1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Goofing Off Leads to Lack of Mentality?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by MrAwe, May 24, 2010.

1. Shaud

Shaud Member

An age limit would not stop this. LeBron and Dwight are older than 21 and they are the reason this thread was made.

2. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Don't use that excuse. These teams are arguably the two most talented teams in the league. They had the first and second best record in the league this year and have averaged around sixty wins per year between the two of them over the last two seasons.

There certainly is a mental preparation that most players need before the game. It's no coincidence that the all time great players/teams were known for their toughness and focus. It's no coincidence either that they were not known for dancing, front-running and having mini-productions or manufactured rituals before important games.

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Are you seriously trying to correlate between choreographed dances / dunk contest pregame warmups with how they are performing on the court???

I don't like the LeBronnettes for their dancing and their goofing off because I think it's immature but I can point out MANY plausible and logical reasons why they got beat by the Celtics:

1. Rondo murdered Mo Williams
    2. Garnett never had a defender on him that could challenge his length
    3. LeBron going into the Witness Protection Program in Game 5
    4. One of their most productive players during the regular, JJ Hickson, produced nothing for them.

All of these reasons didn't come about because they were busy practicing dance moves--they just simply ran into a team that they didn't build for.

4. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

What about last season when Cleveland (the better team) had it's soul taken from them by Orlando (who barely got by a broken down Celtics team)?

We are not just talking about one or two series here. We're talking about two teams that have been the beasts of the east for two years yet both got pummeled when they ran into teams that have focused, professional players. It's not just that they lose, it's that they quit. How can you even deny that?

Please list off to me all the Championship teams of the past that had dancing, fake rituals and skits before games?

Thanks

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

There's a reason why Cleveland went out and got Shaq and I'm sure you know why that is. Howard averaged 30 points and 12.5 rebounds a game in the 4 Orlando wins. This doesn't even include how Orlando was able to tee up the Cavs at the 3 point line as well. Even Rafer Alston was lighting Mo Williams up.

It was all about matchups. During the regular season that year, Orlando won the season series 2-1. If you don't believe that its' all about matchups, ask Dirk Notwizki about the GS Warriors. You mention "focused and professional players", the Warriors were no doubt focused but hardly professional (as shown in their loss to the Jazz that year).

Perkins has done a great job defending Howard and the Celtics haven't had to Double Howard as much as other teams, which allow the other 4 Boston defenders the luxury of sticking to their man and not allowing them open 3s.

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

The Magic beat the Celtics 3-1 in the season series. Funny how the matchups don't matter until the playoffs roll around the level of play goes up a notch.

But I guess you had Boston pegged to beat Cleveland and pummel Orlando all along because of these matchups?

7. foo82

foo82 Member

How would it not stop this? College basketball help players develop a sense of control and ability to take or demand leadership. People who jumped from high school basketball to NBA has shown a lot of immaturity as well as lacking mentality in wanting to win. Of course there are a few exceptions like Kobe but that is because he had Shaq in his prime. Why do you think he was egged on when Shaq left?

If you look at all the past winners, did any of them showboat or do stupid antics like Lebron? Hell no. The only person closest to it is probably Shaq YET he didnt go as far as Lebron throwing chalk, or the stupid little pregame gimmicks and whatnot.

8. foo82

foo82 Member

Matchups is one thing but you have to admit, Mike Brown was and still is a terrible coach.

9. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I agree.

I think people underestimate the importance of what playing in a college program does for players. Most college coaches are not going to allow the types of habits (the goofing off, front-running, big productions before games) that Lebron and Howard seem to be so fond of. These guys are simply missing a huge part of what it takes to be a true NBA winner and it shows in that they both produce amazing regular season stats and wins but get smashed when they run into a team with a playoff mentality.

It's too bad a guy like Jerry Sloan or Greg Popovich could not coach these two. It will never happen because they both refuse to play for a coach with balls. That's why you see Lebron undermining Mike Brown in press conferences and Dwight Howard taking every chance he can get to do his SVG impression or tell the media how he lead a group of players who all got together to tell SVG to not be such a hardass (still can't believe the NBA has degraded to the point where players are telling coaches how to behave).

1 person likes this.
  10. MrAwe

MrAwe Member

+1 great points

the first time I saw Howard's SVG impression, I thought he was gonna be benched for a few games.

the way the game is played today makes me sad sometimes

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

They are so young, they are still thinking about their mothers. ;)

12. foo82

foo82 Member

I know Delonte West is!

13. da_juice

da_juice Member

This is their job, there job is not to have fun, this is not community rec basketball, this is the pro's you're getting paid to win. Can you enjoy the game while you play? Yes. But there comes a time where you have to get serious and do your stuff.

14. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I dont think goofing around before the game can affect the result of the game. For some people goofing around and having fun before a big game, relaxes them and then they can play better because they are not with a lot of stress.

15. Major

Major Member

Wait - so was Orlando serious last year and not this year? Is the argument that these teams are serious enough to win 3 playoff serious, but too goofy to win 4?

The Superbowl Shuffle comes to mind...

16. zito08

zito08 Member

No need to get defensive i agree that winning a championship is very hard and theres nothing wrong to have some fun. I do think that Lebron and Dwight are going to have many oppurtinitys to win a championships, however your point is invalid. Before coming to boston ray and kevin didnt had enough help neither did paul, and last year they werent healthy. Same thing with Dwayne the last full year that Shaq was there, Dwayne got injured(by shane battier) and he wasnt the same dwayne. After Shaq Dwade hasnt have enough help and the team is very inconsistent. Same with Kobe,and in the case of John and Karl they just had the unfortunate to face the great michael jordan in their 2 finals appearances. I think the reason why people blame LBJ and Dwight failures in the playoffs because in paper their team are loaded and non of their key players were injured, unlike the examples that you mention, but thats just my opinion.

17. ThaShark316_28

Yeah cuz no one acts a damn fool in the NBA.

The lakers and their Major League-like ish on the bench? I would say what it REALLY is, but I'll leave that alone.

18. ThaShark316_28

To backpack what I said...

The Yankees did the pie to the face thing after almost every win...you still have to compete, stay focused and still...have fun.

19. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Who did Orlando beat last year besides a broken down, injury depleted Celtics team (that almost beat them anyway) and a Cavs team that has now firmly established itself as a team that rolls over in the playoffs?

20. ThaShark316_28

Come on Dave...you can't just take eastern conference titles...

I can make the case that the Lakers beat...the bum ass Jazz, the injury depleted Rockets and a dumb ass choking Denver team....see how unfair that is?