerpiece only.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

Not necessarily a centerpiece as in a superstar... but it definitely needs to be an all-star caliber player.

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

It could be a top 3 pick, as long as we get a blue chip asset in return.

13. JCole

JCole Member

14. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Why can't we just enjoy watching him play well instead of turning this into a Lowry/AB or Dragic/Lowry thing?!?

Jeez, just because you are butthurt about being wrong on AB doesn't mean you should take out your hate on Lowry. I was wrong too. I'm over it. It's okay, just f***ing move on...

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is not even true.... Lowry is one of the quickest guards.... not the quickest... in this league when healthy.
    Dragon goes strong to the hole, he is quick himself......
    Both are good. Nobody is really outdoing the other by far.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah a top draft pick would be good.

I wouldn't be outraged if we traded Lowry for Gasol... I still don't think it is a good trade but I think it would at least make the team better overall.

The greatest thing would be if we could trade Lowry for Lamarcus Aldridge. But I don't really see Portland trading him.

17. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

DD is still butthurt about being wrong about Brooks, huh?

Anyways, this certainly does present some good questions. It will be very interesting to see how Lowry does when he comes back and then what the Rockets do in the summer. Since Lowry has been doing it longer, I still have to give him the nod, but if we re-sign Dragic by chance, then one of those guys is getting shipped, I'm sure. They're both starter-caliber.

1 person likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He has to find a good guy and the odd man out.... that works for him...
    someone to worship and someone to trash about.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

I personally can't really tell when it comes to team strength since the comparison is Dragic+Flynn vs. Lowry+Dragic.

But one thing to note is that under today's NBA rules, it seems a lot easier to find decent PGs to put up stats. Brooks was late 1st rounder and played well until his injury. Lowry, also a late 1st was putting up all-star numbers. And now Dragic is playing at a high level. So in that sense as long as our scouts perform, the PG position seems to be more replaceable than conventional wisdom would suggest. Heck, earlier in the season I thought Lowry was almost untouchable. Now I might now mind trading him at all.

20. johnnydeezy1

johnnydeezy1 Member

both are really good. Difference is, dragic has more offensive capabilities and thats the x factor. Oh and lowry flops a bit too much.