1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Good Sushi places

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Fatty FatBastard, Jun 27, 2006.

Tags:
  1. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

azuma - downtown. THE BEST.

osaka - montrose. 2nd best

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

C'mon, what did you expect with a sushi thread in the Montross? You work with what you got...

3. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

Their service is so freakin slow its unbelievable. Sad b/c I really like there food, but can't deal with the service. I usually stick to Fish in Midtown.

4. Buck Turgidson

I will strongly 2nd this recommendation.

Osaka on Westheimer east of Montrose would be another option.

eric.81 likes this.
  5. University Blue

Nippon, one block south of Richmond on Montrose. Sit at the last table, next to the window, on the outside. It's a terrific date spot!

6. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nippon.

Very good date place. It's always better to sit at the sushi bar.

Then Kubo's in the Village, at the bar.

All that said, I really really like Yan Sushi. It's been very good price /quality for me. I like the service at the bar, as always. I'd personally take a date to Yan Sushi, I think it's a great date place. The really cool thing is, the bar is pretty darn good. After, it's only natural that you suggest going somewhere more lively for more drinks or dance or whatever.

7. Khal80

Khal80 Contributing Member

if your ever in Katy, youhave to go to Sushi Hana (on mason rd)

small little place, nothing fancy, but great great sushi

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't think Osaka is 2nd best good, but I do like them, and they are right in Montrose.

I think Azuma and Uptown are the best.

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I've heard great things about Kubo's, but I haven't been there yet.

Despite the name, I thought Sushi King on Kirby and Westheimer was pretty good. I've been to Blue Fin once, and wasn't very impressed. We usually go to a place called Koto on Westheimer. It's very good and cheap, but not a good date spot.

Rickshaw was absolutely awful.

10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

If its like the Blue Fish up in Dallas, then I'd recommend this as well...Not too pricey, for Dallas and for lunch, they have 2 for 1...

11. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Fatty, having met you, I am highly confident you would really like Sage 400...both the sushi and the scene!

Be sure to wear your finest Hollywood black when you go!

:)

12. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

If this is that place that is right near the Pei Wei then I absolutely agree. I was very impressed but the menu made me feel like a sushi novice.

13. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

My favorite place for sushi is Azuma and the Fish.

RA is completely overrated. The food is subpar, the service is horrible and is overpriced. The place only survives on the environment.

Rickshaw is similar in that the environment is great, but the food is subpar for the prices.

14. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I agree and I agree. RA and Rickshaw are for meeting women, not for eating sushi.

15. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

Sushi King is fantastic. I would highly recommend that place.

If you like a low keyed place with good specials, you guys should check out Oiishi off of Richmond and Timmons.

16. Fatty FatBastard

I'm really Surprised nobody else brought up Nara. Best sushi I've had. It's located at Westheimer @ Wilcrest, though. Too far for me to go to get sushi.

17. tolne57

tolne57 Contributing Member

Try and find out when a restaurant receives their shipment of fish, then go the next day.

I'm not really a rolls person, but I find the nigiri is good at the following:

Kubo's in the village is excellent.
    Kanayama is good as well, though it a bit far from midtown.
    Teppay is great, but the prices are bit high. Far from midtown as well.
    Azuma downtown is up and down, but it's close to midtown.

#37 tolne57, Jun 28, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2006
  18. itzIce

itzIce Member

The Fish is a great spot for a date if you can get those romantic 2-seat booths.
    Rolls there are good, sushi (the raw stuff) is okay.

If you really want same day fresh sushi and awesome sashimi specialties....there is a great spot in Clear Lake(on Nasa Road/El Camino Real), Masa Sushi....they got some good rolls too....

The Fish - Shoi Roll, Bubba Gump Roll, Millenium Roll, Miso Cod....romantic atmosphere.

Masa Sushi - Crunch Roll, Scorpion Roll, Xin Xin Roll, Black Pepper Tuna Sashimi, Texas Jalapeno Yellowtail Sashimi, Tuna Tartare apptz...nice dating atmosphere

Honorable mention...Kubo's

Overpriced....Azuma

itzIce

19. Phil

Phil Contributing Member

there's a place called sushi king on kirby (near the compa...er, lakewood church). i know the name sounds ridiculous and tacky, but the sushi, service, and atmosphere are all well above par.

i actually came across it when i went to ra. my gf and i walked in there just to check out the menu at the front and the selection looked terrible (the food we saw on a couple tables looked bad too). we walked out soon after and there was a gay couple that had just eaten there and both of them said they really regretted it, telling us we had to try sushi king. the prices are very fair also. i promise, it's a great find.

20. Buck Turgidson

They're not related.