1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Goran Dragic: Highly Frustrated with Team

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 11, 2013.

1. hubeijames

hubeijames Member

Lin's many statements on the matter has been that he only received one official offer, and that was the Rockets offer. Everyone was sure NY was going to match. You aren't really attributing Morey's calling NY's bluff and concocting the poison pill to Lin's agent, are you?

If we're just going to assume that the players and FO's are being dishonest, we could say even worse things about Dragic.

1 person likes this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Lin was a RFA. Everybody including Morey thought that the Knicks would match, until Morey came up with the poison pill contract. That's pretty much it.

Dragic was a UFA. He shopped around to get the best deal he could. And he chose the Suns. We don't know if any other teams had given him any offers. What we know is that the Suns' was the most attractive to him. It is reasonable to assume that no other team wanted to pay him more than what the Suns offered, or he would have gone there. We also know that Morey was said to be willing to pay the same amount minus the 4th year player option.

BTW, the Lin signing was AFTER Dragic had decided not to come back to the Rockets. So it's wrong to say that the Rockets took Lin and dumped Dragic.

The current situation is pretty much a result of Dragic's decision to sign with Phoenix.

1 person likes this.
  3. roxxy

roxxy Member

Actually. The Raptors & mavericks called Lin as well. And apparently the Lakers.

And actually you shouldn't trust the NYDN not the most unbiased paper.

Houston beat writers (and all non NY media people) said that after the Knicks coach Mike Woodson said publicly that they would match the first offer sheet, Les & Morey decided to up it to force them not to match. Les & Morey still thought that NY would match. Lin's agent never went back to re-negotiate. When Lin came to sign the offer sheet (supposed to have been the first offer) he was told on that day that they had changed it. It was all Les' doing after the Knicks coach was foolish enough to publicly state there intentions way to early.

4. Arthurprescott2

How is this a topic of debate in February? The Lin contract situation was heavily discussed in GARM in July and August - then Lin did the SI interview where he clearly said:
    Morey came back to him with a new agreement.

To say Lin negotiated a bigger contract is disingenuous at best, r****ded at worst.

1 person likes this.
  5. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Man if he would have signed with us we'd be pretty damn good right now. Oh well, Lin is improving so who knows, maybe we're better off.

6. conquistador#11

how? he needs the ball in his hands and he has been atrocious from 3 point land. maybe he averages 13 instead of lins 12.6 here.

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

This year's Suns team is just another example of how above average talent at multiple positions does not translate to wins in the NBA. Only superstar talent puts a team above mediocrity.

Enjoy being the new Rockets.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

But the Suns aren't even mediocre. The Rockets played at .500 level with above average talent and no star for a few years. The Suns are .320 with pretty much the same talent level.

9. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

i wonder what Scola thinks about the team lol

10. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

They are literally the Rockets of the last 3 years. No player to build around, good contracts throughout the roster, stuck in mediocrity. All they lack is a coach to help them overachieve like Houston did.

11. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

As of right now, their pick is projected in the top five I think.

Plus they could get another lotto from LAL I think.

I like their future tbh. Don't consider them stuck in mediocrity.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The issue being argued... I guess??, not sure?... is that apparently Dragic is a "greedy" player who took the player option and stiffed the Rockets and therefor isn't a guy you;d want on the Rockets. I think that's what someone (Reeko?) was saying.

My point was solely that all players are inherently looking out for their best interest, monetarily.

It doesn't matter who "upped" the offer, Lin could have said no thanks, right? I'd prefer to stay in NY at this lower salary. It sounds dumb to say.. .because it is. Of course he'd take the extra money...

The point, as it relates to Dragic, is the Suns offered him more than anyone else, and for any player, but especially one in his situation, it'd be illogical to have not taken that offer...

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's funny - they were so bad at being on the treadmill of mediocrity they actually fell off it into the tank of tankingness inadvertently.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I feel they are poorly coached. Gortat was a double double machine last season and now he's absolute ****.

15. da_juice

da_juice Member

Yeah, it is pretty funny. However, that might be a problem. They're saddled with overpaid mediocre, and aging players on long contracts. Even if they draft a complete superstar, they won't be able to surrond him with the necessary players to win (i.e other stars).

16. BleedRocketsRed

They have cap right?

They almost got EG on a max alongside Gogi

17. BleedRocketsRed

They have cap right?

They almost got EG on a max alongside Gogi

18. holly1985

holly1985 Member

I doubt it works. That's the only offer Lin got. Imagine Morey showed up on the signing day with a new offer(heavily backload on the third year), Lin said:" No, I want the previous offer. Please adjust the amount or else I won't sign."
    Does it make any sense? No. And if Lin didn't sign this new offer, NY could give him any amount.

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

The Suns have max cap room this year and a lot of players will be expiring contracts next season.

The only contract that might be hard to trade is Frye but he could be a candidate for a medical retirement.

20. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Dude, Lin never got an offer from NY. Is there a person who followed basketball that still doesn't know this?