1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GOP: Female body has natural defense against pregnancy in case of legitimate rape

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 19, 2012.

1. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Haven't done that in a long time-- years probably. Anything can be worth discussing is handled properly. For example, it took my making that mistake a few times to realize that there are patently dishonest people out there. And, in fact, they might be true.

The Truth oftentimes has to work it's way around the world. Some of you hyenas should be a little more patient and humble with the bite of the Truth that you have and share it with people.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think hyena is an upgrade from Nazi. We are making progress here! :)

3. giddyup

Here's another FB anecdote that got published just today:

"I work my butt off everyday, not that I have much of an butt (thanks dad). The way this country is going needs to change. Things should not be given but earned! We have lost that vision. I have had enough of this administration today! As my wife and I work countless hours to make sure our son, and animals have a roof over over our heads. I get a phone call today after a long day of work: " I have an employee that is going to quit." why is that I asked? " Because the employee is going to lose their welfare if they keep working." Really this is what we were built on........ What are we teaching here? We need to fix this country and be self sufficient again. Bring manufacturing back to the USA. Make us grow again, as an independent I have a right to say this!"

4. bucket

bucket Member

I'm pretty sure that's not how welfare works.

5. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I feel we're off topic here somehow.....but how does being an Independent give you the right to want growth? Do people affiliated with parties not have that right? Weird comment.

6. Major

Major Member

And another anecdote that is factually incorrect. Hopefully it doesn't take you as long to realize that FB anecdotes are often as ridiculous as chain emails. :)

7. giddyup

This would seem to confirm the complaint (from 9/1/2012):

http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2012/04/22/Local-families-struggle-under-welfare-rules.html

"To qualify for welfare, formally known as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families or Ohio Works First, a family of three cannot make more than $795 a month, or 50 percent of the federal poverty level. The time limit for most families is 36 months, shorter than the five-year limit imposed by the federal government through welfare reform in 1996."

How does one decide whom/what to believe?

8. Major

Major Member

Right - so if the person has a job, and they currently are on welfare, they would be currently making less than that. Keeping that job wouldn't cause them to lose their welfare.

There are a number of problems with the welfare system (specifically, discouraging people from seeking or accepting promotions), but this isn't one of them.

9. giddyup

Details are sorely lacking but it looks as if hustling and working a little overtime were to push you over the $795 threshold, you would lose the basic assistance-- in her case $368/month for a single mother with one son.

How is that not a problem with the system?

10. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

giddyup = Eastwood minus the fame, fortune, and pro-choice stance (also a Nazi according to giddy for all the baby murders he did). Those are a lot of differences, but an old man yelling at a cloud is an old man yelling at a cloud.

11. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

It is a problem with the system. The problem is that we expect somebody to care for both themselves and a child on $795.00 a month. Lots of luck to you on doing that in a world with rising rent rates, rising fuel prices, leading to increased inflation for things like food.

12. giddyup

There's sort of an echo around here....

You are the loon raking me over the coals for using a term that is well-established as a front in the fight against breast cancer (SaveTheTatas.com) and a term which, BTW, I had recently spotted at my mother-in-law's house on her car.

You castigate me for that being a bad joke and in poor taste and you call me an old man yelling at a cloud?! :eek:

You are Quixotic.

13. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Look dude...I cannot speak for anybody but myself. Given the context of the conversation at the time you made the save the tatas reference, it gave the appearance that you were trying to be glib at a very inappropriate time. I still think you were. Instead of letting it go, you bring up your mother-in-law and her battle in an attempt to legitimize your comments.

FWIW...I wish her the best.

1 person likes this.
  14. giddyup

Save the Tatas is a completely legitimate non-profit that was formed by a woman who had family members suffering with breast cancer. My reference to it is not a tasteless joke; my M-in-Law really did acquire a bumper sticker or fridge magnet which I had just seen at her house a few days earlier.

The proximity of that exposure more than anything was my reason for referencing Save the Tatas.... not just to be glib for glib's sake.

Thank you for the well-wishes for my mother-in-law. She is a retired nurse and served the public for some 30 years and deserves healthy golden years. She battles Parkinson's Disease along with her fight with breast cancer and, to make matters worse, acquired a MRSA infection when she had her mastectomy. This required 8-10 weeks of hospitalization to clear up.

She would be the first to say that you better have a sense of humor when your health starts to fade.

15. Major

Major Member

It *IS* a problem with the system. That is NOT, however, the claim that was made in the silly Facebook anecdote. There, someone claimed they had to quit because they would lose their welfare by continuing to work, which is simply not true at all.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Part of the cold nature science reveals is that our inner workings appear to be the machinery you describe. There has been cloning methods with lab animals where they are cloned from a healthy cell. In these cases, the DNA is transplanted from the healthy cell and into an egg.

For other animals, mostly amphibians or lower, eggs can undergo parthenogenesis and self fertilize. I'm not saying this can happen in humans or mammals, but there's a diverse range of "natural" actions we don't fully understand.

The more research done on this, the less "conditions" will be needed to trigger the formation of an embryo. Maybe there's a recipe for doing more out of pluripotent stem cells. The technology is there. Thankfully, we haven't opened the floodgates on reproductive cloning. For now, that work will have to be done in the private hands of old men who like to think they can live forever.

17. Invisible Fan

What steps would you take to make natural parents accountable? Increase the size of prisons? There are scores of potential parents on long waiting lists to adopt. I don't think that supply will run out.

The best prevention I can see is to make them not parents, and raise responsible people. Both sides on the political spectrum are looking for easy one-size-fits-all standards. Some look to the law and punitive consequences. Others look towards science to buttress their rationalizations and provide technological solutions.

You can't "stop the killing" by making abortions illegal. It won't work like that. First of all, I haven't seen a female perspective on this topic, which makes this an exercise in futility and masturbation (intended). Secondly, you think "the killing" is the root of the problem when it's only the symptom. As I grow older, I'm more of the mindset that avoiding the "social conservative" moniker will tear apart our country, and not politically, but by the very nature of how we interact with each other.

Being a good neighbor. Showing concern for others. Taking risks on other people's kids even when their irresponsible wretches that shrug accountability.... That takes a lot of guts and effort. We're very litigious, and heroism in small deeds is met with cynicism through the media, the internet, or your peers. The acts are definitely more than the answers we're looking for.

Or maybe it's that "social conservatives" have symbolically captured these values as their own while aligning themselves with the most craven, selfish, and powerful robber barons.

There is a pervading sickness spreading in that responsibility is only taught or given by those fortunate enough with the right parenting. Yet that's a catch-22 all too present in these kinds of debates, isn't it? And why be responsible when money is the end-all on how people treat you. If one is rich, then obviously that person has done something right, or righter than all the losers who make less, but possibly try to do more to help their community.

It's a very tight trap we're in. Career advancement isn't solely about seniority anymore. It's about continuous self improvement and reinvention. In the wrong situation, and there are more of them than right, the person focuses on themselves and disregard others. A math graduate can bank 250k+ bonuses after 3 years in a big bank or make its equivalent after 6 or 10. What is more self fulfilling? Which contributes more to society and the quality of life?

This topic, should we totally sweep the personal struggles and trials of women, is just one facet of that.

18. Invisible Fan

"Inartful" is the best way to put it. That ******* opened the door on his daughter's private life, but stopped short of making the true comparison he wanted to make...that his daughter faced a dilemma of either instant convenience or upfront shame and embarrassment to her and her family... either characterizations will ultimately be in the annals of unflattering coded messages his grandson will receive.

There is some similarity with any woman who has to come to grips with an unwanted pregnancy, but when it comes to rape and you're a man, the best course to take is to Shut The **** Up.

19. giddyup

Not sure why you would judge the anecdote as silly. Details are lacking but for some reason working jeopardizes his welfare. You can cast all the doubt you want upon that claim but they are 'in the game" and you are on the sideline.

20. giddyup

This is a large question and the answer is not simple. I know that restricting abortion access would slow down the pace of abortion. That's a huge deal for those children who benefit from that.

For sure. But some have given up hope for that and expect no discipline, common sense or good judgment from our people. The right to rut irresponsibly is not paramount.

It will work like that. Some, not all, will have their behavior curbed by the law and that is a life saved. Does it matter for that child? Hell yes.

I understand what "causes" babies, i.e. the root of the problem. I'm all for that kind of education and encouragement. I don't "require" abstinence but I think that sexual pairing should be a very careful and cautious decision rather than a personal contest to score on the weekend with the best piece one can find. It's like a game but the consequences are real in spite of the fact that currently we are not forced to face up to those consequences as we have a get out of jail card.

Somewhere in the vicinity of 50 Million fetuses have been aborted since 1973 when Roe v. Wade was ruled upon.

Labels limit as much as they help. I'm pro-Life and pro-Gay Marriage so there goes your labeling system.

At the end of the day or the statement period, you have to live with yourself. When we so readily take away the accountability factors, the pressure to even bother is sharply reduced.

This topic is about the lives of the children that are at stake first, the mother second and everyone else third.

I believe in keeping the main thing the main thing.