1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Goodbye Super Size...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mrpaige, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I had Whataburger last sunday around 2am, and damn it was good. The burger was awesome.

Ofcourse anything might have tasted great that night. But still, I have heard a lot of god things about whataburger and I thought I would give it a try.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

In-N-Out has the best burgers ever, too bad they don't franchise.

3. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

I personally don't care since I haven't had a burger from McDonals in over 3 years, they are the worst burgers ever!

4. PhiSlammaJamma

I liked Whataburger in Las Vegas. Good stuff.

5. Isabel

Isabel Member

Why do people go to Mickey D's when there are any other alternatives? Even Burger King and Wendy's are better, and usually if you look around you can do better than that. Whataburger is a little better (though not that much variety). If you have a Back Yard Burgers in your area, those are great (though they don't give you very many fries). Not to mention various local places (Dan's in Austin; I can't think of where in Houston right now).

Of course, the best chain of them all is Culver's. It looks like good things do come from up north after all.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

There's a Whataburger in Las Vegas?????

Actually, there isn't.

What're you thinking of, PSJ?

7. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Carls Junior was awesome.
    I used to like Hardees, but now Its all about Chick Fil A, and Arby's.

8. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

For me its one of the biggest mysteries why peope actually eat at McDonalds. It is the worst fast food burger place I can think of.

9. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

The only time I do eat McDonalds is when I'm on the road and going through a small town that doesn't have anything else.

Though I do like McDonalds breakfasts. I'm usually not up early enough to go get one, though.

10. Isabel

Isabel Member

How could I forget Hardee's? Great stuff.

Arby's... used to be good, but for some reason I can't stand it anymore. Did their "roast beef" go downhill in quality in the last few years, or am I just getting old and picky?

11. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

Does anyone remember a place called "Rallies" and then they changed it to "Checkerds", that was one of my favorite places for burgers, and the fries were the best, I don't think we have any of those burger places in houston any more, but I saw one in san antonio like two years ago, anyways, that place was the best.

12. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I remember Rally's in Arkansas when I spent some time there one summer with my mother (who lives in Arkansas). They're still around up there (as Rally's. Checker's is the same company and essentially the same restuarant, but they carry different names in different places), but they're not as high-profile as they were a few years ago.

13. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

That was the firt thing that came to my mind. Consumers health my brown butt. They want you to spend more $$$.

14. AGBee

AGBee Member

McDonald's? Never heard of em.

15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The hamburger giant has started phasing out its trademark Supersize fries and drinks in its U.S. restaurants as part of an effort to simplify its menu and give customers choices that support "a balanced lifestyle," a company spokesman said Tuesday.

Yeah, I know that super-size thing was confusing the heck out of me. Sometimes I'd sit and stare at the menu for 15 minutes, completely dumbfounded by this whole concept of upsizing for 39 cents. I'm glad they're simplifying that. Thank God.

16. drapg

drapg Member

Consider investing in higher quality toilet paper.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

There was one on Riverside Drive when I was in Austin right off of I35, now it is something else. I ate there when it was Checkerds, pretty good, like Sonic used to be.

Why do people eat at Mickey D's, simple my friend, the greatest marketing machine in the world. I'm almost thirty, and I can remember begging my, mom anytime she picked me up from school, for the leggo Happy Meal. They grab you early and never let go.

18. edwardc

edwardc Member

It's all about the fries it's the fries man.

19. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

What a bunch of utter bull$*it!!

What pisses me off is the idea that a company is responsible for the ramifications of consumers choices.

McDonalds is a greasy hamburger joint. Its not supposed to support a balanced lifestyle. It is free to market however it wishes.

They're just scared of the lawyer's turning on them next saying that Americans are too dumb to make their own choices and deal with those choices about what they eat.

If someone eats McDonalds 3 times a day, supersized that is their problem. Why should the company be responsible. They make their menu to what creates profit for their company. If people were buying salad's like crazy, then they would have them on every advertisement, but it is not what consumers desire.

McDonalds doesn't build tastes, it caters to them. For idiots to blame the company for creating an unhealthy lifestyle is indicative of this age of blame and lack of taking responsibility for ones own actions.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I totally agree that McDonald's isn't responsible for people's choices in food.

But I doubt they are really scared of getting sued, or government ramifications. Coming down on McDonalds wouldn't be like coming down on the tabacco industry who willfully lied about the ramifications of using their products. A lawsuit by private individuals or the state against McDonalds would be laughed out of court, I believe, and furthermore wouldn't be looked upon favorably by the public.

I think this is just a marketing ploy to look responsible, and secondly I really doubt McDonalds would do anything to cut into their revenues. I'm sure they have carefully studied this move and what impact it will have on their bottom line.