1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Golf] The PGA vs LIV - Round 1 - fight!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by DaDakota, Jun 7, 2022.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They should look at Tennis as an example there are appearance fees.

And the people that left TRIED TO CHANGE IT WITH THE PGA first but were basically shrugged off, creating the opportunity.

The PGA is a glorified tournament organizer but has somehow gotten to control too much of the pie for not actually having any SKILL at golf.....they literally LEECH off others work.

DD

Roxoff likes this.
  2. Roxoff

Roxoff Member

I’m with DD on this, nobody should be mad at the LIV players for grabbing the generational wealth.

They should look inward at the PGA, and try to see what the players that left saw. There was an obvious issue that hopefully will be corrected & benefit the game of golf as a whole.

“they only saw money, no need to look inward!”
    Enjoy the new product.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t follow Golf but I just saw Rory McIlroy’s comments about the merger and I agree with him a 100%. Players like him took a stand and thought they had the support of the league but have gotten screwed over.

There is a lot of corruption in pro sports and money papering over things but the nakedness of this move is shocking.

More reason for me not to follow golf.

ROCKSS, T_Man and juicystream like this.
  5. astros123

astros123 Member

Huh? You do know the doj will block the merger right? I'm not sure why people are assuming it's a done deal when it'll be blocked

6. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Democrat’s bill would strip PGA Tour of tax exemption after LIV merger

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/...p-pga-tour-of-tax-exemption-after-liv-merger/

Rep. John Garamendi (D-Calif.) has introduced legislation that would strip the PGA Tour of its tax exempt status after the golfing league announced its agreement to merge with the Saudi-backed LIV Golf league.

The bill, the “No Corporate Tax Exemption for Professional Sports Act,” would end the tax loophole that the PGA Tour and other professional sports leagues have exploited to avoid paying any federal corporate income tax. Leagues that generate more than $100 million annually in corporate income would become taxable.

In a statement, Garamendi said that Saudi Arabia “cannot be allowed to sports wash its government’s horrific human rights abuses and the 2018 murder of American-based journalist Jamal Khashoggi.”

LIV Golf, founded in 2021, is backed by the Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund, an entity led by Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

“PGA Tour Commissioner Jay Monahan should be ashamed of the blatant hypocrisy and about-face he and the rest of PGA’s leadership demonstrated by allowing the sovereign wealth fund of a foreign government with an unconscionable human rights record to take over an iconic American sports league and avoid paying a penny in federal corporate income tax,” Garamendi said in his statement. “This merger flies in the face of the PGA players who turned down hundred-million-dollar paydays from the Saudi-backed LIV to align themselves with the right side of history and human decency.”

“The notion that the Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund would pay zero dollars in taxes on their blood money and potentially billions of dollars in profits while countless American families pay their fair share while struggling to make ends meet is ludicrous,” Garamendi concluded. “My commonsense legislation would right this wrong and bring some much-needed accountability to this matter.”

The PGA Tour announced Tuesday that it has agreed to merge with rival LIV Golf to create one larger golf organization.

The agreement will combine both golfing tours’ commercial businesses into one for-profit yet-to-be-named entity. The DP World Tour, also known as the European PGA Tour, will also be part of the merger.

The agreement also ends a yearlong antitrust litigation between the two golfing leagues. The PGA Tour, founded in 1929, previously suspended a list of prominent golfers such as Phil Mickelson, Brooks Koepka, and Bryson DeChambeau for their decision to jump ship to the upstart league.

T_Man

REEKO_HTOWN and DaDakota like this.
  7. astros123

astros123 Member

It won't make it pass the vetting phase. It's clearly in violation of the Sherman act. It's clearly violating anti trust laws

Tim was a senior advisor to biden and his friend is chair of FTC.

8. astros123

astros123 Member

9. T_Man

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

This whole thing continues to just be weird. If government bans the deal, what stops the Saudi's from shutting down LIV and sponsoring the PGA?

In an ideal world, LIV will just be something the Saudis wasted billions of dollars on, and loyal PGA members get their full worth, and LIV players are eventually included back into the fold.

11. T_Man

Maybe... I don't see the PGA accepting all of them back.. Reed, Mickleson, Garcia...

T_Man

12. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

Works for Golf and Baseball

13. T_Man

Did you just say NCAA!!!

T_Man

DaDakota likes this.
  14. i3artow i3aller

15. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Looks like John Rahm is defecting to LIV.........................this sucks, I really like him but reports say he will get $300 million. It's hard to begrudge them but I hate the format of LIV and I wont watch it (I tried and its just weird knowing its all backed by the Saudi`s)

I hope when the PGA gets control they can fix this crap and LIV dies a slow painful death.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/i...ters-champ-jon-rahm-leaving-pga-tour-liv-golf

16. T_Man

LIV know that they are in trouble, but they are worried about the PGA pulling out of the deal because the politicians got involved....

So they basically did that to force the PGA to make a decision.

T_Man

ROCKSS likes this.
  17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

18. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I can't blame the dude for taking the money................but come on, don't say it's not about the money, he has said before he doesn't like the format and wants to play against the best............now he goes to a league who barely gets on the CW network. I cant fathom being offered generational wealth but you have to actually take a step back to get it..................its a no-win situation if you're a fan, the blood thirsty Saudi's have an open check book and will white wash this league.........................if I were him, I would do the same thing, but it sucks

T_Man likes this.
  19. T_Man

I agree.. Stop saying it's not about the money when it is.. This is why I also have so much respect for Harold V... He flat out stated. It's for the money..

T_Man

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Knew this would happen.

DD