1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GOP: Female body has natural defense against pregnancy in case of legitimate rape

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 19, 2012.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I think he is absolutely right -- women have a natural defense against rape. It's called believing in our Lord Jesus Christ and not sinning.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Regardless, it is not a GOP position. Why did you choose to use 'GOP' and not 'GOP candidate' or 'GOP Senate candidate'? It seems it was a deliberate attempt on your part to associate the entire party with the asinine comments of a guy running for the Senate.

3. Major

Major Member

Interestingly, Paul Ryan is connected to the whole "forcible rape" / "legitimate rape" part of this. He partnered with Akin earlier this year to change the law on federally funded abortion policy to only include forcible rape instead of other kinds of rape (unclear what that would be - statutory? drugged?):

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/20...kin-and-paul-ryan-partnered-to-redefine-rape/

Federal law prevents federal Medicaid funds and similar programs from paying for abortions. Yet the law also contains an exception for women who are raped. The bill Akin and Ryan cosponsored would have narrowed this exception, providing that only pregnancies arising from “forcible rape” may be terminated. Because the primary target of Akin and Ryan’s effort are Medicaid recipients — patients who are unlikely to be able to afford an abortion absent Medicaid funding — the likely impact of this bill would have been forcing many rape survivors to carry their rapist’s baby to term. Michelle Goldberg explains who Akin and Ryan would likely target:

Under H.R. 3, only victims of “forcible rape” would qualify for federally funded abortions. Victims of statutory rape—say, a 13-year-old girl impregnated by a 30-year-old man—would be on their own. So would victims of incest if they’re over 18. And while “forcible rape” isn’t defined in the criminal code, the addition of the adjective seems certain to exclude acts of rape that don’t involve overt violence—say, cases where a woman is drugged or has a limited mental capacity. “It’s basically putting more restrictions on what was defined historically as rape,” says Keenan.

If the Dems are smart, they will try to drag Ryan into a discussion on social issues with this - he's been avoiding talking about his positions, but they are pretty far right, even from mainstream conservatives in some cases.

4. Major

Major Member

To clarify - this bill didn't make it into law, as even the GOP realized it was bat***** crazy and killed it.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Isn't he a GOP congressman?

6. bobrek

He is a GOP congressman who is running for the Senate, but he is not the GOP.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So... one of the first legislation introduced by newly elected GOP/Tea Party-dominated House of Rep. in the 112th Congress is H.R. 3:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c112:6:./temp/~c112Q7FSGD::

8. bobrek

That is a whole other issue than Akin's comments. This thread was specific to the comments of Akin, plus as Major pointed out, the GOP removed the language from the bill.

Should I create a thread saying:

Democrats: Think we won the Vietnam war and North and South Vietnam live peacefully together?

Democrats: Think we planted a flag on Mars?

After all, a Democrat said these things.

9. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

What an *******.

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Thank you for being a beacon of good sense.

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Just let it go. Anyone who posts in D&D knows what they're doing.

12. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Good ad hominem attack.

For your information there are pro-Life Democrats and pro-Choice Republicans.

Those of any party who are pro-Life care for the Child more than the Choice. It's a call with unpleasant consequences but also a call with a beautiful outcome and to call it any other way is even more unpleasant.

13. Carl Herrera

From Akin:

Really, he "mis-spoke"? So, what he he mean to say about the "natural defenses against pregnancy in the case of legitimate rape"? The statement isn't exactly the verbal equivalent of a typo.

He "mis-spoke" only to the extent that he revealing what he really believes in was bad for his electoral chances and and he did it.

1 person likes this.
  14. Carl Herrera

Akin's comment said (1) women's bodies have natural defenses against pregancy in case of rape, and (2) partly because of that abortion should be illegal even in the case of rape. Both of these are related points. Other GOP politicians may or may not agree with the former statement, but many of them, including Paul Ryan, seem to agree with the latter.

15. Sacudido

Sacudido Contributing Member

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/17/world/americas/dominican-republic-abortion/index.html?hpt=hp_bn2

Figured I'd put this here instead of a separate thread. An example of the misguided results that would result from a complete abortion ban.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'm a very pro-life person. I would provide no exception for rape (I feel terrible for those women, but how do we rationalize murder of the innocent?).

What a completely stupid thing to say.

17. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Other people may feel differently but I think there should be a right to choose when the mother's life is in jeopardy. That's a really miserable choice that she would have to make, but her life is deemed to be at stake. My guess is that lots of mothers would run the risk of the pregnancy.

18. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

This kind of idiocy making it to elected office makes me want to go live elsewhere.

#38 rhadamanthus, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  19. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Ms. McCaskill says thank you.

Count MO as a safe dem seat.

20. TL

TL Contributing Member

I know nothing about mccaskill and would not be able to describe myself as a dem, but if I would have to support her to have that idiot out of a job, I'm ok with that.