1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GOP: Female body has natural defense against pregnancy in case of legitimate rape

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 19, 2012.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...crime-in-the-u.s.-2010/violent-crime/rapemain

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The post above states that 93% of reported rapes are forcible rapes, so they are the overwhelming number of reported raped in the United States. I was careful to say "reported," because in my opinion, a very large number of forcible rapes are not reported by the woman who was a victim. Shame and fear, among other reasons, cause many to just not report the assault. Which is both terrifying to think about and a reflection, IMO, of the state of our society and how our society treats women. It is not a flattering picture.

3. justtxyank

You are correct. I touched on the under reporting in my first post. I did a study and subsequent paper on this in college. Rape statistics are very troubling when you study them.

Also note that the forcible rapes reported (if I'm reading the definition correctly) also include rapes that could not result in a pregnancy.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

A Clayton Williams moment

Rocket River

5. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

"Besides, if I get raped, it would be my fault for dressing like this"

[​IMG]

6. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

So can anyone tell us who Akin's partner was on all the anti-choice legislation that's come out of the GOP congress in the last few years?

7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Are you also into frequent elective wars, capital punishment, handguns everywhere and medical care only for those who have money like most of the rest of the "right to lifers"?

8. justtxyank

These arguments that get made against pro-lifers don't hold up under logical review.

Right to life argument on abortion: Abortion is the murder of an innocent life

Pro Choice argument back: Yeah? Well you support the execution of a convicted criminal? HYPOCRITE!

There is an obvious difference between the two and is silly that you would fail to see it. The other two are just pointless to even compare.

That said, as a Pro-Lifer I;
    am against Capital Punishment
    Favor gun rights
    Oppose "elective wars" (though I'd argue most people do. The people who support our wars don't think of them as elective.)
    Favor insurance reform but do not see health insurance as a basic right

9. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Paul Ryan, your GOP candidate for Vice President of the United States.

Be afraid. Be very afraid. :eek:

10. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Don't know who you were arguing with, but the pro-choicers I know believe that a woman has the right to choose what she does with her own body, including her own womb. And that is why they support abortion rights.

11. justtxyank

I was arguing with Glynch. (I quoted him)

He was mocking the pro-life position by pointing out positions that in his mind are hypocritical. The one I specifically was pointing out is that pro-capital punishment is not contrary to being pro-life on the theory of it.

12. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

The ads are being cut as we speak.

BTW rumors are running wild that Akin will drop out tomorrow (after some heavy leaning from the Romney camp).

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

While I consider those extremely different, I will respond to your questions:

Elective wars? No. Iraq supporter originally, but my feelings have changed as to our responsibility to police the world (it isn't). Afghan war I don't consider elective. We did waste to much time and effort there, and we weren't without a large chunk of innocent casualties, which is not okay.

Capital punishment? I have no problem with killing certain criminals. I believe you can forfeit your fundamental right to life. Cost associated with it is too expensive though. If the financial savings don't exist, I don't see the purpose.

Hand guns? I am strongly in favor of stronger gun laws, at the federal level. Handguns will remain legal, so I don't see the point in fighting it. I would support limiting the number an individual could own.

Healthcare? I support a universal healthcare system. We can't just let people die because they don't have money. Our system is beyond inefficient, and it just doesn't work for enough people.

14. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

That kind of rhetoric has been poured out here for years. How can you be pro-Life (on Abortion) and support the Death Penalty or any war just name it... et al.

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I do not think that he is specifically singling out a specific poster but in most cases people who have opinions on abortion follow the party line with other issues. And it is hard to not observe that people who follow the Republican party line abortion is the only issue they have a soft spot for when it comes to caring about other's lives.

16. Major

Major Member

Why is this complex? Why can't people think it's not OK to kill an innocent life but is OK to kill someone who's committed a crime?

If you're pro-choice, do you also have to be anti-jail, since jail takes away a person's choice to not be in jail? :confused:

17. Major

Major Member

Whoops - for some reason, I thought you were glynch and making this as an argument. My bad.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Pro-Life
    Anti Abortion
    Anti Capital Punishment
    Only for wars only to protect life and the dignity of life (e.g. freeing slaves). My view on wars has changed as I've become more pro-life.

On Health Care. I am for it, but not sure the best way to implement. I think the most efficient system for universal health care would be one done by federal government, but I think a Constitutional Amendment would be required as I think this would usurp some rights reserved to the States.

19. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

And I believe that those who make the concession forfeit their moral high ground. While I strongly disagree with Rep. Akin and Rep. Ryan's idea that abortion should not be legal, I am happy that they argued it truthfully, without exceptions that would likely be extremely difficult to enforce in practice.

The fact of the matter is, if you put it up to a vote between a total blanket abortion ban with only an exception for the health of the mother, versus allowing abortions up until fetal viability, with no way to temper it on either side, I think that the vast majority of America would choose for allowing abortions. In the same way that agnostics are really atheists with some reservation, those who allow for rape/incest exceptions are really pro-choice, and in this regard, the postion the GOP House as well as it's vice-presidential nominee seems quite extreme.

20. Nook

Nook Member

pro-choice
    pro-capital punishment
    pro-second amendment
    pro-health care reform