1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Golf] The PGA vs LIV - Round 1 - fight!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by DaDakota, Jun 7, 2022.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Jontro likes this.
  2. Newlin

Newlin Member

Too early to say how this will pan out. The field for these new events is limited to 48 players, so it’s not like they can accommodate any player that wants to play. Also, I read where these new events will not count toward the official world rankings that many top players use to gain entry into the major championships. That’s a big drawback.

I wonder about the sustainability of this tour. I know that the Saudis are flush with money, but at some point you want to see a return on the investment.

The format for the new events seems overly complicated. A combination of individual play and team play. I think a lot of golf fans like the simplicity of how it is done on the PGA tour.

Yes, the PGA tour probably will make some changes to get more money to the players. I’ve heard that there are discussions about how to do this.

I really hope that the Players think long and hard about playing on this new tour. Professional events around the world are usually charitable events that give back to the community. Many of the people working at these events are volunteers. Many PGA events have a very long history of providing a first rate event for the players. I hope the players take all of this into consideration before turning their back on a tour that has made some of them very wealthy.

Keep in mind that the average PGA tour event already misses out on many of the top players. The top players are already playing a pretty limited schedule. The tournament’s are still good events, even without Dustin Johnson or Phil Mickelson. Nowadays, any PGA tour event has a very deep field of talented players.

#2 Newlin, Jun 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
  3. DaDakota

Dustin Johnson got 120m for playing there for the year.....anyone would be a fool not to take that money.

The PGA is corrupt and doesn't look out for all the players anyway, competition is good.

DD

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

At least they don't murder people...

The LIV Tour won't last and these players are going to continue to lose major sponsorships. The PGA will ultimately take them back, so they aren't going to lose everything, but they'll live with some shame.

Astrodome likes this.
  5. DaDakota

No doubt but if you are Dustin Johnson and you get offered 120m to switch for a year - you take the money - he made the right decision for his family, he will make 10x the money he usually makes in one year and he can play in fewer tournaments.

Generational wealth, take that blood money.

There will be no shame with that $120m in their pockets and being able to live for the rest of their lives in comfort....I doubt they give 2 ***** what you or I or others think about it, nor should they.

DD

Jontro likes this.
  6. juicystream

DJ is estimated to have made $45M last year. He already had generational wealth. I do think they'll make more money (especially given the talent pool will be diluted), and that is their choice.

Newlin likes this.
  7. DaDakota

He allegedly got $120m in appearance fees for switching, that is nearly 3x the money and he doesn't have to tip his caddy any of it.....

He made the right choice, and more will follow the PGA will need to adjust and all those fat cats that fly around and live off the talent of the players are going to have to take a hair cut.

DD

Jontro likes this.
  8. DaDakota

#8 DaDakota, Jun 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
  9. juicystream

While the amount I'm sure is accurate, we don't know if there are multiple years attached to it or if it is lump sum. We do know they are throwing around a ridiculous amount of money and the vast majority of players turned them down. Time will tell. I do expect the max PGA does is ban for 1 year, and sponsors will be back a year later if they start to win. America loves their redemption stories.

Jontro likes this.
  10. DaDakota

Sponsors won't leave if they still help them self golf equipment.

The PGA has overplayed it's hand on individual contractors.

This is good for the sport....competition raises the bar.

DD

Jontro likes this.
  11. juicystream

Right now it doesn't. They risk relationships with the PGA, having the appearance of supporting the Saudi government, and most importantly to them, the matches won't be televised currently which means fewer people will be seeing their products in action. Sponsors have little incentive to keep those players on their current deals which were based on them playing on the PGA tour.

If I ran the PGA, I would have granted the releases (players get up to 3 per year, but PGA has right to deny), but that wasn't the choice they made.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Sponsors have already dropped DJ and others for leaving the PGA. RBC dumped him the minute he mentioned playing in the tournament.

Whether it's good for the sport or not is something that can't be definitively stated for some time. It's good for those individuals and their already very large bank accounts. No way to know what it will do for golf going forward.

13. DaDakota

Phil got 200m....to join.....

He would be a moron to say no.

DD

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

I believe the majors not directly affiliated or sponsored by the PGA (Masters, US Open, Open Championship) have all said they won't ban players who have left the PGA Tour but have qualified for the tournament. Most golfers who have won those tours get long exemptions from having to qualify so all the top guys who switched over to LIV should still be participating at the US and Open Championships later this summer.

I would assume since its part of the namesake that LIV golfers will not be able to play in the PGA Championship moving forward.

16. PhiSlammaJamma

My take...

If I am not Tiger Woods, why would I want to play in the PGA tour... for the honor of winning maybe one or two majors that nobody really cares about or remembers. Right now it's more of a personal respect and tour respect, than it is public respect. That has some value. Not much. There's only one or two golfers who are chasing majors. Right now, it is better competition, but if half of them leave, it won't be. So the value of the major goes down too.

The PGA has some leverage right now. No question. But for how long. The prestige they offer is going to get drowned out by the cash. Money talks. The PGA needs to poney up to maintain leverage.

As for the Saudi's, they need the PGA's better half of golfers, or seriously, what is the point. Do I think there is any real danger playing on their tour, not really. Do I think it's blood money, No. Do I think doing business with Saudi's is a bad look, no, we already do it as a country. and if they fail, do I think the PGA will black ball the players in a return, nope. Those guys are money in their pocket. They won't turn them away.

PGA is in a power play for money. It's not political.

Think the PGA will win in the short term, but they will lose in the long term. The money is too big. And the players want it.

17. juicystream

PGA Tour is separate from PGA of America, so they don't have control over that. They probably will get to play in all 4 if they meet the qualifiers. Phil has won the PGA and Masters, so he's in for life at both, and the Open until age 60.

Reed is facing the biggest risk as he won the Masters 4 years ago. Meaning he's only guaranteed the Masters next year under current rules.

18. DaDakota

19. juicystream

20. i3artow i3aller