1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Golden State Warriors and Moving Screens

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by dream2franchise, Nov 4, 2015.

1. glenadyll

glenadyll Contributing Member

LOL...look at Luke Walton standing up on the bench complaining and yelling at the ref as his own guy performs a form tackle on Marcus Smart.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

And the ref is like "what?" shrugs off the chop block. They are so following NBA orders to help the Warriors no matter what. Pretty disgusting.

At least it will be fun to cheer against the GS Moving Screens (at least until they win the title).

3. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Invariably there's little to complain about when your team wins.

Regardless, the Warriors have been setting these illegal screens for years. By now every team should be trying to get away with them...

4. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Every team does including the Houston Rockets.

People just ignore it when we do it, and cry about it when the Warriors do.

Wah Wah. If the league is fixing the game so the Warriors win, why are you even watching if you know you have no chance ever?

5. amaru

amaru Member

It's obvious to everyone that they get away with moving screens. Hell Green got away with an open field tackle last night lol

NBA is a business first. Curry bombs sell merchandise

6. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Every team gets away with moving screens. Dwight sets an illegal screen pretty much every single time he sets a screen!!! (Knees wider than shoulders.)

and the Green play there, Turner slid tackled him to the floor and he's allowed to get up, which is why it wasn't called. If anything they should have called the Turner foul on Green? Right?

Call it like it is, don't just be a hater.

7. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Once again, if you all want to b**** and moan about the 2nd foul, you have to acknowledge the first one on Turner, regardless of intent.

8. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Huh? I never said the NBA was fixing games. In fact I said the Warriors have been doing this for years, aka before they were the golden child.

Every team does not do it as much as the Warriors. Bogut himself has mentioned it in interviews a number of times.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Thank you. I'm sure it was a coincidence that of an entire league, and of all sports, the Warriors April Fool prank was a front page promoted video (and lame as hell that. Festus didn't even make a facial expression when told he was getting cut, which was pretty cruel anyway).

Look, people. I'm really never a hater. But living in Bay Area makes me even more saturated than most of you with all the warriors slobbering. It's too much. Curry farts and the media swoons -- "best fart ever!" Sick of it. Their national coverage is completely subjective garbage. So if we want to complain about their moving screens, deal with it. It's the internet, and people can complain.

As far as other teams setting moving screens: yeah, to a degree, though no other team has the splash brothers to take advantage of it. And finally, it's false to say the rockets set moving screens, because a moving screen implies an offensive set. :grin:

10. OTMax

OTMax Member

That tackle has got to be the worst I've ever seen not getting called. Green looks up and just goes for it and takes him down. Has absolutely zero to do with the first foul. Referee CLEARLY sees it and shrugs his shoulders like he wants to call it, but cannot. The reasons could be as simple as it's late in the game or Green does it all the time. It wouldn't surprised me in the least if they are given instructions to give the Warriors more leeway. They have been that team of everybody moving on screens, so like the Jazz used to get away with murder, these guys can to. Team identity created and allowed by the league. I'm almost done with watching the NBA entirely.

11. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Basically, every NBA screen is moving screen. I watched 90%+ Rockets games, and Howard moves EVERY TIME when he set up the picks, either use his hip, or step up again to block the defender.

People pick up GSW because they are too good, AND they used so many screens to free up shooters, make it hard to ignore.

12. MiracleShot

MiracleShot Member

Every NBA screen is a moving screen in the sense that, yes, they often shuffle their feet and use their hip or step into the screen. You are absolutely not allowed to grab the other player with your arms, put your hands/arms into their chest while taking several huge steps towards them, or outright tackle them, and Golden State does this every game. There's a reason that Steph and Klay are always so wide open. Pretty sure all the opposing teams know they can shoot.

13. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

The screener is likely to move slightly when the defender runs into him because of simple physics and momentum.

What Golden State does is continue to walk backwards into the defender's path, which is illegal, or wrap their arms around the defender like an offensive lineman preventing the defender from moving. Green takes it even further by pushing the defender off.

Those screens are so illegal that it's not even funny. But they are never called against Golden State.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

lols

The NBA didn't have to release a last 2-minute report on the Celtics/Warriors game because it wasn't within 5 pts at the two-minute mark -- so, doesn't fit the criteria of the report. Klay hit a 3pter at 1:55 to bring it to within 4 pts though.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This has been quite noticeable to me as a Rockets fan ever since last year's series.

They get away with it like nothing I've ever seen.

Combine one of the best shooters of all time with an offensive line and that's going to be hard to beat.

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This statement is unproductive. It's just semantics.

This one is the same. It's an attempt to deflect away from what seems like obvious video evidence with a wet blanket statement.

Video evidence / watching live games suggest that what's going on for the Warriors is going on at a much higher degree than other teams, whatever word you want to use for it.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Why is it unproductive? It's not semantics. It is quite true if you just watch every screen in any game. You can say that some of the moving screens by GSW are more blatant than the others. But you can't say that most of their screens are like that. If the rest of the league do not get called for those "normal" moving screens, why should the Warriors, just because their offense has more picks than others?

18. bmd

bmd Member

No, it's different with the Warriors. They are much more egregious and blatant about it.

Yeah, Howard and other guys might give a slight hip bump or might move a little bit to make some contact on the screen (and Howard gets called for it all the time), but with the Warriors, they literally block guys like an offensive lineman in football or wrap guys up like they are hugging them.

I mean these aren't little bumps... they are blatant attempts to get their shooters wide open and they set the most blatantly illegal screens and they rarely get called for it.

If Howard was blocking guys like Bogut does, he would foul out in the first quarter.

All teams get away with a little bit of illegal contact on their screens... but what the Warriors do is illegal on another level.

19. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

Add this to the clip of Green taking down Ariza in last year's WCF.

It's completely ridiculous what he's able to get away with... Green is literally allowed to tackle people and take them to the ground with impunity.

20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

If this is the biggest criticism of the best regular season in history, the current NBA champ, I'd be fine with it if it were my team. So would you.