1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Google CEO Exposes Shocking Full Extent Of Russian Meddling In 2016

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Dec 13, 2018.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

How about every other social media platform and the NRA? I'll wait.

"Shocking full extent of Russian meddling". Mojo must have gone to the Trump University School of BS.

#21 CometsWin, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  2. WNBA

WNBA Member

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

4. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...the NRA knows the value of a ruble.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

We get it comrade.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

7. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...I actually did have somebody approach me explaining the reasons why Texas secession was a plausible option for the state.

Had a copy of the petition and everything.

Tried not to pay attention to the fact that this was a middle-aged white guy (that would have been really reverse-racist of me)...

...I'll grant that this was back in 2009, when the overarching fear was that the n!ggers were going to run the country into the ground like they did in "Africa" or Chicago after one of them got elected President...we've come a long way since then...

...(if you can't beat'em, don't let'em play seems to be working well, now as before)...

...but a winning strategy is a winning strategy.

...Again—there really is no substitute for the classics...

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not gonna get much attention in the other thread . . . probably deserves its own thread ;)

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Does not deserve its own thread, but appreciate it's presence here. I suspect Silver is right. Russians did a lot of stuff but hard to say if any of it was effective. But I also don't think efficacy is the point. It's bad that they tried. And to whatever extent anyone helped them to try, knew but said nothing, or tried to leverage their effort for benefit, that's bad too.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I went and found the reports published by the Senate Intelligence Committee and the one by Oxford. Neither investigation looked at bulletin board services or other efforts outside the main platforms like Facebook and Instragram. They do mention that Reddit, Tumblr, Medium, and Pinterest reported IRA activity on their platforms, but they don't include those in the studies. So of course Clutchfans isn't mentioned either.

Amiga and mdrowe00 like this.
  11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-much-did-russian-interference-affect-the-2016-election/

"in the dark" is pretty appropriate.

What does Silver knows about micro-targeting? And if Russians were using those technique?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/11/181119155940.htm

Summary:
    Research has studied the effectiveness of micro-targeted political advertising on social media such as Facebook in the United States. The research concludes that it may have increased the number of Donald Trump voters by ten per cent in the 2016 presidential elections.

This is for EU, which indicate 15% of the population (subjected to the propaganda) adopting the pro-Russian propaganda themes.

https://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/research_reports/RR2200/RR2237/RAND_RR2237.pdf

Russian might just be throwing sh*t and see what happen, but how many years have they been doing propaganda? Pretty naive to think they don't at least know something. And more importantly, it's dumb to not take it seriously.

#31 Amiga, Dec 18, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018