1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Goran Dragic: Highly Frustrated with Team

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Nook

Nook Member

We lost Lowry because Morey was drooling at the chance to deal him after a great run.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

1. In some ways, the Phoenix Suns situation is really not that different from that of the Rockets before the Harden deal: a number of extra draft picks/recent draftees (including one Morris twin for each team), some good-but-not-great players, and a decent amount of cap room.

The major different is that the Rockets have cashed in some of their assets for Harden and the Suns have not made a similar deal for an elite talent (came closest when they signed Eric Gordon to an offer sheet, but NOH matched and Gordon has been injured most of this season anyway). There may only be one step between having assets and using it to acquire an elite player, but (as Rockets fans have learned) this is a step that might take multiple years and multiple attempts to accomplish.

In any case, I am not sure you can blame Dragic for not picking the team clearly more likely to be at least competitive when he made his choice in free agency. The two teams' roster situations were not that different on the surface. The one mistake you can blame him for is perhaps not knowing the Phoenix's front office is rather clueless and its owner is cheap while Houston's front office is at least competent.

2. I don't think anyone can blame Dragic for a lack of "loyalty": We know that if Dragic re-signed with Houston, Morey would not hesitate to trade Dragic if that's what it takes to acquire a superstar and move the team closer to title contention. It's not to say that they don't like or respect each other, it's just each side still has the right to pursue their rational self interest (Dragic's mistake is thinking that PHX's front office would be more competent than they turned out to be-- doesn't mean his overall choice is wrong though, if he gets seriously injured in the next couple seasons or dramatically outperforms his contract, he'd be really glad that he got that player option).

#162 Carl Herrera, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I wonder if Toronto could have packaged their pick with other players for Harden.

4. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

Interesting question. Who would've been the Kmart of a Toronto trade? I don't think OKC makes the Harden trade before the season unless they get a player who could come close to matching his production.

5. Entropy

Entropy Member

If the Rockets have both Dragic and Harden, the Spurs would piss their big boy pants.

6. Anxiety Trooper

Derozan is not nearly as efficient a player as Kevin Martin but I think most view him as a nice backup SG / SF...

Or maybe he would show the world he's on Rudy Gay's level and get traded for caldron & Ed Davis:p

7. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

I wonder if Derozan's contract would've worked for OKC long term. He's going to make $9.5M the next few years while KMart's $12M expires.

8. Mr. Clutch

Valuncias probably would have gotten it done

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Really Goran of anyone SHOULD have known, he played for that Suns owner for 2.5 seasons.

He felt a bit of gratitude to the Suns for giving him his start in the league. He remembered the good times. It probably gave him a rosier outlook of the organization that covered up some of their front office flaws.

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I doubt they would've wanted him? They don't tend to like players who can't shoot the 3.

We didn't just give them the Toronto pick. It was:
    Martin (plug and play scorer off the bench + expiring to parlay at the deadline if they want to)
    Lamb (potential to be the future scorer off the bench)
    Toronto pick (potential to be the future scorer off the bench OR a big man)
    Dallas pick (potential to be the future scorer off the bench OR a big man)

The Dallas pick may well end up being the best part of that trade for them??

Toronto may have been able to offer something like: Calderon (expiring + bench vet)/ pick/ Ross/ Valanciunus. But I imagine they would've considered the cost to be too high, especially considering they couldn't negotiate the extension until after the trade (and Harden could've walked).

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

Sorry Dragic, but you and I already broke up.

I have Chandler now. He's so hot.

12. trowa2

trowa2 Member

i dont miss dragic. i mean, why would i?

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WA4iX5D9Z64" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. SugarLandDream8

This is what he gets for ignoring the pleas of the Female Rockets fan who made the youtube video for him :)

15. SugarLandDream8

16. devin23

devin23 Member

Dragic is a solid starting PG but he is no star. We got Lin at a cheaper deal since it's without a player's option, plus he's younger and has more upside. Like an earlier post stated, Dragic only has about 2 more points and almost 1 TO less than Lin. About every other category Lin is better at, so I don't see what all the big fuss is about with losing out on Dragic. Statistically, not even a dropoff considering Goran doesn't play with a ball dominant all star guard in Harden, so Rockets actually did better signing Lin instead.

1 person likes this.
  17. Mr. Clutch

The crazy shrieking in the BBS when he left is just funny now.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

You're right. It's hard to imagine that just months ago, the overwhelming sentiment here was, "Morey, y u no give player option? y u let star go and sign scrubby Lin?"

In the end, Morey's right again. If you're not a star, you don't get a contract filled with nice things that may screw the team later on.

19. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

20. mirus

mirus Member

I'm thinking about that too.Every suns fan knew how incompetent our FO is.

I dont really blame him,When u r a top player,u can talk about loyalty or such,otherwise players has to look out their own interest but perhaps its my bias tho.

At least we are tanking :(