1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Google as a possible Wireless Carrier?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Nov 16, 2012.

1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

http://bgr.com/2012/11/15/google-di...arrier/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Along with Dish, I think this could be something special.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I hope they buy T-Mobile.

3. ItsMyFault

This is what I'm hoping too. I liked what some people said in the comments of that article, T-Mobile is already set to deploy LTE soon. It would perfect. I'd switch.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

We can only hope. It would be incredibly disruptive to the industry and great for consumers.

5. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I hope this happens.

6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

They're getting too evil, but I'd support that or a T-Mobile buy

7. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

They would have to prove a lot for me to ever switch to a Google carrier. They have a history of providing half baked products/services and they are absolutely terrible at customer service.

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

You don't mess with big oil and you don't mess with telecom. They have both been around for a 100+ years and if you mess with them prepare for bad things to happen.

Verizon and ATT are both the old ATT. Just like Exxon, Chevron etc are all the old standard oil.

9. micks96

micks96 Member

Did anyone see the Google optics (or something like that) video they made a while back? You'd put in contacts and it'd be like an ipad/iphone in your head. While walking around you could see texts, emails, social network notifications, stocks, sports scores, etc.

Someone can prolly find the video and then I'll just delete my post

10. 713

713 Member

I'm from the future and google goes bankrupt in the year 2015.

11. Pringles

Pringles Member

Based off what?

12. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

the future. duh

13. ItsMyFault

Never experienced this before, so from my POV, this is very inaccurate.

14. g1184

g1184 Member

Google tv, Google wave, Google plus, Google buzz. Search "Google graveyard" and you'll find more.

They either hit home runs or strike out ... and they market every swing like Babe Ruth.

15. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Didn't ATT buy them out a while back?

16. ItsMyFault

Wouldn't say Google TV is a failure, they just haven't paid much attention to it. I think as Android evolves, so will it.

The rest of those aren't comparable to something like this.

Really the only thing comparable to something of this magnitude is Google Fiber which is still in beta in Kansas.

The merger fell through.

17. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

whatever Google does I'm for it

I have always benefited from what they have been creating

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This may be happening mid next year. Somebody pinch me.

http://9to5google.com/2012/11/16/go...-is-a-go-plans-for-2013-launch-being-hatched/

Google-Dish wireless service is a go, plans for 2013 launch being hatched

Regarding the Google-Dish tie up that was reported last night, we just got word that this is really happening. While the details haven’t been finalized, Google is already deep into development on plans to roll out the service and have it live by mid-late 2013.

Google plans to make the service data-only with voice and SMS only being used as VoIP services, likely with Google Voice. Google of course already has its ISP feet on the ground with its Fiber rollout on the Stanford Campus and its just-opened Kansas City network.

Google is launching its Glass head gear next year and would benefit from total control of the network. Without full control, Google is seeing its Voice and Wallet services being blocked by carriers, specifically AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile.

Dish has previously said on numerous occasions that it would like to build a wireless network with the wireless spectrum it has acquired since 2008, but the company wants a partner to help fulfill this endeavor. As the Wall Street Journal noted in its report from yesterday, Dish Chairman Charlie Ergen said potential partners include companies that would like to be in the industry and currently don’t have a wireless sector.

The chairman would not comment on Google specifically when discussing potential partners. However, as we noted, our sources said partnership plans between the two companies regarding a wireless network are already well underway.

19. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I believe Dish has the 2ghz spectrum available, it's an absolutely piece of junk to ever build a wireless carrier on. I would never support this, and the service would be awful.

A T-Mobile buyout would be more suitable.

20. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

They tried and didn't complete. As a result, T-Mob got a large cash award which is what they have used to build-out their LTE network this coming year.