1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Good Golf Lessons in Houston?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by alaskansnowman, Aug 8, 2011.

1. alaskansnowman

Hey guys - am trying to learn the exciting sport of golf finally. Anybody have any good recommendations for instructors as well as $/hr cost of such help? Thanks.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:grin: LOL! "exciting"... oh, man, that's GOLD!

Good one! :cool:

3. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Depends on where you live. Chuck Silva is great at Memorial Park's course and not too expensive.

Pull up their website. I don't remember costs...perhaps $50/hour

4. alaskansnowman

Thanks. I can't seem to find Chuck Silva's website. It should be memorialparkgolfacademy.com but it takes me to another instructor, Carl Collura. I might just sign up with him.

5. droxford

droxford Member

Bear Creek is, by far, the best place in town for beginners.

6. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Dubious back in a golf thread?

There are a couple of ways to go about learning to play golf. You can go expensive or cheap.

The cheap way is to buy the book, 'Ben Hogan's Five Fundamentals Of Golf' for around $15. Go to Golfsmith and tell them you want a used 7 iron (cavity back and offset) with a training grip (about $25) and spend the summer practicing the points of the book.

The mid-price way to is to look for group lessons. Most public courses have them and they are cheaper because they want more people to play golf.
    Mike Torres at Bear Creek has been doing them forever.

Private lessons run from around $50 an hour with some of the younger assistant pros to $100 and hour for the more seasoned teachers. (You could spend $2000 for an hour with David Ledbetter).

So it depends on your seriousness, your pocket book, and your athletic ability or skill level.

If you tell me where you live and answer the question above and I'll give you a more specific recommendation.

7. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

In my opinion, if you really, really want to play golf, you should invest in a few private lessons. Get the basics and fundamentals down in your swing before you go practice. Once you get the basic swing correct, its about practice and playing to get better.

If you teach yourself, you'll "learn" incorrect swing patterns that are more difficult to fix later on rather than learning the correct way from the beginning.

Also, spend the first week of learning to play golf on your grip and stance.

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

If your south of Houston Green Caye is the perfect beginner course, 11 bucks a round w/ cart. Easy par 3 course. It's about 3 miles away from the boardwalk.

http://www.thelinksatgreencaye.com

9. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I live in Redstone. Anyone know if any of the trainers there are any good?

10. alaskansnowman

Thanks for the responses.

Dubious - I live in Montrose area and am fine going the expensive route. I actually do have Ben Hogan's book as well and will have to actually begin referring to it from time to time.

11. droxford

droxford Member

When I was a beginner, many years ago, I went to group classes led by Mike. He's awesome!

Sadly, my game isn't any better than it was years ago.

Great golf game = lots of practice = lots of time and money.