1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Goofing Off Leads to Lack of Mentality?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by MrAwe, May 24, 2010.

1. MrAwe

MrAwe Member

This is totally random and just something that I observed in this playoff. I am probably way off track but I just want to know what you guys think.

During the regular season, the Cavaliers and the Magics gave me the impression that they are young teams that like to have fun with performances like these:
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uW_uRotxG3Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uW_uRotxG3Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jZdckN_XVOE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jZdckN_XVOE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

It was fun to watch during the regular season, but I think their playful attitude hurt them during the playoffs.

The Magics' effort can pretty much be summarized by this play:
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rjj-YyfKwRE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rjj-YyfKwRE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Both teams were out hustled by the aged Celtics on practically every play.

Anyways, what do you guys think?

2. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Exactly. Those douchebags need to stop dancing and play ball.

3. Shaud

Shaud Member

I think it has more to do with Boston being healthy than both of those teams goofing off in the regular season.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

I'd tend to agree with this though Ric Bucher tweeted this a week or so ago

Ric Bucher: Maybe I'm old school, but can't see LBJ/Dwight w/a ring til they lose the dancing/acting/histrionics. Shaq=clown but Wade/Kobe had rudder.

5. mazyar

mazyar Member

I think it has to do with players sleeping with teammates' mothers.

6. foo82

foo82 Member

It's because of their childish antics or their little showboating that they will never win a championship game. Their mentality is to have fun while championship teams is to win. Big difference.

7. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

I have no problem with them having fun. I don't think you have to bark at other players or walk around on all fours to want to win.

We want our athletes to be modern day gladiators but the truth is they're just athletes playing a game, and one that's not really a heavy contact sport at that.

The only issue I have with it is that it's just hard to be loose when the pressure is multiplied in the playoffs and that can change up your game. But ultimately I don't blame a player for enjoying what appears to be a pretty enjoyable job. Some people can be happy and joke around and still be focused. It's not very common, but these guys are already in the top millionth percentile in their respective job fields, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Better to have too happy of a player than the other way around...

8. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

To be fair though, Garnett is a huge douchebag too.

9. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

its not the antics, boston is just better overall ............

10. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

but that was exactly the thing the cavs were doing in that video. :grin:

11. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

man that baseball video was gay as hell

1 person likes this.
  12. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

and the sad part is that some of those grown men involved in that realizes the same thing but has to go along pretending 'this is so fun and we're such great teammates' just to appease that 1 guy

13. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

Exactly. They are people and not everyone's demeanor is the exact same. I don't understand how this affects the crunchtime when the games are won or lost. They are all serious when they need to be. Before and after the game are completely different. Anyone calling Dwight or LeBron not serious during the game, meaning when they are in the game playing, is not being fair or realistic.

In regards to neither of them winning a championship, winning the title is unbelievably hard. How many different teams have won it this decade? Lakers, Spurs, Celtics, Pistons, Heat. The difference between those teams and the Cavaliers and Magic is that each and every one of those teams had multiple hall of famers to lead them, besides perhaps Detroit.

Their problem of not winning a championship won't be solved by acting like the Lakers and Celtics during the regular and postseasons, it will be solved by them increasing their team talent, especially the Cavaliers.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL if snarling on the court was all it took to win games then everyone would have done it by now.

These guys aren't goofing off during plays, they do their stuff during play stoppages,as if that has an impact on the game. And FYI that Cavs team isnt young at all. After LBJ their top 3 players are over 30 years old.

Anybody who says LBJ and DH need to get more serious hasn't been watching these guys play :rolleyes: I suppose the Celts having 4 all stars on their team isn't a factor....

15. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

So,

Was Ray Allen not serious for the first ten years of his career? Was he serious his first year in Boston, then a joker for the second year, and is he now serious again?

Was the same thing true about Paul Pierce? Kevin Garnett? Did Dwayne Wade lose his seriousness after Shaq got old? Did Kobe temporarily lose it in between Shaq and Pau?

How about people realize that only one team can win a championship every year? It's damn hard to win a title. Why can't a team lose because they aren't as good as the team that beat them? Why does it have to be because a team is full of guys that like to have fun? Why does it have to be because LeBron wants to leave Cleveland? Why does it have to be that Dwight is a goofball? Why can't it be that Dwight's an offensive liability at times and Rashard Lewis is playing like garbage?

Were John Stockton and Karl Malone goofing around their entire careers? Was David Robinson a goofball until Tim Duncan showed up?

16. 523744

523744 Member

Difference is all those players you spoke of (allen, pierce, garnett, robinson, duncan) were all serious players and played all out so you knew they were focused in on the game. When you have guys like Dwight calling himself superman and LBJ calling himself the king and the chosen one, showboating, dancing, dunking, and then LOSING it gives people a reason to point at their personalities

17. MrAwe

MrAwe Member

I think you are a little confused by what I said. My point wasn't "the only way to win championships is to be serious about the game". Obviously tons of guys didn't win although they played their hearts out.

You need a great team, chemistry, a good coach, some luck and there is seriousness. MJ and Kobe didn't win their rings because they were serious about the game, but it sure was a booster.

Obviously there are different factors that determines the outcome. Celtics have a better team and coach and a bit of luck.

My point was, did "Goofing off lead to Lack of Mentality"(wasn't that the title?) because I saw the Cavs and the Magics being out hustled on almost every play except a few games.

18. foo82

foo82 Member

Would rep you if I could =(

This is also why Kareem Abdul Jabbar wants the age limit to be brought up to 21. I honestly believe that players develop a much better mentality if they go through college. When you see kids like Kobe, Garnet, LJ, they were cocky when they first came into the NBA. Especially now a days with the mentality of the game changing, it's even worse.

Does this effect the mentality of players today? Sure does. Until Lebron or Dwight Howard wins a championship, I would say otherwise.

19. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

You still can't deny that these two teams had the two best records in the league during the regular season but can't win jack when it all counts. They are unable to raise their level of play and focus and to suspect it has something to do with them doing choreographed dances and skits in pregame while the other teams (that beat them in the playoffs) are quiet, focused and thinking about playing the game.

20. Shaud

Shaud Member

Shaq called himself Superman and he still won Championships.