1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Good luck with that Wendy Davis

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bobmarley, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

He didn't say 'United States' in front of it either.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Pretty funny, but Hispanic isn't a race, hermano. Accordingly, he is not.

3. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

When a person says Supreme Court the usual default is SCOTUS, Will Muschamp.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You needed clarification that Greg Abbott wasn't previously a US Supreme Court Justice?

5. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Marley was surprised to learn that Washington D.C. is not located in Washington or Columbia.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Well, isn't the whole theme of Davis' campaign against Abbot the fact he's a hypocrite?

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I love the fact that liberals across the country have donated to Davis' campaign, that she has now torpedoed, just so she can get on MSNBC. Congrats morons.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The US Census Bureau is just about the only entity that thinks so.

Eh, millions are thrown away on campaigns every year. Everyone knew (or should have known) the Democrats' candidate in Texas had no shot but they gave anyway. I suppose they need to run somebody.

9. Bandwagoner

They probably expected her to run a real campaign tho.

10. SamFisher

The US Census bureau, and everybody who uses that definition, which is probably the majority of americans.

Hispanic is not a race Juan. Hell even La Raza doesn't claim it is. Your kids are not biracial. Sorry.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Not exactly stroke of genius to think you can 'torpedo' a campaign when you're losing by 10+ points with less than a month to go, either.

12. Bandwagoner

She has stopped trying to win the election so she can position herself for a spot on TV. You can torpedo anything, even a complete POS.

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Wait, what... when did we start talking about Sarah Palin? :confused:

14. Bandwagoner

LOL, exactly.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Lol, my kids are tri-racial -- black, chinese, and white. My handle notwithstanding, we're not at all hispanic. But, in real-life interactions (like racial prejudice), hispanics as a group are treated just as blacks are, so your correction is mostly a distinction without a difference.

16. SamFisher

The difference is that most people would laugh at the term biracial or interracial to denote say an Italian American dating a Cuban.

Nobody would use that parlance except for a few. .

This might not have been so of course back in the early 60s, when the anti miscegenation laws that Abbott rather embarrassingly refuses to say his position on were on ylthe books . I mean, it's 2014, we're over this ****. Loving v. VA or Heart of Atlanta or Brown v. Board are not up for debate. And haven't been for quite awhile.

So in sum, yeah if you are a crazy ass racist trapped in the 50s, that boy is a race mixer.

Me? I just prefer to think of him as the latest humiliation that the white folks of Texas have heaped up
    on themselves.

There's actually 3; Abbott, Dan Patrick and uhhhh.....OOPS!

17. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

SamFisher is having a meltdown

sorry, Wendy ain't winning, son

take your frustrations out elsewhere

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

That's not true. Are you asserting that most Americans don't consider Hispanic a race? I think in places like New York or Miami (?) where there's a conscious effort to organize and identify along specific national heritage you can downplay use of the term Hispanic to depict a race, but not elsewhere.

19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

What exactly is hispanics anyway. I mean Mexicans can be a combination of white, indigenous, or just white or indigenous.

are Spanish people and Portugese people part of the Hispanics race and not the white race, what about South Americans.

20. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

I'm Brazilian. My fathers side of the family came from Italy to Brasil and my mother's side came from Portugal. Here in the USA I'm typically referred to has Hispanic. I don't even speak Spanish tho:(