1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GOP: Female body has natural defense against pregnancy in case of legitimate rape

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 19, 2012.

1. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

We live too far apart so you can't see the Bat Signal I'm displaying but you need to go here where there is some real insensitivity run amok:
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=225740

2. Major

Major Member

Because it suggests an idea (that welfare causes people to quit work) that is factually incorrect. There's no lack of details - it's simply 100% untrue. Whether the person is stupid, misinformed, or intentionally misleading, I have no idea. At the end of the day, it's no different than the stupid chain emails. I was trying to be nice by calling it silly instead of any number of other things.

No they are not. They are posting complete falsehoods on Facebook to convince gullible people that welfare is something that its not. They absolutely should be called out on that garbage, either to correct their misconceptions or point out their blatant lies.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What cheapshots? :confused:

You yourself posted:
    I commented on exactly what you had posted since you had posted anecdotes that you yourself say came from Facebook as support for your argument. That shows that you are basing your opinion at least partly on those anecdotes otherwise why cite them in the first place.

If you think that is a cheapshot then you delivered it yourself.

Further you double down again by posting another anecdote you got from Facebook rather than say something like stats, or the Welfare law.

#423 rocketsjudoka, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  4. giddyup

You charged that I was using FaceBook to inform my opinion. My opinions, as I demonstrated, have been there long before FaceBook. I simply provided a supplementary illustration that was timely as it came down my newfeed just recently.

Are you trying to deny that your comment was not meant to demean my position?

5. giddyup

So, are you going to "stand there" and tell me that someone, in Ohio, can make more than $795/month and still get welfare... if they are found out?

Now, what are the specifics of case mentioned in the FaceBook posting? Oh, you don't know. Yes, it may have poorly and incompletely worded but it indicates something beyond just being poorly expressed.

It was a FB rant not politicking.

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I don't really know much about Missouri politics but McCaskill must be really unpopular to have this happen.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slat...ce_gop_climbs_back_into_race_polls_show_.html

Don't Look Now But Todd Akin Has Crept Back Into the Missouri Senate Race

"We're going to be here through the November election, and we're going to be here to win."

Those were the words of Republican Rep. Todd Akin late last month as he vowed to press on with his campaign to unseat Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill in Missouri, despite being abandoned by pretty much his entire party after his "legitimate rape" comments dominated a week's worth of news cycles.

Well, don't look now but Akin appears to have climbed his way back into the race despite the battering he's taken from both sides of the aisle.

McCaskill enjoyed leads of nine and ten points in a pair of polls taken last month as Akin was being hit from all sides. But the two most recent polls show a different story, with Akin clawing his way back within one point of the Missouri Democrat in the (liberal-leaning) PPP survey and into a three-point lead in the (conservative-leaning) Wenzel Strategies poll.

7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Getting back late to this.

So then you used two Facebook anecdotes to justify and support your position.
    Do you consider Facebook anecdotes to be particularly valuable evidence to base or support an argument? If you do then why do you find my comment demeaning? If you don't then why bother citing those two anecdotes as part of your argument?

8. giddyup

They literally came down the FacePath on the days that I posted them... which I thought was highly curious... so I posted them. They were just timely illustrations of the matters being discussed.

I based nothing on them
    ... that is my objection to your characterization.

The one about the welfare workers was not a FB "billboard." It was a narrative written by my friend who had talked with his friend who actually had the Employee turn in notice as indicated.... so it's not some pithy wallhanging that just gets shared around. I didn't even share it-- except to throw it into a CF post to illustrate a current goings-on in a relevant matter.

As I said, my arguments were made years if not decades before those posts showed up. I just threw them up there on a whimsical spur of the moment. Nothing was based on them like you charged.

It was Carroll Dawson who gave Kelvin Cato a ridiculous contract after a couple of decent pre-season games, not me. Your response seemed uncharacteristically CometsWin-like.....

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Nobody cares anymore dude.

10. giddyup

Apparently rocketsjukoda does... and so do you, my love! :rolleyes:

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Akin's campaign isn't done and high profile Republicans like Newt Gingrich have come back to campaign for him. Rick Santorum makes a call for National Republicans to back him.

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/...p-if-gop-wants-to-take-senate?lite&ocid=msnhp

Santorum: Back Todd Akin in Missouri, despite abortion flap, if GOP wants to take Senate
    By NBC's Andrew Rafferty

BARNESVILLE, Ohio -- Rick Santorum on Saturday said the entire Republican Party should voice its support for Senate candidate Todd Akin of Missouri -- including the top of the party's presidential ticket.

After holding a rally for Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney here in the heart of Ohio's coal country, Santorum told NBC News that an Akin victory is essential for the GOP to regain control of the Senate and repeal President Barack Obama's health care law. The only for that to happen, Santorum said, is for the GOP establishment to give the embattled Akin its full-fledged support.

"The entire Republican Party should stand up and say, 'You know what? He's our candidate, it's too important for the future of our country not to have a majority of the Senate in this upcoming election," Santorum said when asked if Romney needs to publicly support Akin. "I'm hoping everybody will join in and support the cause."

The former Pennsylvania senator and unsuccessful president candidate joined South Carolina Sen. Jim DeMint in announcing their support of Akin on Wednesday.

"I don't know what the Republican establishment -- what their objective is, but if they want to repeal Obamacare, we better hold the Senate. And to hold the Senate, we better win Missouri," Santorum said.

Akin has taken heat from both sides of the aisle after using the term "legitimate rape" and saying women have a biological way of preventing unwanted pregnancies while he gave a now-notorious explanation of his views on abortion.

"My feeling is that we can win the presidency, but if we don't have 51 senators, we're not going to be able to repeal Obamacare," said Santorum.

Romney's former rival has been active campaigning for the presidential candidate in the Buckeye State. It's a primary Santorum nearly won on Super Tuesday, and his support was particularly strong in this part of the state, heavy with blue-collar workers and not far from his home of Pittsburgh.

Despite recent polls showing Romney needing to make up significant ground in Ohio, the former senator remained optimistic about the state turning red. "I'm confident that Mitt Romney will win Ohio, will when the presidency," he said. "People here understand how dangerous this president is."

That danger, Santorum said, stems from the president's energy policy, which he claims makes the U.S. more dependent on foreign oil. It is a message the Romney campaign hopes will resonate in this coal-rich part of the state. It is here where Republicans go to hammer Obama for waging a "war on coal."

"This is a president that is going to drive this country to economic ruin because of a phony ideology that, you know, somehow or another he has to control the seas rising and falling," Santorum said.

While Santorum has been traveling as a Romney surrogate, he also has been holding events in places like Iowa independent of the presidential race. It has fueled speculation that he could be eyeing another run.

Asked about his political future, Santorum would only say that he will be happy in 2016 to continue his work as a Romney surrogate. "I'll be happy to come back and campaign for Gov. Romney in four years," he said.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

And the stupid continues...

So, ladies...just be uptight and tense and you can prevent pregnancy.

13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

You'd think these guys would just shut up about this topic. What possible political reason is there to even bring this subject up?

14. Akim523

Akim523 Member

It just shows how incredibly dumb they are...yet they dont know they are dumb.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That could be applied a lot around here.

16. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Guess who has similarly bat**** crazy views as our good friend Todd Akin?

Saudi Cleric Sheikh Saleh Al-Loheidan

Just plain hilarious in the irony.

17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Not surprising. Religious extremists of all stripes have little understanding of science.

18. rudan

rudan Member

Unlike libtards that thought the world would end via global warming by now :p

19. bucket

bucket Member

Cute. You do realize global warming is happening, right? Nobody said the world would end, but the planet is heating up and it's having very costly effects which are only going to get much worse. Scientists' certainty about this has been going up and up.

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The scientists have been largely correct so far about global warming. The fact that people you call libtards accept science, and understand the proof behind man made global warming, doesn't mean anyone thought the world would end.