1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

good article on Rockets.com on Dream's greatness...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by farhan007, Nov 30, 2003.

1. farhan007

farhan007 Member

Here is the link to the site. It's an excerpt out of a book by Elliott Kalb called "Who’s Better, Who’s Best in Basketball?" Gives a good comparison on the match-ups dream faced in the playoffs with other great centers. The 1995 western conference finals still amazes me. 3 40+ pt nights in one series. That is called greatness!!!

2. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Yes indeed... The nicest most humble person I have ever met

3. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Let me take this opportunity to say that Yao will never do that.

Not a bash... just a gut feeling.

After all, the Rockets would have to get to the playoffs at least three to five times, with two losing efforts in the finals first.

4. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

What? Dream=Amare????

NO WAY!!!

5. montelwilliams

good read. thx.

6. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Great read, thanks for the link

7. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Agreed. Yao is too damn unathletic. He has almost no vertical explosion and is a little slow to react to things.
    The more I watch these Rockets, the more I realize what a great player Olajuwon was. He was truly a beast.
    To me, the only player that resembles him today is Kevin Garnett, only KG isn't as strong as Dream was.

8. mirror_image

mirror_image Contributing Member

Great article. Thanks for your findings.

9. Palmray

Palmray Contributing Member

nice stuff - thanks

10. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

I agree.

No way Amare will be Hakeem.

Bank on that.

11. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Akeem is my basketball hero.

12. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Hakeem had the quickness and athleticism of a SF but the strength and build of a PF/C. Yao is not comparable to Hakeem.

13. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

nobody is comparable to hakeem. he was a freak. he was unbelieveble athletic and he was strong. he was unstopable on offense and one of the best defensive players ever. nobody will be like hakeem was.

14. sun12

sun12 Member

In the 1995 WC final, Dream certainly outplayed Robinson, but I blamed Spurs coach for not double-teaming Dream and Rudy was smart enough in double-teaming Robinson. If both players were double-teamed by their opponent, Rox certainly would still win, but the series would be much closer.

15. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

paleez....we still would have kicked the spurs butt

16. PhiSlammaJamma

Damn. That article covered just about everything. The olny thing it forgot to address was the fact that when the chips were really down, Dream took the whole city and the whole team on his shoulders, and carried them to the finish line.

17. declan32001

declan32001 Member

It's a good read. It's hard to believe more here don't really remember.

Most of the seniors have stayed away from this thread I see, but I'd like to see some people bother to point out that Olajuwon's statistical reference points are a joke.

Er yeah, he did a lot of things that showed up in the boxscore. And too few Houstonians realized, er ok, no one one's done this or that before. Big deal. It wasn't one then either.

E was my hero growing up, Moses took everything but your pocket change and wanted and provided more. I never thought Dream had a chance of being as good as either one of them.

Instead he started doing things no one else could do. The Russell/Dream debates always crack me up. Russell was always a smarter basketball player than anyone - and he dismissed almost everyone- almost all the names you can name.

When he was an analyst he publically questioned Dream, and I'll always believe it was because he couldn't believe what he was seeing.

Dream let him down, no doubt. Russell had talent out the yazoo and couldn't fathom what Dream had, and he let the world know it.

Hakeem left us championships, in a city highly-starved for them.

A hundred or so of his best games never showed up on the stat sheet, and I'm glad.

But this article should be required reading - why is Mutumbo even mentioned in the same article? Does Kareem think he was a better shot-blocker than Russell or Wilt?

And for those that may fret about the Stoudamire comparisons, I can honestly tell you I'd be happy if he's remotely as talented as Dream. Because I'll pay to watch anyone who is. Of course the poor S.O.B. had better inventing stuff. :)