1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gone Rocket Gone - Twill and Jonny

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by daywalker02, Feb 19, 2012.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Terrence Williams is going to be a perfect fit as a volume shooter on a mediocre to bad team.

It just won't be this team.

Best of luck in your efforts trying to dupe some NBA club into letting you become the next Gilbert Arenas, Terrence.

2. TheresTheDagger

So none of this has to do with Terrence? Ya right.

Look here's the difference. Lin waited patiently, didn't tweet about how angry he is, worked hard, got his chance and made the best of it.

THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF WHAT TWILL HAS DONE.

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

This is just dumb. Do you think any coach in the league will allow a pg to average 7 to's a game? Yep,high iq and he keeps driving and losing the ball.gtfo

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think one of the flaws here is playing him at the SF spot rather than at SG where hecanuse his size as an advantage.

When Adleman, Johnson and McHale all put the guy at the end of the bench or in the DL , its pretty telling IMO. Despite his athletic ability , the guy just isnt smart enough nor hard working enough to be an NBA player. We have seen literally no improvement since he first joined this team.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Williams is 6'6 and he's really strong. McHale even had him guarding the other team's PF in the post in an early game, as I remember (and he did a decent job too).

We're not talking about Courtney Lee here. He's a swing man, and I feel he definitely has enough size to be play SF. Its just a matter of him proving himself to the coach over Chandler Parsons, and he didn't do it.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

Weird that TWill is a one man wrecking crew on 2k11. He singlehandedly destroyed all my guards in that game. Now how did the developers make him so good in that game?? He must've done something right the previous season.

7. pge71188

pge71188 Member

Maybe I hope twill goes to the warriors or clippers.

8. inishi

inishi Member

Jermaine Taylor?

9. conquistador#11

if the nba ever went to a three on three half court format, T-will would be a hall of famer. you heard it here first!

10. Broford

Broford Member

The stupidest mistake would be to give a scrub unearned playing time just because of a sunk cost.

11. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seems the more likely solution is that the developers did something wrong.

The trade for Williams was a stupid mistake - stupid because it cost us a 1st round pick when we clearly need as many as possible and stupid because we really didn't have a place for him on the team. I've defended Morey because he's in a difficult boat with Alexander's refusal to allow for an "off-year," but that refusal hasn't been a secret. Knowing that the owner and (of course) coaches want winning basketball, there simply wasn't going to be the opportunity to unconditionally give borderline NBA players significant minutes.

That being said, the idea that someone is going to develop adequate basketball "smarts" by seeing more playing time is ridiculous. It doesn't happen - basketball IQ is just a much of a "gift" as vertical leap and agility. Players with 10x the talent of Williams (Iverson and Francis, to name a couple) never figured out the team game. Or maybe they didn't want to. It doesn't really matter - the end result was the same (stat hoggers who couldn't really make their teams win - Iverson's lone Finals appearance being the one anomaly).

Williams reminds me a lot of Dan Langhi (remember him?). Everyone jumped on Langhi's jock for his supposed offensive gifts, but the main thing I remember about him was his inability to figure out his spot on the floor. The guy was always in the way and then compounded things by not hitting the open jumper when he got it. He was a mental scrub who (not unlike Williams) got bratty about his playing time in his 2nd year and was soon out of the NBA. The fact that we traded Najera (who turned into a solid NBA defender and bench player and whose blue-collar attitude would have been a godsend to that Francis-led team) for him showed the same lack of respect for effort and basketball intelligence that we now see when discussing Williams. I'm not saying you build a team around Shane Battier, Chuck Hayes and Chandler Parsons, but you also don't give these guys up (via trade or letting them go) for athletic freaks who don't understand your basic sets.

1 person likes this.
  12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I just dont understand why we make no effort to play these guys (TWill, Thabeet, Flynn) and try to get some kind of interest in them going as a trade asset. I'm not saying start em or give them significant minutes, I'm talking garbage time... I mean 'mystery box' appeal is one thing - but when someone like Thabeet cant get on the floor when we got JHill as bu center and even scola at some points... value is down to nothing.... I mean put them in for some garbage minutes in a blowout, run a couple plays for them and try to get some interest generated...

13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Agreed!

We don't see what happens at practice/ behind closed doors. But if Williams' tweets are anything to go by, the man has attitude problems and mental problems.

Just because you make ONE mistake and bring someone to the club does not mean you are forced to make a SECOND mistake and clear house to play the guy.

14. Possum

Possum Member

Good ridence you should have a great career playin street ball after the NBA GM's and coaches realize that's all you are!

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Twill has all the talent, he just won't follow coaching. When he comes in...er, used to come in...with the second unit, he'd be constantly waving off Dragic (would someone please teach Drexler to say this guy's name?), not even looking at Dragic, really. And if the rest of this team is guilty of over-dribbling, Twill took it to extremes.

I can stand losing the player, but not the draft pick. Don't know what Morey was thinking. Backup 2/3's are not too hard to find in the NBA.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He's clearly not producing in practice. If he were, he would find minutes on the court. So yeah, it's way past time for some self-reflection.

17. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

It is pretty dumb that we never gave Terrence a chance. He could be really good and we will never know.

18. Margrave

Margrave Member

No offense Deckard, but how do you or anyone else know that?

There are not a lot of practices during an NBA season to begin with, and once a rotation is set with players the coach likes, ie style, hustle etc, it is very difficult to break into a rotation.

While not a believer in TWill per se, I do believe that some players are better practice players and some are better game players.

What has become patently obvious, at least to me, is that Morey seems to be pretty good at finding productive role players, but has been pretty bad at finding PLUS type of talent for the NBA.

He thought TWill had superstar potential, ok, then why not play the guy to find that out?

One would think that the Jeremy Lin fiasco would alert them that practice is just practice, sometimes you need to put them in a game and let them go to work.

Whether TWill ever develops is way up in the air, but in a season like this, he should have been given minutes at the start, we already know that Lee, CBud, Kmart, Lowry are not good enough to take this team anywhere, might as well find out if TWill and all his physical attributes can lift it to higher ground.

19. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

See here is the biggest problem.

Some fans have the misconception about things that are within Morey's power.

For example, salary moves, signing players, tanking, they ultimately need to go through Les.

Playing players however, is just as much as it is on the coach as it is on the GM.

People were saying that RA didn't give Thabeet and T-Will a chance. Okay, so let's assume that is true. Les wanted to part ways with Rick so Morey brought in a new coach, and when McHale was brought I'm sure he is told to give the 09'ers more opportunities.

And that's exactly what McHale did, he gave them opportunities yet they still couldn't prove themselves capable.

You also need to get your facts straight, the organization wanted to keep Lin, they held the Dalembert signing to the last minute because they were most likely looking for a move to free up room for Lin.

20. Margrave

Margrave Member

Absolutely 100% agree with you. And McHale has never been known as a guy that has developed talent or recognized it very well, look at Minny for example, he did a lousy job as GM and a suspect one as coach.

I will concede that they made their mind up about the 09ers, and that more than likely they are right about all of them being busts, but in order to find out you have to let them sink or swim.

As to your last point about them wanting to keep Lin, they should have, and if they wanted to, they could have easily found a way.

Or are you saying that teams were desperately seeking the services of Jeff Adrien?