1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Goran Dragic Watch

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by nono, Nov 4, 2012.

1. VanityHalfBlack

Meh 1
    leebigez 0

2. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

I think I've come to peace with this.

I don't want Goran Dragic to have a fantastic, breakout season in order to invalidate a front office decision by the Rockets.

I want him to have a fantastic, breakout season because of what we've always known: He's a great player and he deserves to finally get some league-wide recognition for that.

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I watched lin a lot last year and its always amazing how posters nit pick over certain quotes,but don't print the whole thing. Go back and post what I said in the lowry vs lin vs dragic thread. Of course, lin is on the great upward spiral. You know as well as anyone with any sense know this wasn't about having the best player. Just like they don't give extensions either? Yep,keep telling yourself line and his 8m will be good when the rockets get back on the face of the nba map. If you are trying to tank,just tank. Looking at the toyota center, no one is buying into this new era age or whatever. I'm always a rocket fan and will always be one even if I disagree with some of the methods that are going down right now.

4. nono

nono Member

What are you trying to say ? Upward spiral or not you have made nonsensical predictions before, which is all meh pointed out.

5. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Yeah, this doesn't surprise me.

I'll never understand why most Rockets fans (or the team I guess) weren't huge supporters of Dragic and desperate to keep him.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

As nono pointed out, my intention was to simply refer you to your earlier predictions, which seems LOL at this point. So if you want to be so certain about how players will play 3 years down the road, that's fine. I'm more open to various possibilities. Perhaps you're right. Perhaps you're wrong. But you seem to be very bad when it comes to judging PG potential.

7. David Stern

David Stern Member

To be fair, the Brooks/Dragic intial trade reaction is more due to the fact that we as a community were less familiar with Dragic's game at the time (due to various factors) and very familiar with Brooks. We all witnessed linsanity and had a good opportunity to see His strengths and weaknesses due to intense media coverage.

We are all in a better spot to judge the Lin / Dragic exchange (debacle in my mind) due to the fact that we’ve all had an opportunity to scout/watch a good deal of the 2012 game tape for both players.

8. David Stern

David Stern Member

Having said all that its clear that Dragic to anyone that's watched both players that Dragic is superior in the following areas

Strength
    Lateral movement (why he can stay in front of his man with a good deal of success)
    Shooting
    Ball handling
    Overall defense
    Finishing at the basket
    Running the fast break
    Less injury history

Areas where I give the edge to Lin
    First step to the bucket (I actually think this is pretty even but I’ll call the tie to the current rocket)
    Marketing
    Keeps his head up when he has the ball and sees the backdoor passing lanes well (dragic has the tendency, like clyde, to put his head down and drive to the bucket…this can be good and bad at times)

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Way to early.

Lin gets more steals and rebounds though.

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Lin has basically gone back to the Golden State Jeremy Lin. That is NOT AT ALL what you want to see.

In another Dragic comparison, we're saying Lin playing off the ball more next to another playmaker is making him terrible. Though Goran Dragic played alright next to Kyle Lowry.
    So another "strength" of Dragic is his combo guard versality.

I think strength is a "push" for both of them. Lin is a little heavier, Dragic a more explosive jumper.
    Lin uses his body getting rebounds and getting his hands on the ball.
    Dragic uses his body better finishing at the rim, and on rebounds uses his leaping ability and height

I'd say Lin is a tad better on defense, that might be his only redeeming quality this year. Which seems odd since Damian Lillard, Ty Lawson and Greivis Vasquez of all people have gone off, but he's done decent against the others

11. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

guys its not lin vs dragic and lin versus lowry...

He is prob not going to be as good as either at least not this year...

Its having the team we have now...which had a much greater path to success. Losing those guys let us accquire Lin, Asik and Harden...

I guess the fairest scenario comparison would be to look at lowry/lambs year and compare that to harden/lin.

But I think one thing you fail to understand is neither lowry or dragic was going to bring in any stars.... Lin will because of china marketing and is teebow esq exposure. Harden will because the great players consider him one of them.

I honestly wouldnt be shocked if CP3, Josh Smith etc...wouldnt be pushing to come here now since we can give them that team and start their own young big 3. I hope lin catches up to dragic and lowry...but thats not the comparison we need to be paying attention to...its irrelevant.

12. David Stern

David Stern Member

Wrong. No reason why we couldn't have re-signed Dragic, signed Asik and traded for Harden.

Second wrong. Why would Lin being here matter to CP3? Also, please don't credit lin for Harden trade. TIA

13. Dei

Dei Member

Sock it. We could've kept Dragic/Lowry easy and still have gotten Harden. This was as big a **** up as trading Rudy Gay.

14. VanityHalfBlack

-20 for Gogi in a lost in overtime vs the Bulls without you know who???

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uRAp00SxP30" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. David Stern

David Stern Member

not so sure about Lowry...we included that pick in the deal for harden. Not saying i wouldn't want lowry just want to be fair.

16. Dei

Dei Member

It could've been done if really wanted.

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

Did you read the part where he said we shouldn't have matched Lowry? You honestly think that watching Lowry as a Rockets fan for 2 years is less familiarity than watching Linsanity for 3 weeks?

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

That crackling sound you heard was the flickering flames as your credibility burns.

I hated that trade at first, but it looks better and better as time goes on, and it becomes increasingly clear that Rudy Gay is a max contract player who isn't really even good enough to be an all-star.

19. David Stern

David Stern Member

My bad...missed that. That mofo dumb!

20. mirus

mirus Member

Gentry....