1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Good shooter on bad shooting nights, do you keep going to him if you were coach?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Van Gundier, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

If you have a player who is typically fairly efficient with a certain type of shot judging by season and career numbers, but he kept on missing the same shots during this game (going something like 1 for 7, 3 for 13, or something), and you can run the same play to set him up for the same shot, do you

1)go ahead and run the play, believing that it's still a good shot anyhow

or

2)quit running that play, because he is clearly incapable of doing it this night.

What do you think?

It's a situation that has happened with some Rockets players (and players on other teams, too). I

2. mag

mag Contributing Member

Yes if the player has been in a short slump, but if the shooter has been in a slump for the whole season, I will stop running that many plays for that player or allow that player to shoot that many bad shots.

3. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

yes. the guy is known as a good shooter for a reason, because he makes shots.

4. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Please enough with the stupid threads which sole purpose is to justify your Boy's inadequate coaching style. He is coaching the most talented team in the league, no excuses anymore.

5. dream2franchise

Maybe ask Pat Riley :D

6. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Why don't you shut the **** up, you ****ing r****d.

Go burn a cross in Rafer Alston's yard or give Rudy T a blowjob or something.

#6 Van Gundier, Dec 6, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This Old Man, he played one, he played knick knack on my ignore list.....

8. akuma

akuma Member

i can only think of 2 trigger happy players on this Rockets team, and neither are good shooters this season or the last one. so i don't think this type of poll is really relevant to the Rockets.

9. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

Rafer is not 'trigger happy'. He shoots alot, yes, but most (i stress most) of them are open shots. It's not like he's doing a bunch of pull-up 3s with 20 seconds on the shotclock.

Tmac on the other hand...I'm not loving the "I'm obviously off but i'll keep shooting these jumpers anyway" thing.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I say you stick with him. Players are going to go on "cold streaks" naturally -- that'll happen due to random variation. Flip a coin a 100 times, and there could easily be sequences where 1 out of 7 of the flips are Heads or Tails. You still expect the next flip to be 1:1.

Anyways, that's one theory. Another theory is that the "hot hand" really exists. Players really do go in hot streaks or shooting slumps during a game that isn't simply due to randomness.

For a more thorough and technical discussion on this, if you're interested, check out this paper.

11. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Uh oh Poppa Gundy gets upset when I call out his boy. Call me what you will but your boy is the ****ing r****d and no amount of stupid threads are going to change that. Insanity is making the same mistakes over and over again and expecting different results. Deke needs to give him an elbow to the head to knock some sense in him. By the way Poppa Gundy I happen to be a minority who knows a thing or 2 about racism from personal experience. So be careful what you say I don't even call your boy a racist although I found his neanderthal attitude ignorant. Also if you're going to post about your boy on a Rocket board you better have thick skin.

#11 Old Man Rock, Dec 6, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  12. choujie

choujie Member

I can live with losses because our stars shots didn't fall. Especially Yao's. We win more games that way than we lose games.

13. akuma

akuma Member

well he's certainly not shy about shooting the open jumper, even though he misses too many. or put another way, he has never been and never will be a pure shooter, but is sure acting like one.

14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

That's what Pat Riley kept saying to his assistant coaches in game 7 of 1994 NBA Finals.

I am glad he stuck with John Starks. :)

15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Uh-oh! Apparently anger problem runs in the family!

Who is your VSpan?

16. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

If you are going to hijack every thread for the purpose of personal attack on anyone who disagree with you, go **** yourself.

If you cannot discuss the issue other people are discussing without gratifying yourself with personal attacks, go **** yourself.

17. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

If this isn't the r****d's fluffer.

18. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

i get the feel trolls like the attention. shoulda blocked these idiots a long time ago.

19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I know losing is hard for Gundy, his family members and his minions.

But losing and quitting comes with the Gundy package. So might as well get a hold of your anger problem.

Question is...

How many years of Yao/Tmac combo will be wasted?

20. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

The shred of credibility that you once had was just destroyed. Thanks for taking the time to play and best of luck